Author Topic: First coil, Medium DRSSTC  (Read 2917 times)

Offline AeraCura_

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
First coil, Medium DRSSTC
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:38:18 PM »
Hi all,

After much consideration I'll soon begin construction of my first coil. I've purchased most of my parts but would encourage feedback on my proposed design.

Design details as follows:

• Bridge: 2x CM300DY-24H in full-bridge
  • Bridge supply: 2x 6800uF at 350V, configured in series for voltage doubling 240V at 3400uF 630V
  • Bridge rectifier: IXYS VUO110-12N07, 3~ rectifier choose due to same terminal height(30mm) as CM300 IGBTs
  • Snubber caps: RBPS20591KR6GNZ
  • Primary: 3/8" tubing with 1/2" spacing 10 turns taped 8.4 turns
  • Secondary: 2000 turns of 28 AWG on 6.625" x 30" form
  • MMC: 5s10p 942C20P15K-F for 0.3uF at 10KV
  • Topload: 6.625" x 30" toroid
  • Controller: Loneoceans UD2.7C
  • Interrupter: TMaxElectronics MidiStick

JAVATC dump:

Overall I'm hoping this is an average build without many suprises, Ive basically designed for the most ununique setup possible as I hope to learn the basics before going bigger.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:30:50 PM by AeraCura_ »

Offline acobaugh

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
Re: Starting on first coil, Medium DRSSTC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
On paper sounds similar to my DR81 system: https://labs.cobaugh.io/hv/tesla/dr81/

With a bigger topload, MMC, and secondary, you could easily stretch that bridge even further down the road if you choose.

What peak current were you designing for?

I really think the limiting factor in your design will be the toroid size and distance from toroid to primary, if you want sparks longer than, say, 6 feet or so.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 07:51:43 PM »
Looks good and with plenty of head room on almost all components. You will have problems with heating in primary / secondary coil before IGBTs/MMC, so you are building it like a tank.

Sure it could easily drive a much large coil, but that will also cost a fair amount of additional money to get a bigger MMC.

Make sure to have enough extra primary coil turns to detune the primary up to maybe 20%? 10% is properly more reasonable...

Looking forward to see it come alive!
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm okay with my bridge being over spec'd, It's possible that I use this at annual fairs so having a coil I can dependably throw long on-times, hight BPS, or overall run times at is important.

I really think the limiting factor in your design will be the toroid size and distance from toroid to primary, if you want sparks longer than, say, 6 feet or so.

I was simply following a general rule that the bottom of the toroid is in the same plane as the top of the secondary and toroid major and minor diameter match the secondary. I've messed with these numbers in JavaTC and dont see much change in rF. However, JavaTC says nothing about spark length. Can you elaborate? Also any info on how to draw a correlation between parameter selection or what JavaTC spits out and spark length would be helpful. Is it really as simple as V = L di/dt. Decide on a spark length using the known kV/cm breakdown in air and spec secondary inductance and on time appropriately?

Make sure to have enough extra primary coil turns to detune the primary up to maybe 20%? 10% is properly more reasonable...
When you say detune do you mean drop or raise frequency? If I have 10 turns on the primary to produce rF of 38kHz and I tap at 5.8 turns to match the rF of my primary for 70kHz does that leave enough extra turns?

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
8 months with no update, and its finished! ...mostly.

First the completed coil,

And a shot of soft switching,

After adjusting phase lead and feeling relatively confident that I would'nt break anything I decided to give this water filled pan all it had. Here it is glowing bright red after about 5 seconds.  ;D

Unfortunaly I'll need to make a few modifications as the inner loops of my primary supports are melting, I knew this was a possibility as they're 3d-printed from ABS. I'm now considering some type of composite filament which has a higher melting point. I plan to borrow the FLIR thermal imaging camera from my work and scope how hot they actually get.

I also cannot correctly tap the tunning of my primary circuit due to differences in my calculated and actual resonant frequency. In my OP I calculated a secondary resonant frequency close to 70kHz loaded, I physically measured the resonant F of the secondary at 100kHz unloaded and 54kHz loaded. I guess my options at this point are to rewind my secondary, re-configure my mmc with more capacitance, or build a larger primary.

Despite not being able to tune correctly I was able to get a first light. Bolts were repeatedly reaching the ground which is 6ft from breakout. Bolts were thin and not very bright so I hope to see improvements there.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:53:31 PM by AeraCura_ »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:02:06 AM »
Unfortunaly I'll need to make a few modifications as the inner loops of my primary supports are melting, I knew this was a possibility as they're 3d-printed from ABS.
How about enlarging the inner support slots, then adding some insulating material?  Perhaps short sections of silicone rubber tubing round the copper pipe at the support locations, or even wraps of kapton tape.   Fiberglass would be better, but harder to hold in place.
David Knierim

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 09:51:59 PM »
or even wraps of kapton tape.

I loved this idea so much, so I redesigned the primary supports with 2 more loops and had them laser cut out of wood. Results are spectacular!

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 11:14:07 PM »
I loved this idea so much, so I redesigned the primary supports with 2 more loops and had them laser cut out of wood. Results are spectacular!
I was actually suggesting thermal insulation to mitigate support melting, hoping you could make your ABS supports survive.  Electrical insulation for wood supports may work too.  I'm a bit concerned about long-term corona damage to the kapton, depending on how conductive your wood happens to be.  Likely fine in the short-term, and may last well enough into the future.  Thicker Kapton (more layers) will help longevity.
David Knierim

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 08:16:46 PM »
I was actually suggesting thermal insulation to mitigate support melting, hoping you could make your ABS supports survive.  Electrical insulation for wood supports may work too.  I'm a bit concerned about long-term corona damage to the kapton, depending on how conductive your wood happens to be.  Likely fine in the short-term, and may last well enough into the future.  Thicker Kapton (more layers) will help longevity.

From my research the Kapton tape I purchased should be good for 7.5kV. Not sure how this translates to my application but I'm douting its necessity at this point as I see many examples of coils using wooden primary supports with no insulation. Time will tell.

I get occasional arcing from the primary to the secondary, from my research this seems to be known as the 'racing sparks phenomenon' which relates to coupling and tuning.

JavaTC spits out a coupling coefficient of 0.152 for my dimensions, seemingly too high.
I'll also admit that I spent very little time on tuning once I saw the results I was expecting so it could be a combination of issues.
I'll spend a bit more time getting the tuning down and experiment with raising the secondary.

Considering the arcing only happens with long on times and low frequencies does anyone know if this helps narrow in on the cause?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
I'm no expert on racing sparks, but did have trouble with such.  Reduced coupling from 0.157 to 0.141 and added several more layers of urethane to my secondary.  Haven't had racing sparks since, but don't know how much of my fix is actually necessary.
David Knierim

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 10:53:46 PM »
Electrical insulation for wood supports may work too.  I'm a bit concerned about long-term corona damage to the kapton, depending on how conductive your wood happens to be.  Likely fine in the short-term, and may last well enough into the future.  Thicker Kapton (more layers) will help longevity.

I use laser cut wood primary supports without any isolation for both of my DRSSTCs and so far I didn't have any issues

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 01:22:22 PM »
Great to see that you coil is finished! I would have loved to see more updates in the 8 months, but this is good as well ;)

I like the folded busbar corners, great way to turn it without stretching or sawing/bolts, fewer bad connections in the future!

Clean switching waveforms!

I get occasional arcing from the primary to the secondary, from my research this seems to be known as the 'racing sparks phenomenon' which relates to coupling and tuning.

JavaTC spits out a coupling coefficient of 0.152 for my dimensions, seemingly too high.
I'll also admit that I spent very little time on tuning once I saw the results I was expecting so it could be a combination of issues.
I'll spend a bit more time getting the tuning down and experiment with raising the secondary.

Considering the arcing only happens with long on times and low frequencies does anyone know if this helps narrow in on the cause?

Too high coupling and badly tuned will give you racing sparks, but also damp weather conditions with high humidity, like in the start of the evening when its getter dark. A typical time to run a coil, but also with less than optimal conditions if you have condensation on your coil.

Long on-time will pull the coil more out of tune than shorter on-time, so this could be a reason for racing sparks at long on-time.

Low frequency interrupts could be because you have higher current discharges, from topload being able to get recharged between sparks. The high current discharges will result in a higher voltage wave front moving up the secondary coil and this is suspected to something like the "whiplash" problems described here: https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/secondary-coil/

Got any video of the coil running?
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
Too high coupling and badly tuned will give you racing sparks, but also damp weather conditions with high humidity, like in the start of the evening when its getter dark. A typical time to run a coil, but also with less than optimal conditions if you have condensation on your coil.

Long on-time will pull the coil more out of tune than shorter on-time, so this could be a reason for racing sparks at long on-time.

Low frequency interrupts could be because you have higher current discharges, from topload being able to get recharged between sparks. The high current discharges will result in a higher voltage wave front moving up the secondary coil and this is suspected to something like the "whiplash" problems described here: https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/secondary-coil/

Got any video of the coil running?

Thanks for the explanation, It clear that I have some work to do.

Odd that my video isn't showing up. I switched over to my desktop and cannot see it either.
I've re-uploaded to Youtube.

I'll make a better video this weekend with the results of my tuning.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal