Author Topic: Next Gen DRSSTC  (Read 80177 times)

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Next Gen DRSSTC
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
Didn't see this until today, but am happy I wasn't imagining things about the lead-time being broken when I tried it (about 18 months ago I think?)

Will report back results when I get a chance to try the latest version. Thanks for the efforts keeping this updated.

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My random (and very empty) electronics blog
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2020, 04:37:32 PM »
After continuously having issues with my own controller design for a while I decided to join the family and implemented the design into my controller:

It is 100% compatible with the existing version, but has the power supplies (24V,+-12V and 5V), fiber TX&RX and the LEDs on board, and because of this I gave it the c suffix (for compact). (even if it is 10cm larger in width and height :P)
The PCB ist sized to slide into a cheap extruded aluminium box like this one (the 110mm version):
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32802719197.html

I also moved the GDT driver to a daughter board, so it can be replaced with a digital isolator board for use with gate driver ICs.
Because of this the FAN power is now only 12V though, to keep the 24V (and when using gate drive ICs also mains) completely isolated from the control logic.

The design files (for altium) are here: https://github.com/TMaxElectronics/UD3c (un-tested at the moment)
If you have the time I'd appreciate any suggestions for improvements. The repo also has a PDF version of the schematic ;)

EDIT: i never ended up using this version, as I got a fully assembled UD3, incase anybody was wondering
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:03:49 PM by TMaxElectronics »

Offline Netzpfuscher

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
I added a few new software features and TMaxElectronics is working on a new fiber Ethernet interface:

Arbitrary QCW ramps:

Configurable telemetry during runtime:

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2020, 11:02:29 PM »
After a week of intensive development I finally got the fiber ethernet (FiberNet ;) ) addon working through teslaterm.
All it does for now is forward MIN frames between UD3 and the PC over UDP, but since it has an SD card slot there is the potential for more (like loading UD3 parameters from the card for example). That is still a work in progress though. It also supports DHCP and automatic network discovery (though the last one isn't in TT yet).
I've tested the adapter under the big SKM600 coil Netzpfuscher posted here a while back, and communications seem even a little more reliable than the serial over fiber connection that that coil uses, though further testing is required to see if it can actually perform that well in use.

Interestingly enough the finished module has a comparable component cost to ONE HFBR optical transmitter, so I would consider this to be a viable replacement for those (fibernet is ~20€ + 5€ for the SFP modules and 30€ for the media converter = 55€ as opposed to 4x17€ for the HFBR series). The module also fits onto the UD3 nicely:

I'm also currently working on a new coil using SKM400 bricks from Netzpfuscher, and since we all live close enough together there is a good chance that Netzpfuschers new coil, mine and the big one I mentioned earlier will be run next to each other if we can find the space at the HV lab :P Here's how my new bridge looks at the moment. Can't wait to try it out :D

Offline Intra

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »
I fixed some small bugs, and a big bug (lead time has no effect, I don't know since when, but the bug is very old):
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3

There are also new binarys:
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/tree/master/common/binary/UD3

And I added a little bit of documentation in the Readme.
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/master/README.md

And a small getting started:
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/wiki

Looks like lead time still have no effect. I flashed a TTerm branch from last of Nov 4, 2020 commit of UD3 rep. Teslaterm is from malte0811's Oct 25, 2020 last commit of electron-ts branch.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:50:32 PM by Intra »

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »
Oh, you discovered the TTerm branch ^^ You need to be warned it is under very heavy development. I'm implementing the terminal from Tmax fibernet project. The complete user interface needs to be ported. I think you discovered several bugs like the tr stop... ^^

Can you give me little more information of your setup? Which UD3 devkit or real?
Have you tuned the start oscillator?  It looks like your coil switches way to early.

As a hint a lead_time of 1000ns was sufficient for my SKM600 @ 53kHz.
Slow IGBTs can be in the order of 2000ns

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2020, 01:17:09 AM »
It's a little test-QCW. Driver is QFN-version. Transient mode I use to just try to set leadtime as usual. Sure, about 150nS maybe enough for TO-247 but with good softswitch switching losses significantly decrease.

Fsec is about 310kHz, Fpri is 250kHz but freq of starting oscillator set on 310kHz and I gave it 20 cycles.

My idea is to drive coil at upper pole while primary will be at lower pole so when energy transfers and Fsec drops coil can be more in resonance and can easier transfer more energy.

With tune prim command I got 33kHz Fres and that looks like another bug in circumstance of 250-311kHz distance because I put final geometry in JavaTC to check up before power on.

Primary CT is 1:22:22, Bridge on FGH60N60SMD, K15U 6.8nF 10kv MMC, almost half-donut primary, k=0.45, PEH200 6mF 450V bus cap.

A couple of photos attached.

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »
For the autotune: You need to set up the autotune range for your coil tune_start 190 tune_end 350. Please post the plot of Teslaterm here.

You need to set the resonance frequency very close in the start_freq. 310kHz vs. 250kHz is far away. Perhaps your secondary is not at 310kHz so it doesn't suck energy out of the primary. I have no deep knowledge in QCW and I have no small coil to test the QCW stuff.

A good start is a static load test with scrap metal in the primary. Set it all up and check if everything is working.

Perhaps tomorrow I can make measurements if everything is correct. But I haven't touched the essential code for this after I find the lead_time bug.

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2020, 03:38:52 AM »
I think I figured it out.

The problem was in bad solder connection between GDT and emitter of one of IGBT.

Found this solder problem only when check GDT outs separately and without connecting negative probe connector. One IGBT opens not at full voltage and become opens at full voltage only when I grab IGBT emitter's wire by negative probe connector instead of grabbing emitter-side TVS leg.

Never seen that problem on scope before, especially with that kind of driver. The ugly shots of collector-emitters attached.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:43:19 AM by Intra »

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2020, 03:40:48 AM »
The driver itself works a bit different than UD2.7 which I used before so rest half of evening I spent on mess with feedback.

In UD2.7, when you compensate the phases, your signals start slide to right or left and you see how it is going and where is the end of tuning.

In UD3 I not found that behavior and found that even you set a Fres right but lead time was not set right, your feedback will be dance and glitch and energy won't be well transfered in secondary. Or I am wrong and misunderstood what I saw. Anyway.

After setting lead time, which was 310nS, my scope helped me see that feedback determine my Fpri as 235kHz (not tune prim, it's still 33.6kHz and plot is just all empty), Fsec is 309kHz, and with Fres=235kHz transient mode started brilliantly even with 309kHz secondary. Tank current starts grow as usual and with 400uS on 27vdc on bus the terminal starts crackled a little. As my k~=0.45, I afraid to see what streamer I could got with 1.5:1 secondary even on 310vdc and besides, when Fres=Fpri with that far Fsec, so I moved to testing a phase-shift.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:44:18 AM by Intra »

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2020, 03:41:58 AM »
Phase-shift works equally with 235kHz, 309kHz, 320kHz and 350kHz of Fres. I left 320. If lead time not set correctly, phase-shift mode do a bad result of feedback too and when this result bad, current did not accumulated in RLC and did not grows.

0, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 20 start cycles do not make sifnificant changes between themselves.

Looks like it's time to move on 310vdc or give a try to figure out why Teslaterm not shows data from my Hall sensor. I so hope my plastic primary isolation and supports will not melted in first minute of full power.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:52:28 AM by Intra »

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
I have a question about hall sensor wiring.

I saw that you are using the sensor LEM LF 306-S if I identified it correctly on photo. I bought one LF 306-S to check DC current sensing and power showing features but I found that someting wrong because Teslaterm always shows 0 amps.

From https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3_PCB schematics R30 seems to be the sensor's measuring resistor, which marked in schematic as 470 ohm but in LF 306-S datasheet I found that with +\-12V sensor supply for measure range of +\-300A measuring resistor should be 37 ohm.

Will it help to change 470 ohm resistor to 37 ohm if I use LF 306-S with +\-12V supply? How much ohm for R30 do you use with yours LF 306-S?

Besides, I found ratio 1:2000 in LF 306-S datasheet but schematic's note says ratio should be 1:1000. If I change ct2_ratio to 2000 will it helps? Your Teslaterm's ct2_ratio is 2000 with your LF 306-S?

Thanks

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »
The current shunt on the input current monitor is R48, not R30. R30 is part of the low pass filter for signal conditioning.

R48 has a suggested value of 49.9ohms, but can be adjusted to match what is required by the sensor.
Having a wrong value here would only result in a wrong reading though, and not in the UD3 always showing zero current.

Have you measured the output current from it with a multimeter without connecting it to the driver to make sure it actually works?

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
The UD3 does the math for you. You simply give the ct2_ratio and ct2_burden. But you need to make sure that the voltage at the shunt is not higher than 5V  ;)

50 Ohm shunt is good. And your LEM has 1:2000. But your coil is not a multi kW coil ^^ You simply make more turns through the CT to reduce the ratio ;) But you need to set the ratio that the current spikes are in the measurement range so that the RMS calculation works. With a 50 Ohm and 1:1000 you can measure 100A.

If you see always zero, it can be possible that the voltage of the CT goes negative because the current flows in the wrong direction.

You can test the CT if you wind like 10 times through the core and give it 1A, then you should see 10A in Teslaterm.

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »
Thanks! The problem was in wrong wiring direction. Now current and power is ok.

Next problem I found is in EMI I suppose.

As driver communicates with PC via UART on top of USB and while bad input signal can't directly open IGBT for a long time with way that was in UD2.7, I decided to check up is any needs to do specially an opto communication instead of just USB cable and a couple of ferrite EMI chokes. And, driver seems to be get the EMI because Teslaterm shows lost connection message any time I trying to start qcw or transient mode.

I saw your commit about external interrupter. The record said is in WIP status. I did the test-circuit to check up can it works and maybe it still WIP or I just did something wrong but it isn't worked for me. I tried a part of Steve's External trig circuit from his origin schematic of UD3, and plug it in port which was marked as for external interrupter in PSoC Creator's UD3 project, and also I tries to set 1 or 2 in ext interrupter row in Teslaterm's settings, but pushing the button nothing done. Is ext.trig is still WIP?

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:45 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the way you connected the UD3 to the pc. Did you use UART over fiber, or the USB connector on the UD3 itself?

The ext. interrupter input was a quick addition so I can test the MidiSticks on my new coil, but neither Netzpfuscher nor me had time to test it so far, thats why its still WIP at the moment ;)

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2020, 01:31:30 AM »
Oh, it seems I understood this feature in wrong way. I took ext.interrupter input for trigger input. The driver have a trigger input like this? Something for qcw-gunning by button finger push.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:12:24 AM by Intra »

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2020, 01:42:05 AM »
The driver is connected to PC this way. It good when about 30V on bus and EMI is not so big but with 310V it crashing connection with Teslaterm even when watchdog is off and when connection is crashed then signal is stopped generating a ramp.

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2020, 09:51:04 AM »
No, the trigger input is gone and you cannot copy it from the old UD3 schematic. The complete QCW timing part is rewritten. But it's not a big deal to re implement it.

You need a isolation for the PC, it is essential. The USB on the UD3 was only intended for "offline" configuration.

Offline Intra

• View Profile
    • teslamusicband.com
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
After opto isolation was done I found that a programmer which I left plugged in inside a driver box was a reason to chip fells from EMI.

I got a two problems next.

First is a strikes in primary from toroid's edge what I suppose I can handle with some plexiglass isolation

Second is start cycles seems to be not enough to stable driving. 16 start cycles looks better than 8 and 8 better than 4. May I ask to increase max start cycles from 20 to 999999? I want to try drive a coil from start generator entirely.

Short video of 1mS test. primary strike is on 0:51

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:56:58 PM by Intra »

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal