Author Topic: Drsstc 3  (Read 34187 times)

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Drsstc 3
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
time to get started on this project again!

in the time since i last posted i haven't achieved much. the bridge and the mmc are pretty much completed with some minor tweaks needed.

For the bridge i ended up using 8mm aluminium plate for the bus bars which has an added bonus of making the assembly more rigid, although i don't know if its a wise decision to be relying on the terminals of the bricks to take the load of the capacitors?  As for the mmc it was pretty simple. 3mm x 15mm coper flat bar was used along with m6 cap heads to keep everything in place.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:23:00 AM by oneKone »

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 01:45:25 AM »
For about a month now I've been put off on this project, I really couldn't be bothered making any progress and I couldn't figure out why..... Then it hit me! I hate the look of it 😢

Basically I had a 450x450x350mm "cube" for the base of the coil, to me that's pretty unappealing. One look I do like are round bases both a helical primary. Apart from Mads drsstc 1 I haven't really seen bigger drsstc with helical primaries at all, unless having a pancake primary was more of the norm 5-10 years ago?

So my question is, are there any drawbacks from having a helical primary at this size I can't think of?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
For about a month now I've been put off on this project, I really couldn't be bothered making any progress and I couldn't figure out why..... Then it hit me! I hate the look of it 😢

Basically I had a 450x450x350mm "cube" for the base of the coil, to me that's pretty unappealing. One look I do like are round bases both a helical primary. Apart from Mads drsstc 1 I haven't really seen bigger drsstc with helical primaries at all, unless having a pancake primary was more of the norm 5-10 years ago?

So my question is, are there any drawbacks from having a helical primary at this size I can't think of?

Good old Dr. Spark, which seems to have closed down his website, primarily built helical primary coils and they performed great!

Now I built a helical coil on my first DRSSTC for several reasons:
- To make the coil take up less space, smaller diameter
- I thought it was easier to make primary coil holders for this type compared to spiral
- Tapping was easier with cable just going up the side

I will avoid helical coils in the future for the following reasons:
- It has a high coupling that is harder to adjust/control
- It is much closer to the topload, so there is more strikes to ground rail
- It was a pain to wind the coil through the 4 sheets with too small holes, it took me hours to move it centimeters at a time as it kept locking itself in place
- There is no performance gain over spiral, for a DRSSTC

I would however still make round platforms with spiral primary coils, as I think they look great, but when you get up in size you really need a bigger base to stabilize the thing with wheels out in the corners of a box.

You could also go inbetween spiral and helical and make a upsidedown U shape primary if you want it to have a smaller diameter overall.

Looking forward to see what you decide on :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »
Cheers for the guidance Mads. Is having a upsidedown U primary the same calculation as a flat pancake?  I had a quick look at your drsstc that uses one, looks extremely nice.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
Cheers for the guidance Mads. Is having a upsidedown U primary the same calculation as a flat pancake?  I had a quick look at your drsstc that uses one, looks extremely nice.

I think I just went with a median value based on spiral coil and coupling as if it was a helical, but as you can see from the article on my website, I did a lot of measurements instead, as I could not calculate its specifications.

I guess you have to use something like FEMM in order to get a correct simulation as spiral/helical calculators and javatc does not support that primary form.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
i installed femm and straight away i was overwhelmed, i'm just too basic! so i'm going to do what i love doing.... trial and error!

i made small progress by cutting out the new base for the coil, i like it so much more than the square frame i put together! for the primary i've drawn up a basic shape in aspire and have given roughly 10mm spacing. at this point i'm trying to decide if i should have my mmc at 330nf or 165nf. It's been a while since i've had to recall but the lower capacitance means higher number of primary turns which would result in a lower achievable apk? i will have to re-read a few threads again to get my understanding back!

this is what the coil looks like now and the proposed primary, which is 50mm high and 100mm long. on the weekend i'll make a better effort to get some more in depth progress photos.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
Looking good :)

I guess you can get away with just estimating that as a flat primary in JavaTC and it will not be too far off.

The higher MMC capacitance, the lower system impedance to a given resonant frequency. So yes that means higher peak currents, shorter on-time due to faster current ramp up etc. But it also gets more expensive to build due to increased cost on parts that can withstand the higher voltage/current. Higher impedance is cheaper to build but comes at the expense of greater switching losses due to longer on-time needed to produce long sparks.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:17 PM »
unfortunately I've been dormant for quite some time! other projects got in the way of dedicated coiling but now they're over i can get back into the swing of things!   

in my last update i made a mdf base and went with plywood primary supports. At the time i knew the supports weren't the best idea and i still wasn't happy with the base... it was time i changed the base again! which also brings me to distraction number one, a new cnc router! to me its a tool that i needed for many of my hobbies and will serve a great deal in coiling.

i wish i took photos during the design, cad and cutting but i didn't think ahead... i redesigned the base to be hex and made it out of plywood, i also made the primary supports out of polyethylene. I think once the base has been given a light stain the white from the mmc and primary supports as well as the primary and secondary should be appealing to the eye, not the most critical part of a drsstc but a part none the less. during the week i should have the coil wired up to begin testing, which is extremely overdue.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2019, 01:23:58 AM »
Not that much has happened. A simple coupler between the primary and bridge output was made, at least with this info ever need to I can remove the primary easily. I think I also fou a place for the feedback/OCD CTS. I think I'll just make a simple bracket to remove any mechanical load. One thing that I'm.not sure about is if I have the gdt leads too long. I guess when I start testing I can always check the gate waveforms?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:38 AM »
It looks very nice! Now that you went for the hexagon base, did you see the covering plates in the thread with the twin system? Where they sit into slots in the supports.

You should place your CTs at either output from the bridge, never between the primary coil and MMC, as you have a high voltage ringing between L and C.

Small progress is better than no progress! I am currently in a period of no progress, mostly due to starting on a new job and that takes all my mental capacity :)

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
I love the idea of the covering plates and the simplicity of the wingnuts, I'm still unsure if I'm going to cover the electronics on mine though.

I think I have little time! I couldn't imagine your workload!

I got some light testing in tonight. One thing that I can't remember is switching times.. I'm going to have to ready your write-up again mads. Basically I'm getting turn on/off times of 1uS (1000ns?), Once I get better educated on switching times I can see if/what I'll have to change with the gdt. I'm also getting 5v overshoot, to me.this seems acceptable, but again it's something I'll have to read up on.

Another factor is that these tests were done without a topload so it will be interesting to see.if the lower frequency helps with the switching times.

Picture of gate waveforms for reference:

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
You could properly need a slightly higher gate resistance to damp the overshoot, but generally that is a near perfect driving waveform for a IGBT gate. 10% overshoot would be perfect, 20% is borderline to too much, but okay!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
Cheers for.the suggestion mads, I might try add a resistor in series with the primary of the gdt, in the past it's worked well so hopefully it works here.

I've had some time this weekend to work on the coil. I rewound the inductor as it was off the mark for what I needed, I also made the (but not finished) the topload.... As well as first light! At the moment i haven't made any measurements besides setting the phase lead.

While running up.the coil to about 1/2the input voltage it struck my router and killed a stepper drive, so all tests will now be done outside.. pictures!

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
Congratulations on first light!

A real shame about killing a stepper driver on your CNC router, get some metallic net/chicken fence and throw over it, grounded and it should be safe :)

Your topload looks really cool, Russian design inspired I see, but the pieces of pipe covering 180 degrees seems to be too little when you have a sharp edge on the "outside" of the virtual toroid, so you have a break out elsewhere than from your breakout point. You properly need another 20-30 degree inwards in each end, so you need 240 degree pieces of pipe.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »
Congratulations on first light!

A real shame about killing a stepper driver on your CNC router, get some metallic net/chicken fence and throw over it, grounded and it should be safe :)

Your topload looks really cool, Russian design inspired I see, but the pieces of pipe covering 180 degrees seems to be too little when you have a sharp edge on the "outside" of the virtual toroid, so you have a break out elsewhere than from your breakout point. You properly need another 20-30 degree inwards in each end, so you need 240 degree pieces of pipe.

Cheers, and yeah.. I've learnt my lesson with bigger coils now!

As for the topload I'm hoping I can cut out another radius and just bend it by hand with the t-pieces soldered on. I know it was another group that first put the topload out there, but it was Finn hammer that inspired me to do it.

In other news I ran the coil successfully tonight! Managed 1.6m streamers even with the topload situation. MMC was cool to the touch. The bridge was ever so slightly warm so I might just add active cooling just to be safe.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 05:11:10 AM »
Small update. (Basically just to remind myself for the future!)

I got a 20a capable outlet installed for possible future builds, but this also means I can easily run a a higher current limit. I've now verified the bridge with 900a @ 100us on time. One major thing I must fix is the toroid. I'm going to cut out a concave radius and try to push each segment in to try and form a new radius, if that fails I'll have to unsolder the joins. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some decent pictures of my setup and some arcs.... I'm truly Hoping for near 2m

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:13:33 AM by oneKone »

Offline fnordest

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Wow! Really nice, those sparks look amazing and the hexagonal base suites your coil very well :D

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 04:39:11 AM »
Wow! Really nice, those sparks look amazing and the hexagonal base suites your coil very well :D

Cheers,
 I'm pretty happy I went with a hexagonal base, definitely something I'll be using on future coils.

Another small update;
The ixys 40A 1200v bridge rectifier is dead! I ran the coil Hoping to get a few pictures and a video for the forum but unfortunately that couldn't happen. I'm not sure as to why it failed as the heatsink it's mounted to was barely luke warm (same heatsink as igbts). I've ordered a 150a 1600v bridge rectifier to replace it. When the fuse first blew I thought it was the bridge itself so I'm taking this as a win!

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
I must admit that I never put much thought into the bridge rectifers I have used, since they are mostly just grossly overrated, but when I have used some at a more proper rating, they have went up in smoke a few times. Just a quick guess that they might not the be fastest diodes and have a reverse recovery time that is too slow for DRSSTC transients?

You mentioned that your IGBTs heat sink got slightly warm on the first light run, how about your primary coil?

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 03:29:24 AM »
Tbh I always just treated bridge rectifiers as "basic linear" devices, but I think you're onto it about transients. But there is also one more thing, the primary was struck by a streamer..... It actively avoided the strike ring!

As for the igbt heatsink getting warm, it's simply not good enough of me saying "slightly warm" or "barely luke warm". I'll get a probe on both next time I run it.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 03:29:24 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
Today at 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal