Author Topic: Looking for a good schematic to follow for my first audio sstc coil :3  (Read 2290 times)

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• High Voltage Enthusiast
  • Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU
Hi,
i was designing my drsstc, and with the help of the forum i got pretty much the 3d project done and i was ready to start doing the bridge but then i realized that i knowed just a little and instead of starting with full on bricks ::) i would have liked to start with something smaller in a TO-247 format  ;D.

So here i am asking for a good yet affordable schematic to make an sstc with good henaf spark lenght and that is audiomodulated, preferibly high quality (with midi and cheap optic cable perhaps?).

Im a bit on a budget so i cant really spend all my moneys on this project but i would also like to have around 30 to 50cm of sparks if is possible..
i was following a youtube channel that really had some nice resolts! im gonna leve the link at the end of this post so that you can have an idea of what i would like to have as a spark lenght.
i was planning to use some 60n65 since they are pretty easy and common to diagnosticate if it fails..

please leave me some good schematics that i can follow/edit to my needs (i would need help for that tho).

this is the yt vid (around 20secs in):

Online AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Czech Technical University in Prague
    • View Profile
    • UHVlab - Tesla Coils | High Voltage | Education
I highly recommend using CD4046 to drive an SSTC, it's quite reliable, easy to modulate with analog audio and in case of feedback error it won't destroy your transistors.

I have built such coil with schematics https://www.uhvlab.org/sstc-ii

My coil is just slightly modified version of https://www.vn-experimenty.eu/teslov-transformator/sstc/sstc-5.html (not available in english)
Bc. Marek Novotny
Czech Republic, Czech Technical University in Prague
www.uhvlab.org

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU
I highly recommend using CD4046 to drive an SSTC, it's quite reliable, easy to modulate with analog audio and in case of feedback error it won't destroy your transistors.

I have built such coil with schematics https://www.uhvlab.org/sstc-ii

My coil is just slightly modified version of https://www.vn-experimenty.eu/teslov-transformator/sstc/sstc-5.html (not available in english)

well yeah... this looks good.. but i was looking for something less "noisy" with the audio and a bit longer sparks with audio... so something a bit more.. midi style lets say.. also i looked into the schematics and buildings.. it not THAT easy haha a lot of transistors etc... im looking for something simpler with the driver too.. i mean.. i have a ud2.7C driver so maybe i could use that.. but i need to check if its in good shape...
if its not i need something more simple to do...

this said.. i would like to ask for something with less transistors.. easyer driver.. and more clear sparks with audio modulation :3
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:15:22 PM by ItsChloeUwU »

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU

Online AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
UD2.7 can drive an SSTC but DRSSTCs usually run very short duty cycles, for continuous or long duty cycles, adding a little more DC capacitance to the driver board might be a good idea. Also those small SMD packages with Gate drivers might overheat.

Before creating my first SSTC, I wanted the exact same thing as you; a simple, easy to build driver but those drivers are usually unreliable in one way or another. I ended up building 4 different drivers until I finally decided to build PLL CD4046 driver which finally solved everything. This driver can also be easily modified for using MIDI instead of mp3 audio. For example using ENABLE pin of Gate drivers.

But in case you don't want to get your hands on phase lock loop I suggest you try following driver:

From https://www.vn-experimenty.eu/teslov-transformator/sstc/sstc-4.html

It uses 74HC14 in combination with capacitor and resistor to create a simple oscillator which drives the coil before an antenna/CT feedback is up and running.

Also, there is no need to use so many transistors as I have used in my coil. My coil was drawing over 3kW of power, in case you're aiming for lower input power you may build a single full bridge or even a half bridge.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:28:20 PM by AstRii »
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline ZakW

• High Voltage Technician
  • YouTube @QZW_Labs
    • View Profile
Hello,

This topic has been discussed a lot before and there are a lot of great starter SSTCs out there (also forum rule #2...). Have you tried looking for similar questions on the forum? Which circuits have you considered building?

Here are a few great links that have several builds and varying levels of power and complexity. Most of them can be modified slightly to add audio modulation.

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/
https://www.stevehv.4hv.org/SSTCindex.htm
https://www.loneoceans.com/labs/#

-Zak

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU
Hello,

This topic has been discussed a lot before and there are a lot of great starter SSTCs out there (also forum rule #2...). Have you tried looking for similar questions on the forum? Which circuits have you considered building?

Here are a few great links that have several builds and varying levels of power and complexity. Most of them can be modified slightly to add audio modulation.

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/
https://www.stevehv.4hv.org/SSTCindex.htm
https://www.loneoceans.com/labs/#

-Zak

Hi Zak,
yes im aware of role 2 but tbh i could not find any good MIDI interrupted sstc and with great sparks like the Fabricio one... so yeah... :c

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU
UD2.7 can drive an SSTC but DRSSTCs usually run very short duty cycles, for continuous or long duty cycles, adding a little more DC capacitance to the driver board might be a good idea. Also those small SMD packages with Gate drivers might overheat.

Before creating my first SSTC, I wanted the exact same thing as you; a simple, easy to build driver but those drivers are usually unreliable in one way or another. I ended up building 4 different drivers until I finally decided to build PLL CD4046 driver which finally solved everything. This driver can also be easily modified for using MIDI instead of mp3 audio. For example using ENABLE pin of Gate drivers.

But in case you don't want to get your hands on phase lock loop I suggest you try following driver:

It uses 74HC14 in combination with capacitor and resistor to create a simple oscillator which drives the coil before an antenna/CT feedback is up and running.

Also, there is no need to use so many transistors as I have used in my coil. My coil was drawing over 3kW of power, in case you're aiming for lower input power you may build a single full bridge or even a half bridge.

Seeing the Fabricio one (the video above) his coil is easy and small packaged wich is another thing im trying to aim for... so yeah... idk... i guess a drsstc then? :c

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU

Seeing the Fabricio one (the video above) his coil is easy and small packaged wich is another thing im trying to aim for... so yeah... idk... i guess a drsstc then? :c

Online AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
DRSSTC adds a bit of complexity as you need to design an MMC (which can be costly) and there is much higher chance of over-coupling creating racing sparks.
DRSSTC offers much higher efficiency due to zero current switching, that's why DR coils are usually quite "small packaged", there is no need for big heatsinks. However SSTC can be compact as well, it's all about layout design.
If you're aiming for smaller design, you just have to accept you'll be switching lower power.

Pretty much any SSTC driver is able (or can be modified) to play MIDI. But being able to play MIDI is not just a matter of having a coil, you also need a good interrupter and MIDI files which sounds good on the coil. Not every MIDI file can be played on a Tesla coil.
Franzoli is well known for creating his own MIDI files with special features which allows him to play great sounding MIDI on his coils.

Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Franzoli is well known for creating his own MIDI files with special features which allows him to play great sounding MIDI on his coils.

AFAIK he is not even using MIDI files.

He prepares stereo audio files in Fruity Loop and uses each positive and negative side of a audio stereo signal as a channel, so he has 4 channels/coils in a stereo signal. So all his signal processing is done in Fruity Loops.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline ItsChloeUwU

• Love You All 💗✌🏻🏳️‍🌈
    • View Profile
    • My Site UwU

He prepares stereo audio files in Fruity Loop and uses each positive and negative side of a audio stereo signal as a channel, so he has 4 channels/coils in a stereo signal. So all his signal processing is done in Fruity Loops.

hewwo Mads!
nice to have you in my comments!

I knowed franzoli since i was really young, and yeah.. i knowed about that... but dang it sound complicated haha.. i mean.. i used FL Studio before.. and its oky.. but the composition to make it sound so good i never understood how he did that hahahaha... perhaps any suggestions? also would like to know if you have any good coil to suggest to me! a nice sstc that is not SUPER complicated that plays midi with nice lenght of sparks.. otherwise i sould go back to my drsstc but im a bit scared to start with a full on brick dr LoL

Offline Magneticitist

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a good schematic to follow for my first audio sstc coil :3
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 12:38:33 AM »
Recommending a PLL setup also. I have found it to just be a really handy setup.
You have a VCO that is always running, if allowed, to make feedback easier to accomplish and running fixed frequency is also kind of nice with the chip because you can use trimmers to adjust a window of variation in your frequency range. I found that tuning for audio is almost as easy as just setting a range on this window of tuning where a compromise is found between volume and switching. You want the frequency to shift around enough to give you nice volume in the plasma but you don't want it shifting so much that it causes bad switching too much of the time. For me the smaller I tune this window the less I allow the VCO to shift relative to the audio signal which has been from a little battery powered bluetooth module+phone.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 09:03:34 AM »

hewwo Mads!
nice to have you in my comments!

I knowed franzoli since i was really young, and yeah.. i knowed about that... but dang it sound complicated haha.. i mean.. i used FL Studio before.. and its oky.. but the composition to make it sound so good i never understood how he did that hahahaha... perhaps any suggestions? also would like to know if you have any good coil to suggest to me! a nice sstc that is not SUPER complicated that plays midi with nice lenght of sparks.. otherwise i sould go back to my drsstc but im a bit scared to start with a full on brick dr LoL

I think there is some post-processing to remove noise, peaks, scratches and maybe some added effects. There might also just be more natural echo around his house/buildings :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 09:03:34 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
unrealcrafter2
Today at 01:47:37 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
Bobakman
Today at 12:19:21 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
klugesmith
April 18, 2024, 11:33:01 PM
Bobakman
April 18, 2024, 11:15:15 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
davekni
April 18, 2024, 10:59:36 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
April 18, 2024, 10:03:48 PM
klugesmith
April 18, 2024, 09:53:25 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
unrealcrafter2
April 18, 2024, 09:50:09 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 09:15:55 PM
post Re: 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
Mads Barnkob
April 18, 2024, 08:50:49 PM
unrealcrafter2
April 18, 2024, 08:11:27 PM
davekni
April 18, 2024, 07:28:05 PM
Bobakman
April 18, 2024, 06:30:30 PM
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 06:03:57 PM
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 05:26:13 PM
NyaaX_X
April 18, 2024, 04:03:38 PM
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 02:56:40 PM
post Re: DIY induction guns? (warning:long)
[Induction Launchers, Coil Guns and Rails guns]
Benbmw
April 18, 2024, 06:17:15 AM
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 05:46:07 AM
MRMILSTAR
April 18, 2024, 05:18:31 AM
davekni
April 18, 2024, 04:34:52 AM
klugesmith
April 18, 2024, 04:11:53 AM
Michelle_
April 18, 2024, 04:02:44 AM
davekni
April 18, 2024, 03:35:52 AM
MRMILSTAR
April 17, 2024, 11:54:05 PM
post 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
Benjamin Lockhart
April 17, 2024, 11:37:16 PM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 17, 2024, 02:29:30 AM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
klugesmith
April 16, 2024, 11:46:57 PM
Bobakman
April 16, 2024, 10:40:11 PM
post Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 09:21:39 PM
post Re: Medium Drsstc question
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 08:04:16 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC SKM100
Benjamin Lockhart
April 16, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
post Re: Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:18:40 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:14:53 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 05:44:44 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 03:12:12 PM
post Re: Drsstc voltage spike question
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 02:28:01 PM
Saattvik24
April 16, 2024, 01:56:26 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:50:47 AM
Anders Mikkelsen
April 16, 2024, 04:57:47 AM
ethanwu0131
April 16, 2024, 03:40:53 AM
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 01:31:17 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:19:52 PM
post 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:10:19 PM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 15, 2024, 11:04:19 PM
post Re: Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
Twospoons
April 15, 2024, 11:02:05 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:57:59 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:55:46 PM
post Re: Return of Electronics Flea Market in "Silicon Valley"
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 10:37:32 PM
Saattvik24
April 15, 2024, 10:05:00 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 15, 2024, 09:28:50 PM
post Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 09:06:42 PM
Mads Barnkob
April 15, 2024, 08:46:32 PM
[General Chat]
Benbmw
April 15, 2024, 08:38:39 PM
[General Chat]
sky-guided
April 15, 2024, 08:23:40 PM
post How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
Bobakman
April 15, 2024, 06:43:23 PM
flyingperson23
April 15, 2024, 06:29:10 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:21:53 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:15:33 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 04:07:54 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 03:49:03 AM
alan sailer
April 14, 2024, 09:46:30 PM
post Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
Michelle_
April 14, 2024, 07:31:00 PM
Saattvik24
April 14, 2024, 02:26:19 PM
post Re: mg75q2ys40 IGBT
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:20:54 AM
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:18:20 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 06:46:40 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 04:18:42 AM
post Re: Upper and Lower Explosive Limits on Confined Flammable Vapors at -79 C.
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:24:20 AM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:20:46 AM
post Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 03:13:22 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
lbattraw
April 12, 2024, 09:14:58 PM
post mg75q2ys40 IGBT
thedark
April 12, 2024, 08:40:18 PM
post Re: UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:20:30 PM
post Re: Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:12:43 PM
post IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
ethanwu0131
April 12, 2024, 04:47:33 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 12, 2024, 11:43:36 AM
post Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
Egg
April 12, 2024, 12:49:02 AM
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:41:16 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:22:41 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 10:45:53 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 07:39:30 PM
flyingperson23
April 11, 2024, 07:24:52 PM
post Re: Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 06:09:30 PM
post UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 12:55:16 PM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 03:40:00 AM
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 03:05:07 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 02:57:33 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 01:44:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 01:31:40 AM
OmGigaTron
April 11, 2024, 01:11:00 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:58:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 12:31:37 AM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:30:21 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 10, 2024, 11:41:46 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
April 10, 2024, 11:33:32 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 10:41:33 PM
[Beginners]
MRMILSTAR
April 10, 2024, 10:31:31 PM
post Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 09:56:35 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal