Author Topic: STNRGPF01 - 3-channel interleaved CCM PFC digital controller  (Read 8960 times)

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
STNRGPF01 - 3-channel interleaved CCM PFC digital controller
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
From the STMicroelectronics newsletter from today, there was a new interesting PFC controller that is well within the power range for use in fairly large Tesla coils, especially easy to make a design with their eDesignSuite (online circuit designer) that gives you a complete schematic after giving it components values for like 10 key parts. It does seem that you need a ST account to use it though!

The new product: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/power-management/ac-dc-converters/pfc-controllers/stnrgpf01.html?ecmp=tt4938_gl_enews_mar2017

Digikey got it in stock: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?WT.z_cid=sp_497_0928_buynow&Enterprise=44&lang=en&Vendor=497&mpart=STNRGPF01

The STNRGPF01 is a digital controller designed specifically for interleaved PFC boost topologies and intended for use in high power applications.

The controller is capable of driving up to 3 interleaved channels, generating the proper signals in each condition. Moreover, it implements a flexible phase shedding strategy that enables the correct number of PFC channels based on the actual load condition. With this function, the STNRGPF01 is always able to guarantee the highest power efficiency across a wide range of load current requirements.

The device works in CCM at fixed frequency with average current mode control, and implements mixed signal (analog/digital) control. The inner current loop is performed by hardware, ensuring cycle-by-cycle regulation. The outer voltage loop is performed by a digital PI controller with fast dynamic response.

The controller implements several functions: inrush current control, soft start-up, burst mode cooling management and status indicators.

It also features a full set of embedded protections against overvoltage, overcurrent, and thermal faults.

The STNRGPF01 is configured through a visual dedicated software tool (eDesignSuite) to match a wide range of specific applications. Using eDesignSuite, the user can customize the PFC conversion configuration and all the relevant electrical components. As a result, the tool will automatically generate a full schematic which includes a complete list of material and the final binary object code (FW) to be downloaded to the STNRGPF01.

Key Features

Interleaved boost PFC
    Up to 3 interleaved channels
    CCM, fixed frequency
    Average current control, cycle-by-cycle
    Inrush current control
    Burst mode support
    Overcurrent and thermal protection
    Soft start-up
    Flexible phase-shedding strategy
        High operating frequency with small PFC inductor, suitable for high power-density applications
        Low ripple current (input/output)
        Simpler integration with other applications
    Flexible design customization to meet specific customer needs
    Firmware
        Turnkey solution for quick design
        eDesign Suite graphical user interface (GUI) for application configuration
    Embedded memory data retention 15 years with ECC
    Communication interfaces
        UART asynchronous protocol for bootloader support
    Operating temperature: -40 °C to 105 °C

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline TCWilliamson

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: STNRGPF01 - 3-channel interleaved CCM PFC digital controller
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
From the STMicroelectronics newsletter from today, there was a new interesting PFC controller that is well within the power range for use in fairly large Tesla coils, especially easy to make a design with their eDesignSuite (online circuit designer) that gives you a complete schematic after giving it components values for like 10 key parts. It does seem that you need a ST account to use it though!

The new product: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/power-management/ac-dc-converters/pfc-controllers/stnrgpf01.html?ecmp=tt4938_gl_enews_mar2017

Digikey got it in stock: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?WT.z_cid=sp_497_0928_buynow&Enterprise=44&lang=en&Vendor=497&mpart=STNRGPF01

The STNRGPF01 is a digital controller designed specifically for interleaved PFC boost topologies and intended for use in high power applications.

The controller is capable of driving up to 3 interleaved channels, generating the proper signals in each condition. Moreover, it implements a flexible phase shedding strategy that enables the correct number of PFC channels based on the actual load condition. With this function, the STNRGPF01 is always able to guarantee the highest power efficiency across a wide range of load current requirements.

The device works in CCM at fixed frequency with average current mode control, and implements mixed signal (analog/digital) control. The inner current loop is performed by hardware, ensuring cycle-by-cycle regulation. The outer voltage loop is performed by a digital PI controller with fast dynamic response.

The controller implements several functions: inrush current control, soft start-up, burst mode cooling management and status indicators.

It also features a full set of embedded protections against overvoltage, overcurrent, and thermal faults.

The STNRGPF01 is configured through a visual dedicated software tool (eDesignSuite) to match a wide range of specific applications. Using eDesignSuite, the user can customize the PFC conversion configuration and all the relevant electrical components. As a result, the tool will automatically generate a full schematic which includes a complete list of material and the final binary object code (FW) to be downloaded to the STNRGPF01.

Key Features

Interleaved boost PFC
    Up to 3 interleaved channels
    CCM, fixed frequency
    Average current control, cycle-by-cycle
    Inrush current control
    Burst mode support
    Overcurrent and thermal protection
    Soft start-up
    Flexible phase-shedding strategy
        High operating frequency with small PFC inductor, suitable for high power-density applications
        Low ripple current (input/output)
        Simpler integration with other applications
    Flexible design customization to meet specific customer needs
    Firmware
        Turnkey solution for quick design
        eDesign Suite graphical user interface (GUI) for application configuration
    Embedded memory data retention 15 years with ECC
    Communication interfaces
        UART asynchronous protocol for bootloader support
    Operating temperature: -40 °C to 105 °C

Oooh, now that sounds pretty interesting... Is this only for single phase or do they offer an idea for 3 phase too?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
Looking at the schematics from their 3kW evaluation board: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/data_brief/group1/ae/c8/2d/88/84/ab/4d/02/DM00379111/files/DM00379111.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00379111.pdf

On page 2 there is a ZVD (zerocrossing voltage detection) taken from one of the AC inputs, all 3 interleaved PFC stages are run from the same DC bus, so as it can only detect zero crossing on one phase, looking on page 5, the current sensing resistor is placed on the grounded output, as with many other PFC IC solutions, so they can not just be paralleled.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
It looks great! They even give you gerbers and BOM for the 3kW eval board
I'll try to import BOM to Mouser to see total part cost, but I suppose it won't be cheap as STW40N60M2 MOSFETs alone are 8€ each

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
I had a quick look at that chip and the reference design the other day. Didn't price it up but did notice that it uses SiC diodes - when I eventually build a PFC I intend to do the same so I can basically ignore diode switching losses.

I'm personally more interested in the ADP1047/8, similarly they are digital, but with an I2C interface that allows for current/voltage/power measurement during operation and (I believe) changing control parameters (e.g. output voltage) on the fly.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
I found the STNRGPF01 interesting because it comes in a 3 kW development board, I can only find a few notes about the ADP1047 that says its a 300 Watt rated controller and ADP1048 is 600 Watt.

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
300W and 600W are simply the available demo boards, rather than max output. The chip itself is just a controller so is capable of significantly higher power - in fact both the ST and ADI parts need external MOSFET drivers, and the ST part even needs some external logic (flip-flops) to generate PWM for channels 2 and 3.
I looked at the 3kW board (and the ST part) because the power level is about right to use as a start for a DIY design. Even if you don't use the same chip, the design is a good place to start - there won't be significant differences in topology between PFC controllers unless you go to bridgeless or similarly exotic configurations.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
300W and 600W are simply the available demo boards, rather than max output. The chip itself is just a controller so is capable of significantly higher power - in fact both the ST and ADI parts need external MOSFET drivers, and the ST part even needs some external logic (flip-flops) to generate PWM for channels 2 and 3.
I looked at the 3kW board (and the ST part) because the power level is about right to use as a start for a DIY design. Even if you don't use the same chip, the design is a good place to start - there won't be significant differences in topology between PFC controllers unless you go to bridgeless or similarly exotic configurations.

I have tried, and failed, to scale up a PFC IC to 2kW that was not made for it, mostly it messes up the feedback loops and prevents it from even running or or melts down fairly fast. I do want to give my 2kW unit another try soon, with a change to the voltage and current feedbacks. I will make a separate thread for that :)

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
I have 2x 800W and 2x 875W output Dell workstation power supplies which I'm thinking of tearing down and using for PFC experiments. Each PSU has a 2 board construction, with separate PFC and DC-DC PCBs, and thus are relatively easy to re-purpose. I'm hoping that I can remove the existing PFC chips and rewire for operation as a 1600W+ interleaved PFC converter with a new ADP1048 controller.

As for feedback loops, one of the reasons I'm looking at the ADP104x parts is that it can all be setup in software then flashed into the chip, in a nice GUI with graphs etc no less! Hopefully if I'm cautious and use a bulb in series or something to limit fault current I'll get away without blowing up too much silicon :)

Offline TCWilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
I have 2x 800W and 2x 875W output Dell workstation power supplies which I'm thinking of tearing down and using for PFC experiments. Each PSU has a 2 board construction, with separate PFC and DC-DC PCBs, and thus are relatively easy to re-purpose. I'm hoping that I can remove the existing PFC chips and rewire for operation as a 1600W+ interleaved PFC converter with a new ADP1048 controller.

As for feedback loops, one of the reasons I'm looking at the ADP104x parts is that it can all be setup in software then flashed into the chip, in a nice GUI with graphs etc no less! Hopefully if I'm cautious and use a bulb in series or something to limit fault current I'll get away without blowing up too much silicon :)

Please let me know how that comes along... could be quite nice.

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
I will be making stuff public, but I cannot guarantee how good the documentation will be (I don't have the best record), but I will try my best!

I've bought one of the ADP1048 chips to test, but realistically the PFC design is behind a few other things on the to-do list.

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »
Do all Dell server/workstation PSUs have separate PFC?
I have 3x 750W Dell PE 2950 server PSUs which became useless when server died

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Futurist, did you ever get a BOM made? and found a total price?

Hydron, you have to make a good documentation! I got 6 of these 1000 Watt server power supplies, which actually was meant to be pit in series for 3x 12VDC for a royer IH.

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
I didn't manage to import BOM, mouser asks for manufacturer part numbers which aren't included in pdf
So you need to search for ~120 parts manually

Here is pdf bom converted to excel if someone wants to make project at mouser
* pfc_bom.zip

Offline alexhanyuan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 05:30:04 AM »
Any updates on using either ICs? The STNRGPF01 is being discontinued, but can be found on Arrow for ~$4. Curious to try it out in a ~25kW design.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 09:19:59 PM »
Any updates on using either ICs? The STNRGPF01 is being discontinued, but can be found on Arrow for ~$4. Curious to try it out in a ~25kW design.

Back in March 2022 I posted another ST reference design, a 15 kW PFC frontend full design that they released: https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1960.0

Offline alexhanyuan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 05:00:05 AM »
I stumbled across that design as well. Looking to run it off of single phase though.

Any guesses on why the STNRGPF01 is discontinued? Is everything moving to MCUs? The design tool seemed to be a big selling point for it.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 05:00:05 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal