Author Topic: Solid State “rheostat” that will withstand high electrostatic fields  (Read 2555 times)

Offline abstruse1

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
I’ve been using large and expensive rheostats to vary the voltage to my flyback driver.  I have about run out of capacity and I’m starting to cook these things. I expect there is a solid state way to do this.

My previous experience with solid state devices around hundreds of kilovolts hasn’t been good. I assume the electrostatic field messes up the solid-state components.

The maximum voltage input will be 72 V DC and the maximum current draw will be around 60 Amps.

What kind of the devices do I need to accomplish this?

Thanx, guys!
Abstruse1
   Been working with electricity for 60 years and still getting a tingle!

Offline Mike

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
Re: Solid State “rheostat” that will withstand high electrostatic fields
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 04:42:56 AM »
A buck converter is the simplest solid state solution I can think of, though if you're needing 72V at 60A it's certainly not a small undertaking to design and build one, anything off the shelf will be very expensive at theses power levels. If interested is start by looking at what the QCW guys have built, some of these might manage for a while at least and will provide an estimate for what you're in for of you go that route.

Another option might be a phase controlled power supply (glorified lamp dimmer) on the output of a suitably sized linear transformer but the capacitor requirements are a little eye watering.

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 02:01:16 PM »
It just occurred to me that maybe one could strobe the DC output from my batteries (input to the driver) like one dims an LED by strobing.

Or I could just buy two or more rheostats and run them in parallel.
Abstruse1

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »
Instead of rheostats you may want to consider using a large variac followed by a full-wave bridge rectifier if you use wall power instead of batteries. The large 120 volt variacs are rated for continuous duty of about 50 amps. The 240 volt variacs are rated for 25 to 30 amps continuous duty. You can run them at 2 or 3 times that for short durations. A variac will be much more efficient than a rheostat.
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Retired electrical engineer

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 06:38:20 PM »
Is a 22 amp 120v variac capable of 44 amps at 60v output?
Abstruse1

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:41:01 PM »
And do I need to do anything to prevent HV spikes from going to the mains ?
Abstruse1

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
Using the Superior Electric 1156D Powerstat as an example, its rated for 50 amps from 0 to 120 volts. It can be operated at twice that current for short periods. Superior Electric has derating curves for over-current applications. Its basically limited by heating.

As far as voltage spikes are concerned it depends on your application. If its a CW voltage multiplier then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've been using a SMPS to power my CW voltage multiplier with no problems. However, if its a Marx generator, then I would definitely use batteries. A Marx generator can make short work of an electronic power supply. For some peace of mind you could attach a suitably-rated varistor to the DC power supply output.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 08:55:38 PM by MRMILSTAR »
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 09:14:56 PM »
I’m on it, Steve, thanx.
Abstruse1

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »
However, if its a Marx generator, then I would definitely use batteries. A Marx generator can make short work of an electronic power supply
My Marx generator is powered by a home-built SMPS, and uses two small commercial SMPS for 18V (control electronics) and 12V (fans).  No issues with SMPS.  However, it tripped building fire alarms both years I demonstrated it at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  Not from actual fire, rather due to fields coupling to alarm wiring somewhere above 14' ceiling.  (Did have one tiny fire when insulation failed in my +-22kV input supply, but that was after alarms were disabled to allow demonstrations to continue.)
David Knierim

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 09:19:55 PM »
The bigger problem may be getting sufficient power from a 120 volt outlet. You mentioned 44 amps at 60 volts. That is about 2600 watts. I doubt if you can get that much out of a 120 volt circuit without tripping the circuit breaker. If you have 2 independent 120 volt circuits on separate circuit breakers you can parallel them for twice the current. Typical home 120 volt circuits in the USA are rated for 20 amps so even connecting 2 in parallel would be marginal.

You could also consider 240 volt power. That would require a 240 volt variac. They are typically rated for around 28 amps at 0 to 240 volts. You could operate one at 60 amps for short periods. The derating curve will tell you the safe run-time for over-current. You also have the even more expensive option of 2 variacs in parallel.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 09:46:35 PM by MRMILSTAR »
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 09:27:42 PM »
However, if its a Marx generator, then I would definitely use batteries. A Marx generator can make short work of an electronic power supply
My Marx generator is powered by a home-built SMPS, and uses two small commercial SMPS for 18V (control electronics) and 12V (fans).  No issues with SMPS.  However, it tripped building fire alarms both years I demonstrated it at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  Not from actual fire, rather due to fields coupling to alarm wiring somewhere above 14' ceiling.  (Did have one tiny fire when insulation failed in my +-22kV input supply, but that was after alarms were disabled to allow demonstrations to continue.)

Good to hear Dave. I'm glad you got your Marx working with a SMPS. I've seen your video of it in operation and its quite impressive. I blew one SMPS out and have read of a few others that have done likewise. After that I got paranoid about it and just went to batteries. Batteries also ensure that there is no physical connection from the Marx generator to the house wiring. As you mentioned the EM pulse from my Marx generator sometimes causes nearby electronic devices to do strange things.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 09:30:46 PM by MRMILSTAR »
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 03:00:29 AM »
My shop has 240 VAC power (single and three phase) for welders and machines, so I could use a 240 variac.

But here's another maybe goofy idea. Let's say I know I want to run somewhere between 48 and 60 VDC. Could I wire 4x12v batteries in series and then take a 5th battery in series with a rheostat, and put that output in series with the 48 v. battery pack?  If so, would that mean that I could get by with a lower amperage rheostat since it'd be regulating only the output from a single battery?
Abstruse1

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 05:28:34 AM »
Any use of a variable resistor (rheostat) is going to waste power. I especially wouldn't want to do it with batteries because it just dumps the excess voltage as heat. Why not consider some switches that can be used to select 12, 24, 36, 48, or 60 volts? I have done that sort of thing. It doesn't waste any power. Do you really need any finer adjustment than that?
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Offline abstruse1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »
Steve, that’s essentially what I have now. I can choose the output of one or all of my batteries in series and then the rheostat simply fine tunes the total.

I’ve been asking myself why I think I need a precise output. My rheostat is 10 ohms and I select the starting point by plugging into the battery point I want to start with, e.g. 36, 48, 60 or 72 vdc, then turning the rheostat down (lower resistance) until either I get a desired arc or something croaks elsewhere. I always turn The voltage off by cranking back on the rheostat so that the semiconductors don’t experience such a drastic turn off. A long time ago, This seemed to have helped prevent mosfet blowouts.

I’ve also thought about using lower voltage batteries in series, e.g. 6V or even lower, to give me finer adjustment.

I need to think about what’s really going on here. Maybe I’m doing something that is no longer necessary.

Stay tuned.
Abstruse1

Offline AkashaStar

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 02:25:42 AM »
Hi there,

I had a couple of thoughts on reading through your post. I hear what you say about how you traditionally used the rheostat in a way which suggested it was protecting the MOSFETs in your circuit.  That's a kind of voltage regulator, if you like.

I do have my doubts about the efficacy of that, although this is obviously what your senses have told you.  The reason is that the 'slew rate' when you operate a rheostat like that is going to be very slow indeed.   It will take you a good fraction of a second to turn down a small device and longer to turn down a larger one.  With the numbers you're showing here, I'm guessing the one that you're frying is a hella big beast!

The time during which your MOSFETS are switching off is let's approximate to a couple of  hundreds of nanoseconds.  That's an infinitesimally tiny amount of time compared to your manual intervention. In circuits where these sorts of big silicon 'switches' mustn't switch off under full load, precautions are taken in the design, but not in the way you describe.  It simply wouldn't work fast enough and there are much better ways.

It doesn't matter if you use a physical resistor or a semiconductor to drop volts from a power supply.  They will both heat up to do the job. Think of old linear power supplies of the past, which had banks and banks of transistors on giant heatsinks acting as a nice radiator in the workshop.

Here's a thought experiment. Say you got a household kettle, rated for 3,000W output.   If you used that in series with your circuit and a voltage source of 70V , it would pass a current of close to 43A.  That's with its resistance being very similar to that of your rheostat at a lower setting (1.633R)  No wonder your rheostat is getting a bit hot under the collar! There's nothing to soak up all that heat fast enough & no pour of coffee at the end of it, either.

If the power supply is very stiff, like a car battery, and capable of supplying many tens of A continuously and thousands of A in a short circuit, then components can get hot very quickly, or, as you've found, go up in smoke.

I do wonder whether your flyback driver actually has an output of 4.2kW, from the numbers in your description? That's a giant amount of power.  Is it possible that you are basing your ratings on peak current (pulsed) rather than average?

For example, it's common to run devices at duty cycles down to 5% if there are limitations that require it.  I'd be curious to know more about how you're using the flyback driver and what the visible or measurable effects are that you're after?

In terms of withstanding 'electrostatic fields', it's more that a circuit would have to be badly designed for that to be an issue.

Hope to hear how you're getting on  :)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 02:59:09 PM by AkashaStar »
Akasha

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 02:25:42 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: DIY induction guns? (warning:long)
[Induction Launchers, Coil Guns and Rails guns]
Benbmw
Today at 06:17:15 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Michelle_
Today at 05:46:07 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
MRMILSTAR
Today at 05:18:31 AM
post Re: IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
davekni
Today at 04:34:52 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
klugesmith
Today at 04:11:53 AM
Michelle_
Today at 04:02:44 AM
post Re: 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
davekni
Today at 03:35:52 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
MRMILSTAR
April 17, 2024, 11:54:05 PM
post 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
Benjamin Lockhart
April 17, 2024, 11:37:16 PM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 17, 2024, 02:29:30 AM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
klugesmith
April 16, 2024, 11:46:57 PM
Bobakman
April 16, 2024, 10:40:11 PM
post Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 09:21:39 PM
post Re: Medium Drsstc question
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 08:04:16 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC SKM100
Benjamin Lockhart
April 16, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
post Re: Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:18:40 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:14:53 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 05:44:44 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 03:12:12 PM
post Re: Drsstc voltage spike question
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 02:28:01 PM
Saattvik24
April 16, 2024, 01:56:26 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:50:47 AM
Anders Mikkelsen
April 16, 2024, 04:57:47 AM
ethanwu0131
April 16, 2024, 03:40:53 AM
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 01:31:17 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:19:52 PM
post 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:10:19 PM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 15, 2024, 11:04:19 PM
post Re: Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
Twospoons
April 15, 2024, 11:02:05 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:57:59 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:55:46 PM
post Re: Return of Electronics Flea Market in "Silicon Valley"
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 10:37:32 PM
Saattvik24
April 15, 2024, 10:05:00 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 15, 2024, 09:28:50 PM
post Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 09:06:42 PM
Mads Barnkob
April 15, 2024, 08:46:32 PM
[General Chat]
Benbmw
April 15, 2024, 08:38:39 PM
[General Chat]
sky-guided
April 15, 2024, 08:23:40 PM
post How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
Bobakman
April 15, 2024, 06:43:23 PM
flyingperson23
April 15, 2024, 06:29:10 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:21:53 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:15:33 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 04:07:54 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 03:49:03 AM
alan sailer
April 14, 2024, 09:46:30 PM
post Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
Michelle_
April 14, 2024, 07:31:00 PM
Saattvik24
April 14, 2024, 02:26:19 PM
post Re: mg75q2ys40 IGBT
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:20:54 AM
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:18:20 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 06:46:40 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 04:18:42 AM
post Re: Upper and Lower Explosive Limits on Confined Flammable Vapors at -79 C.
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:24:20 AM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:20:46 AM
post Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 03:13:22 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
lbattraw
April 12, 2024, 09:14:58 PM
post mg75q2ys40 IGBT
thedark
April 12, 2024, 08:40:18 PM
post Re: UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:20:30 PM
post Re: Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:12:43 PM
post IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
ethanwu0131
April 12, 2024, 04:47:33 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 12, 2024, 11:43:36 AM
post Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
Egg
April 12, 2024, 12:49:02 AM
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:41:16 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:22:41 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 10:45:53 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 07:39:30 PM
flyingperson23
April 11, 2024, 07:24:52 PM
post Re: Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 06:09:30 PM
post UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 12:55:16 PM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 03:40:00 AM
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 03:05:07 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 02:57:33 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 01:44:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 01:31:40 AM
OmGigaTron
April 11, 2024, 01:11:00 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:58:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 12:31:37 AM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:30:21 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 10, 2024, 11:41:46 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
April 10, 2024, 11:33:32 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 10:41:33 PM
[Beginners]
MRMILSTAR
April 10, 2024, 10:31:31 PM
post Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 09:56:35 PM
unrealcrafter2
April 10, 2024, 08:59:26 PM
markus
April 10, 2024, 06:35:30 PM
flyingperson23
April 10, 2024, 05:35:14 PM
post Medium Drsstc question
unrealcrafter2
April 10, 2024, 03:07:02 PM
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 03:42:12 AM
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 03:41:04 AM
sky-guided
April 10, 2024, 02:50:23 AM
post Re: DRSSTC V1 using BSM1500
Unrealeous
April 10, 2024, 01:32:17 AM
OmGigaTron
April 10, 2024, 01:26:29 AM
OmGigaTron
April 10, 2024, 01:18:35 AM
post Re: Big Coil Big Sparks
Mads Barnkob
April 09, 2024, 07:34:19 PM
flyingperson23
April 09, 2024, 06:14:27 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
April 09, 2024, 06:08:53 PM
markus
April 09, 2024, 05:15:19 PM
Michelle_
April 09, 2024, 05:11:04 PM
post Re: Big Coil Big Sparks
Benjamin Lockhart
April 09, 2024, 06:32:16 AM
post DRSSTC V1 using BSM150
Unrealeous
April 09, 2024, 04:04:47 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal