Author Topic: Next Gen DRSSTC  (Read 80241 times)

Offline Netzpfuscher

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Next Gen DRSSTC
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2020, 06:50:37 AM »
I won't change the max start cycles. There must be something wrong with your coil. You know that your coil is hard switching during startup?  ;)

But you can do it yourself, don't set values over 254, it is only a 8 bit counter:

https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/8485ae9c3ac583cc6fc78cb531a84307acef4161/common/ud3core/cli_common.c#L216

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My random (and very empty) electronics blog
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2020, 11:52:28 PM »
I finally finished my new coil, can't wait to test it at the lab with more space (and maybe Netzpfuschers coil too)

Setting it up was so much easier than with more basic drivers too.
Just hook up the primary and run the autotune to see if it is tuned right, and that's it :D
No messing around with an oscilloscope, the feedback polarity, or tweaking potis to get the lead time correct. Just type in the numbers and the coil works, pretty awesome to be honest.

Offline Intra

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
I won't change the max start cycles. There must be something wrong with your coil. You know that your coil is hard switching during startup?  ;)

But you can do it yourself, don't set values over 254, it is only a 8 bit counter:

https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/8485ae9c3ac583cc6fc78cb531a84307acef4161/common/ud3core/cli_common.c#L216

Thanks! Yes, you were right. Something was wrong with a coil. After deep analysis I found that my flashovers from previous test some way burnt sensor's comparator or +\-12v supply driver chain. After I cut out all peripheral driver part the signal became looking good.

Anyway, I choosed secondary and primary inductors for mmc I have and looks like the impedances is not matched good. Result of 20mS under 60A current limit is about 10-15cm spark.

Nevertheless I want to try to oscilate whole coil on start freq because I see the coil grab a feedback and sometimes jump between poles and I do not see another way besides to force a coil to sometimes hardswitch through the whole freq sweeping down under spark loading so please if you can change the start cycles counter to 16 or 32 bit I will be very appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:24:24 PM by Intra »

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2020, 06:22:26 PM »
Netzpfuscher pointed at the place where the range can be changed - treat it as an opportunity to learn how to modify and compile the code (PSoC creator is freely available from Cypress semi).

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
Netzpfuscher pointed at the place where the range can be changed - treat it as an opportunity to learn how to modify and compile the code (PSoC creator is freely available from Cypress semi).

My apologies.

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
QCW MIDI is awesome :3

Offline pc50kd

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2021, 02:35:18 PM »
A while ago I build a coil using the UD3 driver. Back then I used the pre-compiled firmware posted by Netzpfuscher.
The coil worked great except for the lead time compensation.

Recently I saw that the bug concerning the lead time compensation was fixed. So I updated my UD3 to the latest firmware.

After doing this the UD3 only communicates over the onboard USB connection. On the RX and TX pins for the UART connections I get no data at all.
I tried enabling and disabling the min protocol and various other settings but this made no difference. The board only communicates on 480600 baud with plain UART over the onboard USB connection.

Am I missing a new setting in the firmware or is there something else I might be doing wrong?

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »
I remember the UART pins accidentally being swapped in a previous firmware revision. Did you try reversing RX and TX?

Offline acobaugh

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2021, 07:33:26 AM »
Looking to build one of these boards to swap in my big 8" coil to replace the existing UD2.7C. Does anyone have a kicad version of this board? I've been looking at https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3_Kicad, but it looks like that project differs from the original Altium version, and without access to altium, I'm having a hard time figuring out what those differences are, and why. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »
I never finished the Kicad version. Only the Altium Version is up to date. I initially worked on the Kicad to make the board 4 layer and integrated ethernet. But now with the Fibernet everything is obsolete.

There is at least a board importer in Kicad which on the first look works great.

Offline acobaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »
I tried the kicad importer a couple different ways. At least with the version I tried on Linux, it never quite got the board layout right. In the end I ended up grabbing a free trial version of altium designer, and figured it out just enough to generate PDFs and gerbers. Just to make sure before I place my order, https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3_PCB is the right repo for the latest board?

What capacitors are we using for C1, C2, C36, C43, C46? The BOM just says "electrolytic capacitor."

What SFP modules are we using with the fibernet board? It looks like the lan9250 supports 100base-fx. Is it sensitive to vendors at all, or will just about any 100base-fx sfp module work? What are folks doing on the other end to hook up to a PC, just a media converter? Ethernet switch? Is the wire protocol used with the fibernet documented anywhere? Just curious.

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2021, 01:41:07 PM »
The fibernet can work with any 100Base-Fx module. I have been using some used ones from ebay with no problem.
The others side just goes into a 100Base-Fx media converter, the fibernet supports DHCP and will get itself a unique Mac address from the ID bytes in the UD3.

The protocol used is MIN, but with some slight modifications. It transmits individual packets, which are converted into UDP. All data coming in on port 1337 is forwarded to the UD3 and all data it sends back gets sent to the last client that sent data to 1337.
There isn't really much more documentation about the thing at the moment...

The PCBs should be the most recent revision, I've ordered some of them from JLC and they came out fine, except for the little TC pcb art on the left having some weird rings over it. Shouldn't affect functionality though.

I can check those caps later.

Offline VEKTOR

• animated GIFs?! Abomination...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2021, 09:22:59 PM »
Hello there

The PCBs should be the most recent revision, I've ordered some of them from JLC and they came out fine, except for the little TC pcb art on the left having some weird rings over it. Shouldn't affect functionality though.
I did the same as acobaugh, installed altium viewer, generated gerber files and quoted them at JLCPCB.
At least the online PCB viewer knows how to handle this files, so they shot be correct enough, i guess  :-\
BUT now comes the trap for young players (or maybe not), this files contain two different designs! The main driver board an the 4 gate PCBs.
So, when I understood this page correctly
https://jlcpcb.com//quote/pcbOrderFaq/Different%20Design%20in%20Panel?_ga=2.186550766.618861736.1612917287-1327371747.1609403369
they'll charge you extra for this, to be precise the price jumps from 2$ to 12.10$...
I would pay that but it's contra intuitive, to squeeze everything into 10x10cm and then have to pay much more compered to quoting two different PCBs, that would cost only 4$.

I guess you just made a quote for a single design (2$) and hoped that it slips through?

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2021, 10:52:30 PM »
I think the $2 thing might just be for the first board design in an order, then it rises to 5 or something? Could be wrong about that, has been a while since I've ordered from them. Regardless, very cheap even when not at the $2 promo price.

I personally wouldn't complain too much about the JLC policy - they do actually tell you how to be a cheapskate at the bottom of the page!

Offline acobaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2021, 04:37:35 AM »
I actually managed to slog my way through altium long enough to modify the PCB to take out the gate drive boards, since I have my own design for CM300 half bridge modules. I can share the gerber files for that if you're interested.

JLC usually has some sort of deal for new users or new designs. I've been happy with them. And consider not too long ago we were still having to pay a premium for PCBs or etch them ourselves.

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »
Though it might be a little sketchy, you can just say "the slots near the top are for HV isolation". They didn't require the multiple different designs charge when I did that.

I can share the gerber files for that if you're interested.
Sure contributions are always welcome :)
I think it would work best if you created a fork of the repo and added your files to a new branch, then people can just download that if they need it. (or you could just send them to me and I'll add then if you want :D)

Offline AeraCura_

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2021, 11:15:32 PM »
I can share the gerber files for that if you're interested.

Wherever you decide to put the files let me know.

Offline acobaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2021, 05:46:17 AM »
As of this afternoon, I now have a fully assembled and flashed UD3. Booted it up and played around with the CLI a bit. This is going to be fun!

As far as gerber files - I can issue a PR if that would be helpful. That being said, I found about a dozen or so pads that weren't labeled in the silkscreen layer, so I had to go back and forth with Altium with a Viewer license to locate the right parts. If I had caught this sooner, I would have fixed it before my trial license expired. Sigh.

What I would like to do long term is put together a place with links to the different projects, guides, assembly/testing instructions, errata, etc. Preferably something collaborative. I'm tempted to just throw a page up on my personal site, which is done in markdown (using Hugo) and versioned on github. I'd happily accept PRs. Maybe I'll just do this on my own and see how far I get with creating actual content.

Offline acobaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2021, 11:05:34 PM »
I'm having problems using the serial line on my UD3. It started when I went to test the Fibernet board I received. The board was never initializing the ethernet port, so it seemed like it was never receiving the UD3 ID. Since then I've tried using just a simple usb to uart converter. Here's what I've observed:

* baudrate = 460800 for all tests
* ivo_uart doesn't seem to make any difference (that I could see)
* physically swapping RX/TX definitely has an effect. One way (RX->TX, TX->RX) causes the COMM light to blink when I type, the other way nothing happens
* min_enable = 1 causes garbage characters to be printed to the terminal every 1s, along with "min reset" alarms logged every 1s
* when typing in the terminal, I can see the COMM light blink.
* I get garbage characters at startup, and sometimes if I type fast enough I can get garbage characters back
* Teslaterm is unable to connect no matter what I try - plain serial or min serial
* USB CLI works just fine

All of these tests were done with both GNU screen, minicom, and the latest teslaterm with identical results.

This is with 54449c1728419ab4e3e3023d3c90874c25ec97e1 from master.

What I observed with the fibernet is this:

* with the firmware located here (https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/master/common/binary/UARTldr/CY8C5868AXI-LP032.hex), the UD3 would boot, fibernet LED would be red. Right after boot, fibernet LED would go solid green
* after updating to (54449c1728419ab4e3e3023d3c90874c25ec97e1), fibernet LED would stay solid red

So, I'm at a loss. I don't do embedded systems, so I don't have much troubleshooting experience beyond the basics. Oh, and I killed my programmer over the weekend, so I need to wait for another devkit to show up

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
- Baudrate 460800 is correct for Fibernet.
- ivo_uart needs to be set to 0
- RX-TX is swapped in the revision you tested (I forget to change this back, the first fibernet revision had false pinout) I fixed it: 5e215fe77a72e46d5eb83f55406cefff23c0661f
- min_enable needs to be set at 1... Then saved with eeprom save... then restart with reset... The "garbage" are binary min frames. The 1s min reset is correct until a client is connected
- blink of the com light is good
- with min_enable = 1 the "garbage" is a "hello computer I'm a starting UD3" frame ;)
- Teslaterm with a serial cable should connect with "min" and baudrate 460800 and the correct COM port
- USB-CLI is exactly for that reason, if the serial parameters are fucked up to configure the UD3

* with the firmware located here (https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/master/common/binary/UARTldr/CY8C5868AXI-LP032.hex), the UD3 would boot, fibernet LED would be red. Right after boot, fibernet LED would go solid green

This is only a bootloader. I think I can compile you a actual complete binary and put it on the git release page today.

Oh, and I killed my programmer over the weekend, so I need to wait for another devkit to show up
If the bootloader is still on the board it can be recovered. I take a look if the bootloader pinout is correct. The binary is 13 months old, perhaps it is also from the pre fibernet time. But for updating the bootloader you need a programmer.

If you still have problems, I'm shure we can solve that over Zoom or Teams ;)

Edit (new binarys):
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/releases/tag/2.1.0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:41:34 PM by Netzpfuscher »

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal