Author Topic: Problem with SSTC  (Read 9462 times)

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with SSTC
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 04:27:13 AM »
The only acquisition modes available are Auto, Normal and Single.
Those are usually called "trigger modes".  Perhaps your scope does not have any selection for acquisition modes.

But in fact I did it as you can see from the first post. But since the igbt's continued to burn, I thought of carrying out this test.
Thank you for the reminder.  Yes, I see.  Would guess the JavaTC results to be more reliable than the meter's.

while on pin 2 and therefore also on 3 and 4 I see nothing, high frequency noise only.
Pin 2/3 and 4 should have square waves from 0 to 5V.  Is the high-frequency noise 0-5V?
Is your scope probe 1X or 10X?  1X probes have much higher capacitance and low bandwidth.  If 1X, probe capacitance is likely significantly higher than antenna etc. capacitance.  You may need a significantly larger resistor value.  The square wave on pin 2/3 and 4 will be somewhat noisy, as the antenna is still picking up random signals from adjacent electronics (light fixtures etc.).  Pick a resistor that gets average around operating frequency.  (If probe attenuation can be switched, use 10X for all your probing.  Be sure to adjust probe compensation using a ~1kHz square wave signal, usually provided by the scope for that purpose.)

Yes, unused inputs are connected together.
I presume they each input is connected to output of another inverter.  If an inverter input is connected to its own output, it will oscillate.

I tried to redo the tests by applying to the antenna a 200kHz square wave generated with an arduino.
Now on the gate of the first igbt I see this:
This looks like roughly +-25V gate drive.  Are you sure your GDT is 8:12 and not 8:16 or some other such 1:2 ratio?  Or, did you increase driver supply voltage above 12V?  Or perhaps you are using 10X scope probe that has not been adjusted to match scope input capacitance.
Also, do you know if your arduino output is square (50% duty cycle)?  Or, does it match the duty cycle of gate signals?  If the driver circuit is causing the duty cycle change shown, that indicates some problem.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »
Pin 2/3 and 4 should have square waves from 0 to 5V.  Is the high-frequency noise 0-5V?
Is your scope probe 1X or 10X?  1X probes have much higher capacitance and low bandwidth.  If 1X, probe capacitance is likely significantly higher than antenna etc. capacitance.  You may need a significantly larger resistor value.  The square wave on pin 2/3 and 4 will be somewhat noisy, as the antenna is still picking up random signals from adjacent electronics (light fixtures etc.).  Pick a resistor that gets average around operating frequency.  (If probe attenuation can be switched, use 10X for all your probing.  Be sure to adjust probe compensation using a ~1kHz square wave signal, usually provided by the scope for that purpose.)
No, the noise has a lower voltage.
My probe can switch to 10X but if I do it on pin 1 of the HC14 I don't see anything anymore. In addition, as soon as the probe touches pin 1, the GDT stops emitting a kind of buzzing sound.
Another problem is that my oscilloscope does not have the 1kHz output to compensate the probe so the 10X measurements I don't think are very reliable.

I presume they each input is connected to output of another inverter.  If an inverter input is connected to its own output, it will oscillate.
No, as you can see from the photo only the unused inputs are connected together.

This looks like roughly +-25V gate drive.  Are you sure your GDT is 8:12 and not 8:16 or some other such 1:2 ratio?  Or, did you increase driver supply voltage above 12V?  Or perhaps you are using 10X scope probe that has not been adjusted to match scope input capacitance.
Also, do you know if your arduino output is square (50% duty cycle)?  Or, does it match the duty cycle of gate signals?  If the driver circuit is causing the duty cycle change shown, that indicates some problem.
The GDT should be wound correctly, I think the problem is that the probe is not compensated correctly.
The output of the arduino is not perfectly at 50%, connecting it to the antenna, on pin 1 I see this

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 08:25:55 PM »
No, the noise has a lower voltage.
My probe can switch to 10X but if I do it on pin 1 of the HC14 I don't see anything anymore. In addition, as soon as the probe touches pin 1, the GDT stops emitting a kind of buzzing sound.
Another problem is that my oscilloscope does not have the 1kHz output to compensate the probe so the 10X measurements I don't think are very reliable.
Lower voltage may be due to limited bandwidth of 1x probe.  Can you make your arduino output a 1kHz (approximately) square (approximately) wave for adjusting the probe in 10x mode?  Scoping will be much more helpful with a 10x probe.

What is your scope's vertical sensitivity range (min and max volts/division)?  Or, if you have a link to a data sheet or specifications for your scope, I'll take a look.  Perhaps volts/division doesn't go low enough to see pin1 signal with 10x probe.  Still, 10x will be MUCH better for almost all scoping:  much lower loading on circuit nodes and much higher bandwidth.

No, as you can see from the photo only the unused inputs are connected together.
Are these four inputs also wired to ground or +5V on another layer?  If wired only to each other, they can still oscillate and cause issues.

The GDT should be wound correctly, I think the problem is that the probe is not compensated correctly.
The output of the arduino is not perfectly at 50%, connecting it to the antenna, on pin 1 I see this
That explains the duty cycle on gate voltage.  No issue there.  Gate voltage of +-25V is still above 1.5 x +-10V (or whatever the driver manages to generate on 12V supply, certainly not more than +-12V).  If you can get 10x working properly, I recommend probing GDT primary leads and then GDT output (Vge) with the same scope settings.  Then it will be clear if there is a GDT ratio issue or some other problem with scoping.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2022, 09:55:23 PM »
Lower voltage may be due to limited bandwidth of 1x probe.  Can you make your arduino output a 1kHz (approximately) square (approximately) wave for adjusting the probe in 10x mode?  Scoping will be much more helpful with a 10x probe.

What is your scope's vertical sensitivity range (min and max volts/division)?  Or, if you have a link to a data sheet or specifications for your scope, I'll take a look.  Perhaps volts/division doesn't go low enough to see pin1 signal with 10x probe.  Still, 10x will be MUCH better for almost all scoping:  much lower loading on circuit nodes and much higher bandwidth.
The oscilloscope datasheet is this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] (I don't know why i get this error)

I tried to compensate the probe with a 1 kHz signal generated by the arduino but I can't do better than this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

However trying this way on pin 1 I see this:

While if I set the probe on 1X I see the wave that I had posted a few messages ago.

Are these four inputs also wired to ground or +5V on another layer?  If wired only to each other, they can still oscillate and cause issues.
No, they are just connected to each other.

That explains the duty cycle on gate voltage.  No issue there.  Gate voltage of +-25V is still above 1.5 x +-10V (or whatever the driver manages to generate on 12V supply, certainly not more than +-12V).  If you can get 10x working properly, I recommend probing GDT primary leads and then GDT output (Vge) with the same scope settings.  Then it will be clear if there is a GDT ratio issue or some other problem with scoping.
I tried again to carry out these measurements and on the GDT primary I see this:

While on the respective secondaries I see this:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 10:04:37 PM by Nunu00 »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2022, 11:07:46 PM »
The oscilloscope datasheet is this:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] (I don't know why i get this error)
I've gotten the same error once or twice.  Thought perhaps it was an issue of file extension being JPG instead of jpg, but that doesn't appear to be the issue.  So, I don't know why either.

I tried to compensate the probe with a 1 kHz signal generated by the arduino but I can't do better than this:
That is unfortunate!  Looks like the probe is designed for a scope with higher input capacitance than yours.  But, it also looks like arduino is putting out only 1.5V square wave, which seems too low.  Do you know what the arduino output voltage should be?  Perhaps the real issue is with the probe, internal 9meg resistor has failed to ~20-30meg.  That would explain both the inability to compensate and the low signal amplitude at low frequency.  Do you have a DMM?  I'd suggest measuring across scope probe input, in both 1x and 10x mode.  Should be 1meg in 1x mode and 10meg in 10x mode.  If 10meg is way off, can you find another 10x probe somewhere?  Even this cheap scope will be very valuable as long as it is functioning correctly.
If you know what voltage the arduino is outputting (typically same as supply voltage, either 3.3V or 5V), you could adjust the probe to give the correct amplitude at high frequency (100kHz and up).  Then 10x mode would be useful for measuring AC signals at TC operating frequency.

However trying this way on pin 1 I see this:
Yes, that makes sense.  Self-oscillating resistor value will need to be higher to get frequency reasonable without scope probe loading.  As I'd mentioned, it will be noisy due to antenna picking up random signals.

No, they are just connected to each other.
That should be fixed.  You could add a solder-bridge between pins 13 and 14.  Then all unused inputs are connected to +5V.

I tried again to carry out these measurements and on the GDT primary I see this:
Ratio looks reasonably close to 1:1.5.  Given probe compensation failure, I'll ignore absolute amplitudes.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2022, 01:56:08 AM »
I measured the resistance of the probe and in 1X mode I read 340 ohm while in 10X mode I read 9 Mega ohm, i get the same results also on another identical probe.
I also have the "probe" that comes with the oscilloscope which is simply a pair of alligator clips and the resistance of this one is zero ohm (but I can't switch it to 10X mode).

The input resistance of the oscilloscope is about 400k ohm even if 1 mega is written on the datasheet (this is also confirmed by a video I saw on youtube).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 02:04:52 AM by Nunu00 »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 03:42:14 AM »
I measured the resistance of the probe and in 1X mode I read 340 ohm while in 10X mode I read 9 Mega ohm, i get the same results also on another identical probe.
I also have the "probe" that comes with the oscilloscope which is simply a pair of alligator clips and the resistance of this one is zero ohm (but I can't switch it to 10X mode).
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I was referring to measuring probe tip to probe ground with probe connected to scope and scope turned on.  But I think your measurements are sufficient to understand the issue given comment quoted below.

The input resistance of the oscilloscope is about 400k ohm even if 1 mega is written on the datasheet (this is also confirmed by a video I saw on youtube).
Is this measured with the scope turned on?  If so, that explains why 10x probes do not work correctly.  Since the scope specifications both say "1 meg" and define input capability when using 10x probes, this would be blatantly dishonest advertising.

This is definitely limiting on scope usefulness :(  Probably best to stay with 1x and probe only low-impedance nodes (chip outputs in general).  For adjusting self-oscillation frequency, I'd probe HC14 pin 4.  That way scope load doesn't affect delay of pin1-2 inverter, as scope probe capacitance may affect even the output terminal somewhat.  Or, probe output of MCP14E5 to ground.  (Better not to probe across GDT input terminals.  Even with an isolated battery-powered scope, connecting scope "ground" lead to an active signal adds a large antenna to that node, which will couple to your SSTC feedback antenna and change circuit operation.)  Always ground scope probe to ECB ground, or to low-side IGBT emitter (or high-side emitter when half-bridge is not powered) when measuring gate voltages.

Back to possible general issues:  Besides connecting unused HC14 inputs to +5V or ground, the antenna lead wiring may need shielding.  Goal is to minimize unwanted feedback from half-bridge or other primary-side signals.  Some designs use coax cable or other shielded cable to bring the antenna connection from driver board to outside the box above primary coil.  Then the antenna is picking up mostly secondary voltage.  Shield is connected to driver board ground.  (Such coax or other shielded wiring will add capacitance.  Best to make that change before adjusting self-oscillation feedback resistor value.  Should reduce noise too.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 03:45:15 AM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 11:48:17 AM »
This is definitely limiting on scope usefulness :(  Probably best to stay with 1x and probe only low-impedance nodes (chip outputs in general).  For adjusting self-oscillation frequency, I'd probe HC14 pin 4.  That way scope load doesn't affect delay of pin1-2 inverter, as scope probe capacitance may affect even the output terminal somewhat.  Or, probe output of MCP14E5 to ground.  (Better not to probe across GDT input terminals.  Even with an isolated battery-powered scope, connecting scope "ground" lead to an active signal adds a large antenna to that node, which will couple to your SSTC feedback antenna and change circuit operation.)  Always ground scope probe to ECB ground, or to low-side IGBT emitter (or high-side emitter when half-bridge is not powered) when measuring gate voltages.
I connected the unused inputs of the HC14 to +5V and then I did several tests (all with the probe in 1X) with different resistors but the only thing I get is the frequency variation on pin 1. On pin 4 and also on the MCP inputs I only see noise . The only way to get something is to touch the antenna with the hand, in this way the frequency obviously changes but increases the amplitude of the signal on pin 1 up to over 1 Vpp and on pin 4 i get a quite good square wave.

Back to possible general issues:  Besides connecting unused HC14 inputs to +5V or ground, the antenna lead wiring may need shielding.  Goal is to minimize unwanted feedback from half-bridge or other primary-side signals.  Some designs use coax cable or other shielded cable to bring the antenna connection from driver board to outside the box above primary coil.  Then the antenna is picking up mostly secondary voltage.  Shield is connected to driver board ground.  (Such coax or other shielded wiring will add capacitance.  Best to make that change before adjusting self-oscillation feedback resistor value.  Should reduce noise too.)
I could do this test but the only type of shielded cable at my disposal is the one used for the satellite TV signal. Could it work well?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 06:49:26 PM »
I could do this test but the only type of shielded cable at my disposal is the one used for the satellite TV signal. Could it work well?
Yes, that cable will be great electrically.  Hope it isn't physically too stiff to work with.

On pin 4 and also on the MCP inputs I only see noise.
Only possible explanation I can come up with is that antenna is coupling to GDT wires or other circuitry, causing oscillations that are too fast for your scope to measure cleanly.  I'd suggest scoping HC14 pin 4 one more time after changing to shielded cable for connection from antenna to circuit board.  If it is still noise, I'm at a loss for ideas.  Any very-nearby radio stations or other sources of strong RF signals being picked up by the antenna??  Not too likely.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 07:50:17 PM »
I replaced the antenna cable with the coaxial one but nothing has changed. On pin 1 I always see the same signal from about 600 mVpp but on pins 2/3 and 4 I see nothing. I might think the chip has some problem but applying an external signal it works fine so I don't know.

Any very-nearby radio stations or other sources of strong RF signals being picked up by the antenna??
No, the only repeater near home is for mobile 4G but I don't think it can give me problems. Maybe it could be the switching power supply I'm using to power the circuit while doing the tests?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »
On pin 1 I always see the same signal from about 600 mVpp but on pins 2/3 and 4 I see nothing.
Do you mean "nothing" or is there noise centered around 2.5V (middle between 0V and logic supply of 5V)?  Perhaps it is worthwhile to check voltages with your DMM (presumably 10meg input impedance) on HC14 pin1, 2/3, and 4.  I wonder if one of the antenna input diodes or HC14 is partially damaged, pulling pin1 close to 5V, and only the scope's 400k to ground brings it into operating range.  Seems quite unlikely, but I'm running out of ideas.

No, the only repeater near home is for mobile 4G but I don't think it can give me problems. Maybe it could be the switching power supply I'm using to power the circuit while doing the tests?
4G should be much too high frequency to cause issues.  If it was the switching supply, shielded antenna cable should have helped at least some.  Cable shield is connected to circuit board ground, correct?
David Knierim

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2022, 09:42:02 PM »
Is this measured with the scope turned on?  If so, that explains why 10x probes do not work correctly.  Since the scope specifications both say "1 meg" and define input capability when using 10x probes, this would be blatantly dishonest advertising.

This is definitely limiting on scope usefulness :(

These cheap "DSO" oscilloscopes are grossly over advertised. It is downright lies and slander, its the "normal" Chinese exaggerated branding crap like tasers with 5MV output.

I would not trust any of these scopes at frequencies over 1/10th of their advertised band width. This is at least my own experience.

/>
With dodgy input "impedance" given as 1M instead of a input resistance and capacitance, its worthless. It only makes sense to talk about impedance at a specific frequency.

Nunu00: Spend the money on a proper cheap DSO from Rigol, Hantek or similar. Even a old analog 20 MHz oscilloscope from a flea-market will be better. It might not show frequency and voltages, but at least you can trust its measurements :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 11:00:41 PM »
Do you mean "nothing" or is there noise centered around 2.5V (middle between 0V and logic supply of 5V)?  Perhaps it is worthwhile to check voltages with your DMM (presumably 10meg input impedance) on HC14 pin1, 2/3, and 4.  I wonder if one of the antenna input diodes or HC14 is partially damaged, pulling pin1 close to 5V, and only the scope's 400k to ground brings it into operating range.  Seems quite unlikely, but I'm running out of ideas.
I made the measurements with the DMM (according to the datasheet it has an input impedance of 10M and it shouldn't be crap like the oscilloscope) and on pins 1, 2/3 and 4 it detects about + 2.3V.
I also repeated the measurements with the oscilloscope in AC mode and on pin 1 I see this (I know the frequency is wrong but I was doing some tests with higher resistance values):

On pin 4 in AC mode I see this:

While in DC mode I see this:

The measurements seem to me consistent between the DMM and the oscilloscope.

Spend the money on a proper cheap DSO from Rigol, Hantek or similar. Even a old analog 20 MHz oscilloscope from a flea-market will be better. It might not show frequency and voltages, but at least you can trust its measurements :)
Unfortunately I know, in fact I am planning to buy a Rigol DS1102Z.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:57:49 PM by Mads Barnkob »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 07:06:54 PM »
I also repeated the measurements with the oscilloscope in AC mode and on pin 1 I see this (I know the frequency is wrong but I was doing some tests with higher resistance values):
That may be about the correct resistance, as frequency will increase when probe is removed.  No way to know until probing pin 4 works correctly.

On pin 4 in AC mode I see this:
It is clear now that the HC14 is oscillating at 9 or 11MHz (aliasing with scope's 20Msps sample rate).  Amplitude is low because this is well beyond even the scope's specified 5MHz bandwidth.  This high-frequency oscillation is likely present only when loaded by the scope probe.  However, I think it may indicate a more general issue.  Looking back at images of the circuit board, ground appears to be routed in traces that don't form any sort of grid or other approximation of a ground plane.  In particular for this 9MHz oscillation, ground trace from HC14-7 to 0.1uF bypass capacitor is rather long.  I'd suggest hand-adding wires directly between ground points on the back of the board.  Or, even better, use copper foil to add ground connections.  A small capacitor directly between HC14 pins 7 and 14 would also help.  (Other chips would likely benefit from short-leaded bypass capacitors on the back too.  I haven't examined the overall layout in detail.)  Just adding the back-side HC14 bypass capacitor would likely be enough to stop the 9MHz oscillation.  A complete ground grid will prevent other issues.  This specific 9MHz oscillation may not be the exact problem causing IGBT frying.  It may be some other parasitic oscillation caused by ground (or supply) wiring inductance.

Unfortunately I know, in fact I am planning to buy a Rigol DS1102Z.
A good scope will definitely help with debug, especially allowing proper use of 10x probing.  In the mean time, you could probe at 1x with a ~1k resistor between probe tip and HC14-4 or whatever pin you are probing.  That will likely isolate probe capacitance from HC14-4 enough to prevent oscillation, but will further reduce measurement bandwidth.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 04:44:13 PM »
Ok, I think that until I will buy a decent oscilloscope I will stop testing because I feel like I'm wasting time and I'm wasting your time too.
Thanks, see you soon.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2022, 03:57:54 AM »
Ok, I think that until I will buy a decent oscilloscope I will stop testing because I feel like I'm wasting time and I'm wasting your time too.
While you wait for a new scope, you could still be enhancing ground connections and bypass caps on your board.  That will clean up signal quality and make debugging even easier.  Might even fix the real problem.

Yes, a new scope will make debugging more efficient.  Still, it has been a somewhat fun challenge to decipher what is happening based on constrained measurements.  The 9-11MHz oscillation when probing HC14-4 is a key clue to ground interconnect and chip power bypassing being insufficient.

Good luck going forward!
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 03:16:40 PM »
Finally after almost a year I was able to buy a decent oscilloscope. So I am again available to carry out any test you recommend to try to definitively solve the problems with this circuit.
In the meantime I was thinking of redoing the pcb of the circuit since the ground plane is totally missing and some decoupling capacitors are also missing.  I also accept advice on possible improvements to be made to the circuit.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 04:04:58 PM by Nunu00 »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 04:17:44 AM »
I also accept advice on possible improvements to be made to the circuit.
I'd suggest two changes:

1) Change to a 1:1:1 GDT.  Use 15V for existing driver chip.  Better, change to a higher-voltage driver chip such as:
NCP81071
IX4340
UCC27624
1EDN751x or 1EDN851x single-channel SOT23-5/6 pin package
IVCR2401
and run at 18 or 19V.  1:1:1 GDT will have much lower leakage inductance than 1:1.5:1.5.  Even better, 1:1:1:1 with paralleled primaries as in:
    https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1854.msg13949#msg13949

2: Lower priority, but I'd add a resistor from 74HC14-2 to right side of 1kR input resistor.  That will keep 74HC14-1 input close to threshold voltage, so make startup more reliable.  For especially reliable startup, adjust the value of this resistor until 74HC14 oscillates close to your operating frequency when interrupter input is off.

For layout, I start with ground plane covering entire back side of ECB.  Attempt to place parts so that all non-ground routing can be done on top layer only.  Where that isn't possible, make only short cross-over connections on back side (which create holes in ground plane).  Avoid long traces on back side (long gaps in ground).  If absolutely necessary to have a long gap, make ground ties across gap on top side.  Place bypass caps near power pins.  Ground should be low inductance, so less critical to have cap near ground pins.
David Knierim

Offline Nunu00

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »
I wanted to redo the pcb by reusing the components of the old one to save money but the new recommended drivers are all in the smd package. At this point I wonder if it would make sense to redo the whole board in the smd version or just replace the driver and use all the other components in through hole package.

Regarding the second advice, I can try to make all the connections only on the top layer but I think that in the power area that goes from the GDT to the IGBTs it is not possible.

The last doubts are whether the plane ground will have to be only on the bottom layer and whether it will also have to cover the IGBT area.

Then i wonder if it is also better to put the mains voltage rectification stage on this board with the two large electrolytics which are currently on a other board.

Furthermore, the size of the traces in the old pcb seems to me really exaggerated, in fact the largest are 6mm. Do they have to be that big or can I make them smaller?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 04:11:13 AM »
All the options have advantages and disadvantages.  Just helped a friend debug his EVR Mirrobrute kit.  It uses 15V drivers and 1:1:1 GDT.  Earlier versions used higher GDT ratios.  Going above 15V helps if you want to push IGBT current higher.

6mm traces are great for IC power connections.  Even for those connections, thinner traces are usually fine as long as bypass capacitors are very close to power pins.  For logic connections such as to/from 74HC14, thin traces are preferred to minimize stray capacitance.

The EVR kit I just saw integrates IGBTs with control.  Most designs don't.  My personal preference is to keep those separate.  Power board can often be made by dremel-tool cuts in raw (unetched) copper clad board, at least of gate signals are kept separate, as in this thread:
    https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1324.msg9795#msg9795
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:14:51 AM by davekni »
David Knierim

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 04:11:13 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Capacitor in Parallel with Primary Coil
[Beginners]
FPS
Today at 01:39:04 PM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
Mads Barnkob
Today at 10:23:02 AM
post Re: Capacitor in Parallel with Primary Coil
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
Today at 10:17:34 AM
post Capacitor in Parallel with Primary Coil
[Beginners]
FPS
Today at 10:01:41 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal