Author Topic: OneTesla Clone ** Urgent help needed!!  (Read 8954 times)

Offline TonyHV

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
OneTesla Clone ** Urgent help needed!!
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

We are a team of engineering students, working on power electronics, and chose Tesla Coil DRSSTC as a graduation project, and decided to do a design similar to oneTesla (the first design with acrylic box, not the oneTesla TS), so and after many trials, we failed to find any PBC design for the kit, and decided to purchase the electroic PCB of the shelf, and build our coils on our own.

-----------------------------------
After having a secondary wind up, 3 inch PVC pipe, of 25cm of 0.15mm copper wire, with 5*20 cm toroid topload, the resonance frequency turned to be 290Khz (the design was suggested by some coiler).

For the primary, I made a flat coil, I used 2.5 mm solid copper wire 3.5 turns with 2mm spacing, which turned to be at 291Khz of resonance.

The Resonance for each is determined by scope-generator method, and each frequency for primary and secondary is determined separately.

For the interrupter I used also a ready made board, which fiber optic cable

------------------------------------
The Board mainly came with half bridge of 2 IGBTS of G4PC50UD, and after they fried I changed to use 2 40N60's.

------------------------------------
At my first operation ever (no tuning), I had a light pulp flashing as the interrupter fires, but no sparks at all, and the state remained like so forever, later on , and after tuning, I get this:

at 55VAC the pulp flashes, but tiny sparks (less than 0.5 CM).
at 110VAC the pulp flashes, but little bigger sparks (1 CM) drawn by a screw driver.
at 220VAC (15 A) the board dies and a short circuit happens on the supply rails , then I have to change the IGBTs!!!

We are fairly new to tesla coils, we haven't done any math, and we don't know where to start debugging or what mistake we could probably do, we tried watching Mads video, Mads guide, Steve's guide, and many other readings, but we still don't know where to start fixing the problem , or what is really going on here !

Any advice? we are close to the deadline, yet we are totally lost.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:25:59 PM by TonyHV »

Offline Fumeaux

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
Re: OneTesla Clone ** Urgent help needed!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Can you pls provide the schematic or atleast the link from where you got the bord?

I'm not sure about the 40N60s and if they will work for this application. (I'm not even sure what they are, I'd use the same part to replace it)

1.) Read :https://onetesla.com/tutorials http://www.onetesla.com/oneTeslaTS_User_Manual.pdf
2.) Check if your board has suffered any damage (ICs, voltages, solderpads, ...)
3.) Install a fuse
4.) Test at lower voltages or it will fry again.
5.) Try to reverse the primary coil connections. One way it should work and the other on should work less good/terrible. You have to find out by trying.
6.) Scope what you can and provide it/interpret it yourself and make some guesses

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
Hi, Thanks.

I am sorry I don't have a scope, and I am not fully aware how DRSSTCs work.

Yet, I guess the schematic is the same as the one in link :
http://isopack.blogspot.com/2012/05/onetesla.html

I tried reversing the primary, but no change happened at all !

Also, it might be useful that many people suggested it can be an out of tune coils, and some think it drains more current, and others think the type of solid primary coil is the problem, or something around that, and I guess it is like so since the board works fine with the LV part, i.e. I can hear the interruptions tone in the GDT.

I used 40N60 trying to copy isopack work in the link above, but I am not sure how would it help.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:28:52 PM by TonyHV »

Offline Teravolt

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
those chinese drivers are nock-offs losly based on the universal driver and with a ud 1.5 circuit diagram you may be able to truble shoot it. the big white capacitor is your resonant capacitor and you need it to figure out what your primary resonance is. replace the fets if damaged and se if the board funtions properly with the primary circuit at LOW power.
What levle is this for high school or college and what levle are you in beeing able to truble shoot electronics. I saw a bunch of equipment in one of your pictures can you use it. you will need a function generator, o-scope and DMM, soldering iron to fix it and the forum may be able to walk you throgh it. A DRSSTC is accualy a complicated peace of equipment with out expierience. Some guys spend many hours trying to understand it why did you want to take it on

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
My Idea to use DRSSTC is simply that I thoughtr DRSSTC generates bigger sparks, and it is more heavy duty to operate than SSTC.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
40N60 IGBTs should work as a fine replacement for the original IGBTs that you blew up.

Be sure to check all diodes, resistors etc. that is a part of the gate drive circuit. So any component from GDT to primary coil has to be checked, when there is a IGBT failure in a DRSSTC, it is common that the gate resistors, diodes or zener diodes dies aswell.

A oscilloscope is paramount necessary to trace down faults and errors on a SSTC/DRSSTC, there is simply not much idea in trying to do it without.

To learn more about how DRSSTCs work, Gao wrote some good short descriptions for his DRSSTCs: http://loneoceans.com/labs/drsstc1/ http://loneoceans.com/labs/drsstc2/ http://loneoceans.com/labs/drsstc3/

Also you should really check out my DRSSTC design guide for best practises: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/

Unfortunately is does not seem there is great success with most of the Chinese cheap drivers and products, you can find more topics discussing this on the forum if you search for "chinese".

A good stepping stone onto musical DRSSTC is to build a SSTC with a simple audio interrupter. Like a SSTC2: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/kaizer-sstc-ii/ with a audio interrupter: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/musical-sstcdrsstc-interrupter/

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
Hi Mads,

I was waiting impatiently to receive your reply, and I will follow your lead and check everything from GDT to the primary, and I also ordered a scope already (Jinhan JDS2023), for tracing and trouble shooting the circuit.

I also want to indicate (as for honesty) that the SSTC full bridge driver boards I also bought from China, works way beyond imagination, perfect and amazingly easy to install, with surprising results and also a good way to understand how things really work with SSTC(check my image attached).

My question to an expert like you, because I am just trying to figure out, what possibly can be the problem that first ruined my driver :
do you think an out of tune coils, can cause as much of instant damage ? or may be a low impedance primary ? or may be a long ON-time problem, due to boosting my Chinese fiber Interrupter?

I just want your first impression analysis.

thanks Mads.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
I think the main reason for your failure was that you did not recognize that something was wrong, before feeding it full input voltage.

This is one of the reasons why I love variacs, you can slowly ramp up the voltage and see if the current rises quickly or if its pegging or if the variac starts humming loudly, all good indicators that something is wrong if you are not getting a spark output while it does so.

at 55VAC the pulp flashes, but tiny sparks (less than 0.5 CM).
at 110VAC the pulp flashes, but little bigger sparks (1 CM) drawn by a screw driver.
at 220VAC (15 A) the board dies and a short circuit happens on the supply rails , then I have to change the IGBTs!!!

Maybe it was out of phase, you had no real control of your MOSFETs state and it could have died from cross-conduction.

Its good that you now have a working coil as you now have a basis to work out from, you know the sounds and "feeling" of a working coil, which all can seem scary for the first time builder, as most people think something is wrong when you can hear the high frequency current.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
Hi Mads,

It is critical to mention that the working coil was a chinese SSTC, NOT the DRSSTC I am trying to roll. so it proves nothing but some trust in SSTC and DRSSTC drivers from China :D

And also I used a basic way to ramp up the voltage slowly (not variacs, but 2 cascade 220-110V transformers which gave me starting voltage of 50VAC ) and I get the short circuit feeling since my both Transformers hum very loud as I connect my driver to them, so I did that step too.

But seems like something else (apart from IGBTS is broken, so that no matter how many times I change IGBTs I still get a short circuit).

Yet my question persists, if my coils are out of tune, can this fry my IGBTs?? :)

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
question persists, if my coils are out of tune, can this fry my IGBTs?? :)

Short answer, yes.

But it requires some effort. When a DRSSTC is out of tune, the energy is not transferred fully to the secondary circuit and thus the current keeps circling in the primary circuit, here you have to rely on the OCD to save your IGBTs and MMC. But does the oneTesla have OCD?

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
It is clearly stated in the Manual of the DRSSTC from China , that no OCD is installed, so I guess no.

Attaching below is the manual page that relates to the operation, so kindly have a look and tell me if you have any thoughts.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »
That is one of the fundamental flaws in the oneTesla design, many people without experience buy these kits and have no knowledge of the figures mentioned about limiting on-time etc. It is a shame and I got no idea why they left out a cheap CT and comparator in a 400$ product...

Offline Teravolt

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »
one of the first things you need to do is to determin is if the primary and secondary have the same resonanant frequency. you can do this with your scope and signal generator. ebay has some signal generator kits for 7$us find a small neon light to find your fundimental resonant frequency for each. some have used back to back LEDs to find resonance but you should be able to see it on any o-scope. the chinese drivers work as advertised but usaly have ilittle information and little suport. if you have expirience with electronics then this is less of a battle. had you bought one tesla you would have there suport. what contry and sorces for semiconductors do you have?

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
Thanks Mads and Teravolt for the great tip,

I am waiting for my 7$ generator now and my handheld scope as we speak, yet I guess the resonance can be one issue.

I live in the middle east and I had not purchased the original oneTesla , but the chinese clone :)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:21:56 PM by TonyHV »

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Also are there any calculators for the ON Time?
Can the interrupter in my photo (which works perfectly for SSTC) work for my DRSSTC also ?

Offline pentode

• View Profile
    • humourous
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »
As a raw beginner to DRSSTC I hesitate to write here but is your DC bridge supply to your
DRSSRC smooth with large caps?
"One small step for man"...
…..because he has Arthritis.
www.retinascope.co.uk

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
Yes I checked, all working fine  ;)

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »
Also are there any calculators for the ON Time?
Can the interrupter in my photo (which works perfectly for SSTC) work for my DRSSTC also ?

You can use the MMC calculator to see the effects of adjusting on-times, BPS, etc for all the specifications of your coil: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/calculators/mmc-calculator/

Your interrupter will work fine for a DRSSTC if it has something in the range of 1-500 BPS and adjustable on-time from 0-300uS

Offline TonyHV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 11:53:07 PM »
Thanks Mads, you are the king !

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 11:53:07 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal