High Voltage Forum

General electronics => Beginners => Topic started by: CEDEng on October 23, 2018, 10:05:20 PM

Title: Search for Parts...
Post by: CEDEng on October 23, 2018, 10:05:20 PM
First post, thanks for the help in Advance. 

Let me start by saying I have $oogled this topic to death, no luck, so I'm joining forums willy-nilly to find an answer!  I need some parts to SAFELY put together a small project.  The parts are:

Any small-ish din-rail style screw-tight terminal block good for 5kV or more;  OR

Any random manufacturer or part # for the white "plug" end of a Hipot lead from a quadtech/chroma HIPOT tester.

I'm not really a "beginner" but I'm also not sure where else to post this!  These may seem like "easy" questions, but apparently, the gods of the InterWebz are conspiring against me on this one.

Bottom line is - I need to terminate one HV wire in a box.  Best case - I recreate what's on a HiPot tester, and just use that, plug socket and all.  For that, I need the white "plug" part and mating bulkhead connector. 

Second best - I feed the wire into the box - and screw it into a terminal, rest of circuit fully assembled. 

Minor detail - I have a ton of the Chroma testers, thus the request for mates.

Hope you can help - thanks either way!

Title: Re: Search for Parts...
Post by: Mads Barnkob on October 24, 2018, 08:13:53 AM
Hi and welcome to HVF

I actually thought, like you, that you could just google some 6kV terminal blocks and find a standard DIN rail mounted system, but certainly not :)

I guess its not really used, so the good old large terminal blocks are still used for these special cases: https://www.weidmueller.com/int/products/product-innovations/product-innovations-2018/cabinet/high-voltage-terminal-hv-2700-and-hv-4000

You should maybe look into high voltage BNC connectors? https://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/mhv.html
Title: Re: Search for Parts...
Post by: the_anomaly on October 24, 2018, 01:16:14 PM
You can buy the plug end from Chroma directly: http://www.shopchromausa.com/hipot-safety-page-2/?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=32&pg=2&pagesize=30

I've not registered to see the price but I would think its reasonable.  A company I worked for used to do this when production wore out the cable.

If you need a plug/socket combo, Amphenol Alden makes some HV ones.  https://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/HVWire-2.html
Title: Re: Search for Parts...
Post by: CEDEng on October 24, 2018, 02:53:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

As it turns out, I've been down the same roads -

The chroma single-piece price is unbelievable (I won't post it here) considering I just need the plastic "end" part...

The Weidmuellers seemed promising, except they are larger than my entire enclosure - I can keep them in mind for the next thing though.

The Amphenol will solve some of my problems, but what I mainly need to do is either a)  run a lead with "End" from my box and plug it directly into my Quadtech (requires the correct plastic end) OR use my Quadtech lead, cut off the alligator clip, and terminate it neatly in my box (Terminal block).  Either way is fine with me, but for such a simple puzzle it is turning out to be a real time-sucker!

I could use the Amphenol pair - cut off the alligator clip from the test lead, use the amphenol end, and mount the mate to the box...that's not impossible. 

I found these:  http://hvstuff.com/high-voltage-connectors-plugs-sockets

But I can't find anything that tells me I can trust them with my cc.  Any one have any experience with them?

Thanks again!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal