Author Topic: My sstc 1 build log  (Read 15941 times)

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
My sstc 1 build log
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »
After a few small zvs drivers and extremely simple sstc's I wanted to make a proper sstc. I saw loneoceans sstc how-to guide and that inspired my driver (essentially based off his)

Because of work the progress will be slow but hopefully steady. The main two things I've accomplished this weekend have been designing/routing the control PCB and mocking up the interrupter on a breadboard, which is based on one Tesla's as interrupter. I'm currently drawing the interrupter to be as a shield for the Arduino Uno.

Hopefully I get some time during the week...

Offline CCX191

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My instructables
Re: My sstc 1 build log
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
That's looking clean. Looking forward for more updates!  ;D

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
Ok, so the driver chip and igbts are dead..... Triple checked the gate drive phasing and no error. Ran it on 120vdc and it had little output (maybe 40mm running interrupted). Igbts were cold but driver was hot on failure, run time was about 20 secs. I was running the gate driver at 15v and am wondering if this lead to failure.

One thing I can understand is that I've had this driver running with success on a breadboard about 4 months ago. Only difference is that now I have a proper driver/half bridge board.

The other crappy part is the ucc37321/22 pairs from rs is $50 not to mention irfp460. Maybe trying to throw some stuff together I should just follow something tried and trusted like Steve wards sstc5.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
I've just had a thought!
I've got most of the parts to make a pll circuit and some Chinese irfp260 mosfets to see if the glad bridge section/ gdt is the problem....

Offline CCX191

• View Profile
    • My instructables
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
Yeah. RS or online parts for UCCs and IRFPs are really expensive. Though sourcing them in my local component stores are cheaper except that they don't provide UCCs. How about getting it from element14? I always get my components there, perhaps it's cheaper?

I was planning to also make a PLL circuit to try out instead since my whole thing seems to be broken.

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
I buy parts from TME, they are much cheaper than mouser and digikey but they don't have some of the parts
I suggest you don't even buy fake chinese stuff, mosfets and igbts are of extremely low quality.. 600V rated ones will probably fail at 120V
From 5 40N60's I received from ebay, one was missing a collector leg and from the rest I assembled dual halfbridge which I still need to test to a point of failure

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum and great looking board :)

Do you have more pictures of the power electronics or video of when it failed?

I noticed that you did not ground the unused input pins on the 74HC14, this will give you trouble and most likely the 74HC14 will not work at all. This was dicussed only a few days ago in this thread: https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=93.msg431#msg431

Unfortunately there are not many places that can source the UCC driver chips, I have tried to substitute them with Maxim parts, but they have less options and lower performance, so they were okay for small coils, but other than that I went back to UCCs.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »
Cheers for the reply guys, element14 seems to be the go. I'd much rather buy single pairs rather than 5 pairs at the moment.

Mads, yep I read that post aswell. Unfortunately the error occurred even with the input pins grounded...

So I decided to push ahead with a pll driver and bd140/139 gate driver, I didn't have a suitable core for CT feedback so I used a 74hc14 antenna feedback instead. Unfortunately the chinese irfp250s died as I thought they would, but it was from running them at higher than rated voltages. At least I now know the half bridge is correct.

Sorry about the crappy quality.
/>

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »
A MOSFET will not tolerate over-voltage, remember that you properly have high switching transients too, in a Tesla coil I would always advise on have 1/3 of the voltage rating as overhead.

Over-current is somewhat more tolerable from good cooling and short run times. But since you are running CW that is already pretty harsh on them :)

Great little coil with some star wars!

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
A MOSFET will not tolerate over-voltage, remember that you properly have high switching transients too, in a Tesla coil I would always advise on have 1/3 of the voltage rating as overhead.

Over-current is somewhat more tolerable from good cooling and short run times. But since you are running CW that is already pretty harsh on them :)

Great little coil with some star wars!

cheers,
i was aware that pushing the mosfets past the voltage rating would kill them.... i just wanted to see how far they could be pushed considering they were chinese. gotta have a bit of fun!

I've ordered the ucc37322/21 drivers and a pair of irfp460 mosfets from element14 so hopefully they wont take overly long to get here. here's the pictures of the half-bridge section

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
i haven't really been doing much on the sstc driver lately as i'm waiting for the new ucc3732x drivers to arrive. I ended up ordering from rs components after i found element14 wanted to charge $14 (aud) shipping.... that's two irfp460!! so i'm waiting on a pair of irfp460 and 5 pairs of the ucc3732x drivers. The little work i have done has been on the driver logic. this basically shows how i draw circuits to be isolation milled, there are way more efficient ways to draw but i find this easy. My design is far from perfect to some people but for me its fine.

before cleaning up

after cleaning up

Offline CCX191

• View Profile
    • My instructables
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
Nice. Element14 has a one day free delivery shipping service in my country. Order by 5pm and you get it next day by 1pm pretty good service they have here somehow. But IRFP460s are super overpriced so I get them from my local component stores.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Shipping prices are also the reason that I only order parts from RS, farnell, mouser etc if I can not find it anywhere else. We got one small electronic parts supplier left in Denmark, www.el-supply.dk which have good prices on the small stuff, but power electronics and special ICs gets very expensive. Often I resort to do a mass buy from mouser in Sweden and simply just spend the money on 30x UCCs or so, to hit a price break.

Did you remember C5 and C6? The decouple capacitors for the driver ICs, I can not really see them in the layout, they should be mounted right next to the ICs.

Are you just making the router layout in paint or is that some special program? I also used to make 90 degree corners, but now I only make 45 degree, it won't really make a difference, but gives you more space when you make boards with many traces. This is from a Universal driver 2.1 made for single sided PCB.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »
Shipping prices are also the reason that I only order parts from RS, farnell, mouser etc if I can not find it anywhere else. We got one small electronic parts supplier left in Denmark, www.el-supply.dk which have good prices on the small stuff, but power electronics and special ICs gets very expensive. Often I resort to do a mass buy from mouser in Sweden and simply just spend the money on 30x UCCs or so, to hit a price break.

Did you remember C5 and C6? The decouple capacitors for the driver ICs, I can not really see them in the layout, they should be mounted right next to the ICs.

Are you just making the router layout in paint or is that some special program? I also used to make 90 degree corners, but now I only make 45 degree, it won't really make a difference, but gives you more space when you make boards with many traces. This is from a Universal driver 2.1 made for single sided PCB.

Good catch! C6 is there but for some unknown reason C5 isn't.... There near the numbers. I haven't flipped the circuit yet so imagine looking straight down at it.

The software I use is called vectric aspire, I use it for some of my projects but mainly for rc plane servo horns. Your PCB board looks very clean! I think on one of your sstc posts on your site you use express PCB? I don't suppose you'd be keen to email the file to see if I can mill it out? If successful I could even send you some. But I do understand if you don't want to release them as it looks like quite a bit of development has gone into it.

Nice. Element14 has a one day free delivery shipping service in my country. Order by 5pm and you get it next day by 1pm pretty good service they have here somehow. But IRFP460s are super overpriced so I get them from my local component stores.

It seems irfp460 are a killer for most people. Tbh I think that's what makes second hand and fakes so popular, don't get me wrong I've also used second hand and fakes for some projects. I only wish there was somewhere local that's stocks the parts that I need.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:54:58 AM by Mads Barnkob »

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
Got the PCB board made, now waiting on the MOSFETs to come. Not much to say really so pictures! The only thing I'm thinking for the next revision is to buffer? (Don't know the correct terminology) the output from the fibre receiver through the 74hc14.....

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
Got some presents in the mail today! 3 x loneoceans Universal drsstc bare PCB boards, 2 x 30n60 and 2 x ixgn60n60.

At the moment it's running the 30n60s interrupted with the heatsinks cool to the touch.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »
I got a feeling that you are upgrading this coil to a DRSSTC now :)

A half-bridge of 60N60 minibricks can do 500A primary peak current. But do not push them much more than that.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:47:33 AM »
I got a feeling that you are upgrading this coil to a DRSSTC now :)

A half-bridge of 60N60 minibricks can do 500A primary peak current. But do not push them much more than that.

Hahaha, to be honest this one is getting finished off as a standard sstc, so far it's been reliable so it should make a perfect demo coil. I think for now I'll keep collecting the parts to make a drsstc and continue to make sstc and learn a bit more....... Hopefully saving silicon in the process.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
So tonight I started and finished!  my add-on board for the driver. It's just the fibre receiver, 74hc14, resistor and led for status. The idea came when I connected a small speaker to the output of the fibre receiver and wasn't impressed with the noise (Hi-Tec I know) after that I connected it to a 74hc14 and was impressed with the clarity of the output. For some reason I didn't check anything with an oscilloscope....

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »
It always a good idea to buffer the input to a good clean square wave and you have that nicely done with that cute little board on top of the other. Now there is also room for a screw to hold the opto housing in place :)

Good call on building more SSTC before moving to DRSSTC, it will pay off in the end, less mistakes to do on a more complex coil.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal