Author Topic: DIY DC-10MHz optical-fiber-isolated scope probe  (Read 10406 times)

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
DIY DC-10MHz optical-fiber-isolated scope probe
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:05 AM »
This is an optically-isolated scope probe for use in probing high-side gate drive and other such non-ground-referenced signals.  Also eventually plan to use a pair of these to measure charge transfer on top of my DRSSTC, from secondary to top-load and from secondary to breakout point.

This probe uses standard 1mm-core plastic optical fiber.  A "T-1 3/4" (5mm-diameter) LED feeds the fiber with light proportional to input signal plus a fixed DC offset.  Photodiode receiver amplifies the light signal and subtracts the fixed offset.  Most newer efficient LEDs have surprisingly linear drive-current to light-output.  Here's a picture of the probe, driver and receiver and fiber.  Each end is powered by a flat 4V lithium-ion cell under the ECB.

Bandwidth without any compensation for LED capacitance is just over 4MHz.  With an added R+C to peak LED current, bandwidth is roughly 10MHz.  (I tried a couple LEDs packaged specifically for 1mm-core 2.2mm OD optical fiber.  They were higher-bandwidth, but much less efficient.  Light coupled into the fiber was much lower, so would have required higher receiver gain and associated higher noise.)  Below are scope traces of a 12V square wave out of a UCC27525 gate-driver chip.  Channel 4 is with a normal 10x scope probe.  Channel 1 is this isolated probe output.  Both scope channels are set to 20MHz bandwidth limit.  Notice that this optical probe output has roughly twice the rise/fall times, so about half the bandwidth.  It also has more delay due to the coil of fiber.

Input divider resistors for this first unit are designed for gate-drive scoping, +-20V.  Output to scope is +-200mV (100x attenuation).  Input impedance is 30k-ohms.  Low enough to avoid needing to tweak input attenuator compensation capacitors, but high enough to not significantly load gate-drive signals.  Here's the driver schematic including R10+C3 peaking to compensate for LED capacitance:

And the receiver using the IF-D91 photociode designed for plastic fiber:

I found two successful ways to couple the 5mm OD LED to 2.2mm OD (1.0mm core) fiber.  One is to drill a 2.2mm hole in the LED deep enough to almost hit the bond wire, then glue one end of the fiber into the hole.  Glue makes reasonable optical matching (similar index of refraction to the LED housing and fiber core).  Here's a close-up of the LED with fiber glued into it:

The other option is to grind/sand down the end of the LED to make a flat surface, again almost to the bond wire.  Didn't have any good way to polish the surface, so instead glued a small piece of mylar to the end to make a shiny surface.  Then used a short piece of 3/16" ID (just under 5mm) rubber tubing to couple the LED to fiber.  I'd found some fiber with an outer jacket that was conveniently 5mm OD.  The 3/16" ID tubing could either join the LED directly to this fiber, or I could remove a short section of the large fiber's outer jacket, join that section to the LED with rubber tubing, then insert normal 2.2mm OD fiber into that piece of jacket.

Finally, on the outside chance that anyone wants to experiment with this design unmodified, here are the zipped gerber files:

* fiber_scope.zip

David Knierim

Offline rikkitikkitavi

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
Re: DIY DC-10MHz optical-fiber-isolated scope probe
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:46:14 AM »
Ingenious!  :)

You have the advantage of transfering the signal galvanically isolated in full without bothering with the CMRR of a differential high voltage divider with all its asociated troubles in high impedance/parastics and high voltage/large transients/sharp edges power circuits yadayada!

Fiber delay is about 5ns/meter 
A man can not have too many variacs

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
Nice work!

You can also get analogue output receivers for plastic fibre (e.g. versalink) and glass (e.g. multimode ST-connector ones).

I have one of the former and a couple of the latter, and did a quick gain vs frequency check quite a while ago on a multimode glass one, see attached (Transmitter was a HFBR1415, Receiver was a HFBR-2414 which doesn't seem to be well documented, but is an analogue output version). I didn't really look at linearity, but the datasheet suggests it will be fairly reasonable.

I have some other methods of getting isolated measurements, but these guys are sitting there in-case I need to build a similar isolated probe.

Another thought if linearity proves to be troublesome would be to do something similar to analogue optocoupler circuits - put a second receiver in the feedback loop for the LED driver. If this is fed from a splitter half-way down the fibre (sending back half the signal to the driver) then in theory it should linearise the output (assuming that the receiver characteristics are well matched). This is a lot more hassle and probably unnecessary for most applications (e.g. you just want to see the waveform shape, a few % distortion is fine) but maybe useful for more critical signals?

Red is gain, Blue is phase. Filename suggests the gain is measured as voltage output vs current input (this was done as a quick hack a while ago!) I wouldn't put too much faith in this, but thought it may be of interest.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:45:23 AM by Hydron »

Offline klugesmith

• High Voltage Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:31:59 PM »
Great work there, Dave.  I like the DIY methods of launching light into fiber.  In 1990's, working with singlemode fiber, I found that some gigabit laser transmitters didn't like the return loss from an open fiber end (in SC connector).  Got a satisfactory termination by rubbing fingertip on oily nose & then pressing it onto the SC ferrule tip.

How stable is your zero-signal point ( transmitted as about half of maximum optical power ? )
over temperature, battery age, and maybe wiggling of optical joints?
I guess it's a non-issue for GDT output signals that are inherently zero-average, and otherwise a simple adjustment of vertical position or offset knob.

Applause for posting schematics, and having a name on every net.   Did I miss the place in sender circuit for connecting the reference side of input signal voltage?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:06:33 PM by klugesmith »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
Hydron,

Before starting this project, I'd looked for integrated analog fiber receivers without success.  Since you listed HFBR-2414, I just checked into that a bit.  Mouser lists it as an obsolete part.  Looking through the data sheet, it might be usable, but looks to have three diode-junctions worth of DC voltage temperature coefficient (3 x Vbe) on its output.  Do you have any part numbers for currently-available analog fiber receivers?  Such could be simpler and higher bandwidth than my version.

Klugesmith,

Good point - I'd forgot to label which transmitter node is the input reference.  It is node "vtgnd", the node that the input voltage divider returns to.  There are extra holes/pads on the ECB layout for vtgnd that don't have corresponding schematic symbols.  These can be used for input return and/or for connecting a foil shield around the circuit if that becomes necessary.

The idea for gain/offset is as follows.  The transmitter has a fixed LED current of 11.6mA at 0 input voltage.  That 11.6mA comes from 0.50V across 43 ohms.  The exact current doesn't matter as long as it corresponds to exactly 0.5V.  Whatever amount of light is generated and coupled all the way to the receiver is by-definition 0.5V of input voltage.  (That's 0.5V after attenuator, so 25V with my 50:1 input attenuation.)  At the receiving end there's a fixed -0.25V offset to the scope (scope ground is 0.25V above local receiver ground).  With no light to the receiver, the scope sees -0.25V.  With light from the transmitter, I adjust gain until the scope sees exactly 0.0V (with no input voltage to the transmitter).  Then I know that 0.5V at the transmitter (25V into attenuator) corresponds to 0.25V to the scope, for a total 100:1 attenuation.  Any time I reconnect fibers or the LED temperature changes too much, I can adjust gain to get zero volts out.  Drift hasn't been much of a problem with the TINY bit of experimenting I've done so far.

The one issue with all the above theory is it assumes zero opamp offset.  If there's a next-version, I'll add receiver opamp offset adjustment.  For this version, I had to add a hand-selected resistor on the back-side to adjust for opamp offset.

I'd tried cheap laser-pointer diodes for the transmitter.  Much higher optical power into the fiber, but two issues.  One is less stable light output vs. temperature.  The other (related) issue is a large thermal-transient in generated power after a step change in input current.  There's a tiny bit of that issue with the LED.  Actually I don't know for sure that it's thermal-related.  Just that the few microsecond time-constant is reminiscent of thermal transients often seen in analog power amplifiers, such as video drive for old CRT monitors.  If you look very closely at the overview plot of this fiber probe's response, the step goes quickly to ~98%, then takes a few microseconds to go the remaining ~2%.
David Knierim

Offline flyglas

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
This thread is very inspiring. I like the concept to measure small voltages without common mode influence.

I have searched for commercial units and other DIY projects. During my search I found a similar project:
 https://hackaday.io/project/12231-fiber-optic-isolated-voltage-probe

The approach is similary, but they use other circuits to realise the transmitter (fet input stage) and a transimpedance amplifier as light to voltage conversion.
Layout and schematic is available.

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 11:27:14 PM »
I had a quick look, and the analogue-output receivers I have are the following:
2x HFBR-2526, POF:
https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/AV02-1502EN

1x HFBR-2416, glass fibre:
https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/AV02-0176EN

2x HFBR-2414, glass fibre, as discussed before this doesn't seem to be a current product or have much info available.

All were purchased from CPC's bargain section at greatly reduced prices, most likely due to CPC stopping stocking the parts.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 12:40:06 AM »
Those two receiver parts appear to still be reasonably available.  Both have very loose DC offset specifications, 0.8 to 2.6V with no light input.  They have the same internal simplified schematic which suggests 3 x Vbe temperature coefficient.  They are much higher bandwidth than what I built.  Would be useful if the offset can be managed.  Thank you for listing the part numbers.
David Knierim

Offline klugesmith

• High Voltage Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:10:27 AM »
Hey, the higher speed Tx/Rx set in Hydron's link is recommended for 20 to 160 Mbaud.  Speed limitations according to distance and type of fiber are just from fiber dispersion and optical power budgeting.

How about transmitting a frequency modulated square wave, say 70 +/- 10 MHz?
Or a much smaller deviation, for smaller signal bandwidth.
Not sure about voltage-to-frequency IC's for the Tx end, but the Rx end might employ one of many low-cost FM or FSK receiver building block IC's. 

This is not intended to promote FM as better than simple analog optical power modulation with baseband signal.

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:53:14 AM »
Those two receiver parts appear to still be reasonably available.  Both have very loose DC offset specifications, 0.8 to 2.6V with no light input.  They have the same internal simplified schematic which suggests 3 x Vbe temperature coefficient.  They are much higher bandwidth than what I built.  Would be useful if the offset can be managed.  Thank you for listing the part numbers.
I think the anticipated use for the analogue output parts is with an AC coupling capacitor, so the DC offset is not a critical specification. When I'm a bit less busy I can probably do a quick check to see how much they actually vary with no optical input, though it would be at best over a modest indoor temperature range (i could blow some hot air over them I guess). In use you'd have to adjust gain/offset to account for loss in the fibre etc anyway (and try not to move the fibre once setup either!), so a fixed offset is less concerning than a heavily temperature dependent one.

You may find the ST connector (glass fibre) analogue output parts in old networking kit, though I believe that Mads had some issues desoldering them without damage (albeit without a vacuum desoldering iron). The ST stuff is easy to get pre-made patch leads for too (and for absurdly low prices). For POF you can use cheap optical audio cables (the thin ones, I think they're 2.2 or 2mm diameter) and put connectors on yourself, but duplex is more annoying as the duplex POF isn't readily available.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 07:44:42 PM »
"How about transmitting a frequency modulated square wave, say 70 +/- 10 MHz?"

Yes, I've thought about modulating a digital signal, with pulse-width or frequency or sigma-delta.  Digital links are much more available and to higher frequencies, 1Gbaud and up.  Might try such some day.  This was simpler.

"In use you'd have to adjust gain/offset to account for loss in the fibre etc anyway (and try not to move the fibre once setup either!), so a fixed offset is less concerning than a heavily temperature dependent one."

Yes, if offset is stable enough, it can be adjusted out.  The advantage of stable offset, as in my simple opamp receiver, is that only a single adjustment for gain is needed to compensate for fiber connection losses.  With accurate base-line LED power at the transmitter, that single gain adjustment can be made using zero signal input at the transmitting end.  That way, for measuring charge on top of my DRSSTC, I don't need to connect a reference signal generator to calibrate, then remove it without disturbing the fiber connections.  I can set everything up, then make a simple gain adjustment at the receiving end before running the coil.  (That will be next spring or summer.  Put my coil away for the winter.)
David Knierim

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 06:50:25 AM »
Very nice project and thank you so much for sharing this!

Could the input divider have a voltage range selector between two sets of resistors without ruining the fixed offset? Could be a cheap alternative to differential probes on the inverter output, something that many people do not own.

Is there a reason beyond too-expensive or did-not-have-the-part-at-hand for using the IF-D95T receiver, but not the IF-E96 transmitter?

For you topload charge measurements I assume you set up resistors or CTs with a output in the same region of the gate drive voltage it was designed for? Leads back to my first question.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:12:05 AM »
"Could the input divider have a voltage range selector between two sets of resistors without ruining the fixed offset? Could be a cheap alternative to differential probes on the inverter output, something that many people do not own."

Yes, switched input attenuation is certainly possible, and might be reasonable.  I didn't do that because it can be tricky to compensate high divide ratios.  100:1 is likely fine without tweaking compensation, given the low 10MHz bandwidth.  By 1000:1 (for 100V/div), even 0.1pF of stray capacitance across the input resistor needs compensating.  Gets harder if there's significant capacitance to the middle of the input resistor.  So, for now, my plan is to build another board with different input resistance if I need different attenuation.  Then I can learn more about compensation without having switch capacitance to complicate issues.  Scope probes usually contain tiny ceramic circuits with resistance elements built (deposited) onto the ceramic with shaped electrodes on the opposite side to distribute capacitance along the resistance.

"Is there a reason beyond too-expensive or did-not-have-the-part-at-hand for using the IF-D95T receiver, but not the IF-E96 transmitter?"

Yes, I bought a couple IF-E96 transmitters.  They are higher bandwidth, but send much less light down the fiber.  LED technology has advanced rapidly, and IF-E96 appears to use old low-efficiency LEDs.  The trade-off is needing more amplification at the receiving end.  If I stayed with the same TLV3542 (100MHz gain-bandwidth), then higher receiver gain lowers bandwidth more than IF-E96 increases it.  Could use a higher-bandwidth opamp or more stages, but wanted simplicity and low noise.

"For you topload charge measurements I assume you set up resistors or CTs with a output in the same region of the gate drive voltage it was designed for? Leads back to my first question."

My plan for topload charge measurement is to use capacitors instead of resistors for sensing, so voltage will be proportional to charge rather than current.  Planning 20 paralleled C0G 100nF SMD caps to keep inductance low.  2uF total should keep the voltage within my +-20V range.  Measuring charge avoids issues with integrating scope traces with DC offset, and avoids issues of high peak breakout point current during ground-strikes.  Charge is great for topload voltage.  Down-side is that deriving current requires differentiating the signal, so amplifying high-frequency noise.  That's one reason I want to keep noise low, so use a bright LED.
David Knierim

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
Just came by a similar DIY optical transmitter / receiver on Youtube and thought it would fine into this thread

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Uspring

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
The idea to use capacitors for sensing is pretty, since Hydron and myself had some problems with non linearities of the scopes. Integration of current to get the voltages didn't work too well.
You have to be careful about DC components in the arc current, though. I don't expect them to be large, but if you e.g. measure hundreds of bursts in a row, they might accumulate. That might also happen in a single QCW burst. I guess, you'll use some input protection anyway.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
"You have to be careful about DC components in the arc current, though."

Yes, I expect the arc could strike ground more often at one polarity.  My plan is to have resistors across the capacitors, so they are really low-pass filters, not integrators.  For low repetition frequencies, the R/C time constant could have minimal affect during a burst, but mostly discharge the capacitors between bursts.  For higher repetition frequencies, I'll need to filter the resulting scope waveforms to undo the R/C time constant.
David Knierim

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 05:51:30 AM »
Update:  Finished three sets of fiber scope probe transmitters and receivers.  Three transmitters are connected to three low-inductance 2.00uF capacitor arrays.  Measured voltage represents cumulative charge.  Initial test used my old bottom-fed SSTC.

Key point is that I need to add shielding to receivers.  Ground plane on ECB is not sufficient.  Receivers are close enough to coil to pick up electrostatic fields from the top-load.  I suspect the issue is mostly the photodiode part.  It is the highest-impedance receiver node, and the fiber receiver has a plastic housing extend farther above the ECB than other parts.

I'll add another post with scope data after adding better shields.  Quickie fix of grounded aluminum foil over receivers helped, but was not sufficient.

SSTC test setup in my dining room.  Three optical scope probe transmitters on top-load.  Three receivers at back right corner of the table are somewhat visible:

Zoom in to the three transmitters before covering with shield.  (Transmitter shielding appears sufficient, though I may improve that too.)

Transmitters shielded and covered with polycarbonate to further reduce risk of arcs to the wrong place:

Quickie shield (grounded foil) over receivers:

Arcs:

David Knierim

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 05:47:41 AM »
Required lots of shielding to work around TC voltages with low-voltage optical receiver circuitry.  Transmit side wasn't much of a problem, though I did add small inner shields on each transmitter:

Receiver shielding included a small section of grounded copper tape over each photodiode, along with a bit-larger rectangular shield that slides over each receiver and clips to ground of the coax cable to the scope.  Bit of a nuisance, as the rectangular shields need to be unfolded or slid off to access the on/off switches:

I tried initially without the above-shown grounded aluminum foil, and was surprised by the remaining issue.  One channel was fine and the other two still had some coupling from top-load.  Turned out to be the slightly-thinner coax used between receiver and scope on those two channels, roughly 60cm long soldered to receivers with BNC at scope end.  The thinner coax must have less shield coverage, even though it looks reasonable where stripped for connection.  Eventually I'll fix these cables and hopefully no longer need grounded foil around receivers and down to scope.

With the added shielding, an open input connection to one transmitter channel produces only about 2% of the real top-load charge.  Here's a plot with the breakout channel open:

Next are a couple real measurements of my old uninterupted bottom-fed SSTC.  CSV files for these two are zipped and attached at the end.  First is normal short wire breakout as shown in images of previous post:

This SSTC tracks rectified 60Hz line power.  Relay closes slightly before line zero-crossing.  Initial slightly-higher voltage (higher peak-to-peak charge) spot is when breakout starts.  Capture ends part-way into the second line half-cycle.

Other capture included here is with a short rounded breakout, copper pipe end-cap shown at left edge of picture:

As can be seen, initial voltage rises much farther before arc starts:

Secondary inductance is 75mH, which implies 31.8pF top-load capacitance.  Thus every micro-coulomb shown in the graph represents 1u/31.8p=31.4kV.  (Secondary coil capacitance lives within the field gradient of the top-load, which roughly matches coil field gradient, so contributes relatively little to total capacitance.)

One interesting feature that is more obvious here is the initial net negative breakout charge at arc start.  This is positive charge leaving the breakout, or negative charge entering the breakout.  Here's a zoom in to the initial breakout:

This same slight negative charge at arc start shows up subtly in the wire breakout captures too.  Polarity is consistent.  I think this is real and not some artifact of my optical probe setup.

I'm still not completely satisfied with probe performance.  With a low voltage sine-wave current source between any two channels, sum of the two is zero within <+-0.5%.  However, the high-voltage captures sum to ~7% of top-load charge.  That can be seen in the attached CSV files.  A fourth charge column is included, the sum of the previous 3 columns.  I've spent all weekend trying to figure out where that excess charge could be escaping, or where the high-voltage is inducing a 7% error.  As shown previously, direct coupling of HV to probe signals is now down to 2%.  I'll revisit this error some day when I get to measuring my DRSSTC.  Scope will be farther away then, and charge will be closer to full-scale.  (I'd sized capacitors and voltage division for +-40uC.  This SSTC is much less, especially breakout.  The tiny signal may be part of this issue.)

I'll make a new thread in the DRSSTC topic once I get to those measurements.  Decided to keep this post here, as it relates to required shielding for these optical probes to be useful at TC voltages.

Zipped CSV files:
* fiber_scope.zip
David Knierim

Offline Uspring

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 06:50:39 PM »
Congratulations for getting your probes into a useful state and thank you for the data set. One question: Are the voltages measured between secondary top and toroid, toroid and breakout and secondary top and breakout?

The difference in behaviour between a rounded and a sharp breakout point is somewhat expected but it is certainly nice to see this experimentally validated.
The fast initial rise in secondary voltage is a pretty good indicator of where secondary voltage would end up if the arc wouldn't break out. The arc almost seems to clamp secondary voltage. Also nicely visible is the difference between the top load voltages of the first and second line voltage half cycles, indicating quite a bit of heat and/or ions left over from the first half cycle at the beginning of the next.

(Secondary coil capacitance lives within the field gradient of the top-load, which roughly matches coil field gradient, so contributes relatively little to total capacitance.)

A good indicator for this is the ratio between secondary base current and secondary top current. Hydron has measured that for one of his coils and if IRC, the ratio was between 1.05 and 1.1. Similar quantities can be calculated with JavaTC. The actual ratio depends much on the size of the toroid.

One interesting feature that is more obvious here is the initial net negative breakout charge at arc start.  This is positive charge leaving the breakout, or negative charge entering the breakout.

The method of measuring charges instead of currents is a clever way of detecting this. TC arc currents aren't always sinusoidal, particularly during fast growth phases. This can be seen at the onset of arc current in the diagram of this post:
https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=117.msg827#msg827

A lot of high frequency currents during positive voltages can also be seen on this measurement: http://www.lod.org/gallery/electrum/techdata/waveforms.htm

Possibly that is due to the fact, that electron avalanches, which start near the arc or breakout point, are headed toward the breakout point and connect to it, if the polarity of it is positive. Avalanches near a negatively charged breakout point head away from it and don't connect to it, thus not allowing a charge flow to the point. In a fully grown arc, there is no need for conduction by avalanches, since there is enough heat to generate charge carriers. So the polarity dependency isn't seen there as much.
This is just speculation on what I know about the underlying processes. Corona, which happens before breakout and leads to arcs, has mostly been studied for DC or line frequency voltages. Not much is known for the RF range.

Offline Twospoons

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:02 PM »
This might be one of those cases where it would be advantageous to build your receiver into a small metal box  with a BNC on the side so it plugs directly into the scope BNC - no cables.
For power switching how about a small magnet and a reed switch? No need to open your shielding then.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:02 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal