Author Topic: IGBT failure in DRSSTC  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Felix Bieri

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
IGBT failure in DRSSTC
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] Greetings

I have a problem regarding my DRSSTC. My IGBT's die every time i power up my gate driver. As i have already burnet up 4 of my IGBT modules and the prize for this project now slightly climbs to a costs in which i can't really afford it with my students budget, I'm finally here to ask for help in this more then competent forum (thanks for all the answers i found in threads for my the project so far). I have currently dismantled my DRSSTC for redesign and upgrade purpose and some parts are still on the way from china so i can rebuild it.

The stats of the coil right now is:
Primary coil: 14.76uH
Primary cap: 200nF 6kV
Secondary coil: 116.84mH
Secondary cap: 31.62pF
Resonant Freq.: 65.49kHz

IGBT (SKM200GB128D): 1200V 300A continuous (1200A peak)
2 440V TVS over every IGBT
2 33V Zener over ervery IGBT gate
1 Snubber cap: 5uF 800V
Alu-Supercaps : 9mF 800V

Driver: UD2.7C from loneoceans
Supply Voltage: 565V (I can power it up with 325V aswell and i have tested everything with 24V before i went up to 565V.... maybe I should have waited at 325 first......)
My GDT consist of 24:24 winding around a ferrit.
(See attachments for pictures)

The improvements would be:
1x 20uF Snubber over each IGBT module
Redesign of the bridge for maintainability purpose
Primary cap: 400nF 12kV

Also, is there a way to calculate my primary peak current? For many calculations the current is needed and some calculations i have found don't make sense to me. Do i just assume a current and implement my OCD for a bit less than my IGBT can switch (1200A peak)? This doesn't seem appropriate and i would like to have propper numbers before i burn some more IGBT's  :o.

I'm very grateful for any suggestions regarding my Problem.
Greetings
Metric system ftw :)

Offline Teravolt

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
Re: IGBT failure in DRSSTC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »
what is your gate drive waveform look like?
how much drive voltage is at the gate?
is your gate drive waveform messy or wierd or clean?
do you have enough dead time?
what does the wave form at the tesla look like?

I think you may have shoot through or the gates are being damage or your feedback is bad in some way. before you power every thing up check all of your semiconductors including your bridge recifire and drive electonics. after a failure things can be weakend or damaged. make shure that the bridge changes state at the same time that the tesla is oscilating so your zero cross is correct and there is no phasing problems. if that happened your igbt diode may be comutating or you have hard switching going on.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi Felix and welcome to HVF :)

I think you have a sound design here and there is no obvious faults jumping right at me, so I would start looking at the driver/GDT and see how they are driving the IGBTs. SKM200 does not just die like that, but if you start out on full DC bus voltage, you will never know if something is wrong before it just goes bang.

Do they die silently or with a bang?

You need to test with a lower voltage on the DC bus and observe the current use, if it rises dramatically above the forward voltage, you most likely have a short circuit of the IGBTs directly across the DC bus. Either due to driving them at wrong phasing, bridge construction fault or some failed part.

Remember to change everything after the GDT when you have had a IGBT failure! Gate resistors, TVS and diodes might look fine, but could be shorted or damaged! Solder it apart and check each component on its own.

Here is a good resource for trouble shooting the GDT waveform: http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/temp/gdt/gdt2.html
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Felix Bieri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »
Thanks a lot for the fast reply. And I'm glad I haven't really designed something completely wrong. If I remember correctly I had steep switching edges and no ringing. But I may have had overshots at my GDT... I can't recall caus my memory stick with the pictures on it is lost in space  :'( and as of now i can't test it again because my Driver broke too from a broken Power Supply.... I really need my stuff to get fixed....  ::) :o
To Mads question. Yes they die with a big bang :)
Anyway thanks a lot. Now i have some clues of what to look at when I'm off testing it again once it's rebuilded.

I'll be updating this thread then as soon as I have new data or questions. If anyone has further suggestions I'd gladly hear them.
Thanks a lot again!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:32:12 PM by Felix Bieri »

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
As Mads said, there isn't anything obviously wrong, so more info would help. Photos/diagrams, scope screenshots of gate drive etc.

Remember that you can hook up a coil to a bench supply (or a few small supplies in series) for testing at say ~50-100V - even if they would current limit if run continuously you'll still be able to capture the current/voltage waveforms from the bridge for a single pulse. If that is successful then I'd try and ramp it up slowly from there - if you don't have a variac even stopping at rectified mains (rather than doubled mains) would be better than going all the way in one jump.

Offline Felix Bieri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
My snubbers (DHA1200K20#) have finally arrived: http://www.dawn-cap.cn/upload/201609/DAWNCAP-DHA%202015.pdf

I have yet to receive all my other parts tho. So here a fiew questions first for further planning.
Im gonna replace my primary capacitors with DTR6000K0.40-*-# also from dawncap: http://www.dawn-cap.cn/upload/201806/DAWNCAP-DTR%202015.pdf
As stated in the datasheet the Ipeak these capacitors can bear is 1400A, which is confirmed when i calculate the Ipeak with: Ipeak = C * dV/dT. As stated on Mads site: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/theory/good-mmc-capacitors/. So i am not allowed, for the sake of my dear capacitors, to go with my OCD over this value of 1400A? Is this correct? Or is the OCD limited with the peak current value of the IGBT aka. 1200A? I'm kind of confused at what level I should set my OCD so i can prevent too strong Currents. :o

Edit: My confusion is probably caused because I've seen some people talk about 2000A peak currents in the primary with CM600DU-24FA IGBT. In the datasheet the Ipeak is set to 1200A tho..... how can they have so high peak currents without breaking the IGBT?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:45:07 PM by Felix Bieri »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
I am looking forward to hear about your results and experiences with the Dawncaps, I have also looked at them before and on paper they do look good to the price, but I never tried them.

Maximum peak current all comes down to dissipated heat, so with more cooling, larger thermal mass and such we can overload the components but at the cost of their expected life time. To calculate the maximum possible switching speeds and currents for a IGBT, check out my guide on that. It is simply a matter of soft switching being less stressful on the IGBTs and that we aim for a certain die temperature rise per pulse: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/igbts/

So if you push higher peak currents through something, it just means higher temperature and if you keep adding that up, it usually ends with fire ;) 
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Felix Bieri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »
@Mads: Im quite sure i found an error on your page. Chapter "Thermal impedance": You compare the Thermal impedance of 300BPS with a dutycycle of around 0.06 with the thermal impedance of the 0.5 Dutycylce given in the datasheet. You get a factor 2.66 which is wrong i think. 0.17K/W / 0.015K/W (@ D=0.06 from shematic) is around factor 11.33 lower not 2.66. I think you compared Thermal impedance of the 0.5 dutycycle with the dutycycle of 300BPS directly.

Also i have finished repairing my Driver, GDT and Interrupter (I currently use an interrupter module to convert MIDI from a Keayboard with maxFreq = 554.37Hz, a Cis5)

I tuned the Interrupter to always have a Dutycycle of 10% at the maxFreq. So for this frequency it would be around 200us. The feedback of 65kHz was simulated with an oszillator. Images of the tests and results are attached. Are these values plausible? (Its an ancient oszilloscope... pls have mercy about the quality  ;D)

I just need my primary caps now so i can rebuild the rest of my coil and test it further.

Greetings

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
Thanks for catching that error Felix! I corrected the page and added a little more text to make it less confusing.

Your oscilloscope shots looks fine and corresponds to your design criteria, 10% duty cycle is a good maximum for MIDI, just watch the temperature if you have many long notes

Offline Felix Bieri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »
Hello again

I've been busy over the holidays and still am because of exams :S. But still I managed to finish constructing my DRSSTC for now. I managed to test some parts as well. As of now I've verified that the DC Voltage works perfectly fine (for testing purpose I drive with a onephase variac with 50VAC). My driver works together with my interrupter just fine. Also my switching of the resistors works as intended -> I switch a resistor in series for loading the supercaps at the beginning to limit current, after 40sec i shortcircuit the resistor. Because I want to drive the coil at 400V in the end and no threephase variac available this is my solution.

The issue i face now is my IGBT's are now not really switching and my driver doesn't really "start" to output signals. I probably did not fine tune my driver correctly for the now added inductance of the 15:15 transformer for the gate driver. Maybe I have to delay more tests forther caus of exams but never the less here some pictures of the coil as of now.

Greetings ;D

Offline Felix Bieri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:19 PM »
Hello again guys. I'm back from the dead :)

I've finished my studies and finally found time again to work on my coil.

I think the error in my Design is my not so correct usage of the UD2.7C and the switching of my IGBT's.

I can calculate the maximum current through my Primary when I know what Voltage there is across my MMC. I load my MMC every half-cycle of my resonant frequency. First with 565V, then 1130 etc. So to reach my max MMC Voltage of about 12kV I can load it for about 9 half-cycles. Ummc = 565V+8*1130V = 9605V
1130V caus I switch from +565V to -565V and then back again after the first half-cycle, 9half-cycles caus 8+1, not more half-cycles caus of safety for my MMC 0.9*Ummc=Ummc_Max=10.8kV
The current in my primary is then I = U/XL = 10.8kV/(2*pi*f*L) = 1232A, with an Inductance of about 14.69uH, f of 95kHz and total on-time of 9*5us=45us.

As I see it this is the limit my circuit can handle, so I have to reduce the on-time to prevent failure. Don't I get waaaay to much on-time with MIDI frequencies from 30Hz to 550Hz? Even when I only use 10% duty-cycle?
Also, my IGBT can only handle 1200V Uce. These are safe tho caus of the integrated diode and the double 440V (880V) diodes across each IGBT?

I have not tested my UD2.7C yet, but as I haven't touched it since last time I assume it's still working. With this primary current I would need around an 1:1000 current transformer to limit my current to 1000A (1A is needed on the UD2.7C board for both, feedback and OCD). If my current would be limited, the on-time would be reduced but I would never get near the correct audio frequencies that I would want.

I think I've got something terribly wrong and/or have not understood something about the switching process with Audio-Midi as Input.

Greetings

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:19 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal