Author Topic: Tesla Synth Player for Syntherrupter  (Read 2606 times)

Offline AntoineRcbs

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Tesla Synth Player for Syntherrupter
« on: May 18, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

We have been using the Synterrupter for the past months in our student club with our 3 Tesla Coils and I first want to thank you deeply for your amazing work !

I wanted to share a tool that I have been working on last month in order to help us during our Tesla Coil shows: a web Midi Player specificaly designed for operating the Synterrupter.

Indeed, we wanted to have a centralized platform to host our MIDI/configs and were not confident in embedding binary SYSEX commands directly in the files. Futhermore, most of the available MIDI players/editors were overly complicated for our usages (we just want to play MIDI/playlist smoothly and to perform automatic configuration of the Synterrupter for each song.) Finally, in order to have this setup work on any person device, we wanted to have as less setup required as possible.

So I came up with the idea of developping a web app  tailor made for our specific MIDI/syntherrupter needs (we host an instance for our club behind an auth provider).

I detailed the features and embedded some screenshots in this public github repository: https://github.com/antoinercbs/tesla-synth-web-player

A release is obviously available on this github if you want to test it ;)

If some of you are interested in this tool, my goal is to make it as available as possible for the community  ;) (I think it's the bare minimum given all the open-source ressources developped by the community we used...)

Tanks again for your amazing work !
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 04:58:21 PM by AntoineRcbs »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Re: Tesla Synth Player for Syntherrupter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 08:12:47 PM »
Hi Antoine and welcome to HVF!

Thank you so much for sharing this tool! It is exactly what I need for my show controller build :)

Once I get it installed and try it out, I will make a video about it on my youtube channel.

There seems to be an error in one of the explanations on the frontpage, binary code does not match your numbers: "In this example, we have a setup of 3 Tesla coils, the coil 0 and 1 are playing the channel 1 (binary value of 0000 0000 000 0010 = 1) and the coil 2 is playing the channel 0 (binary value of 0000 0000 000 0001 = 1) of the provided MIDI file."
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline AntoineRcbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 05:27:21 PM »
Hi Mads !

Thanks for your feedback and for raising this (now solved) small error :)

Since my first message I have performed some adjustments to the repo and to the releases. (https://github.com/antoinercbs/tesla-synth-web-player/releases)

There is now an Electron app (a framework which allows to make a desktop app from a web app, used by VSCode or Discord) distribution and a docker distribution. This way it would be more easy to deploy this app either on a single computer (standalone app) or on a server (dockerized env with proper DNS config)

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
  • "With the first link, the chain is forged. [...]"
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 08:37:11 PM »
Hello Antoine,

That looks great; thank you for sharing it! It also immediately reminded me of some todos for Syfoh to make it more suitable to be integrated into other programs like yours...
I'll take a better look as soon as I have some more time. In any case I'd love to see this tool evolve!

Btw if you got any videos of your 3 coil setup I'd really like to see some; sounds like you got some nice setups ;)

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »
I just tried to download the win32 exe package and it all starts up just fine. There is however a firewall warning about backend.exe, which I did NOT allow before asking you about it. This is properly why the player is not working? I can not edit a MIDI file either. So this means that the standalone computer needs internet access for the app to work?

I could load a MIDI, save it, make a playlist, add Synthrupter commands, see a midi USB device, but not play anything.

Here is just a few spelling error corrections and also where some are not yet translated :)

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline AntoineRcbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 06:31:19 PM »
Hi Mads,

Thanks for the typos, I will correct that.

backend.exe is a web HTTP server, it does not need any internet connection. Therefore you can safely deny the access.

You are right, the standalone version do not work properly and for some unknown reasons I did not detected that during the developpement and preproduction tests.

To explain shortly how the app works, it consists of a Flask/Python server (backend.exe, managing the file, the database and serving the app files) and of a web app.

On the local or docker version, you just have to run this backend code and connect to the app (served by the backend) using your navigator.

The standalone app, however, uses Electron. This is basicaly a chromium navigator running the web app and launching the server as a background task. It's really not optimized but allows to have a single code basis for Desktop/web (VSCode, Discord, Slack and many other are running on electron)

The problem you have is due to the fact that, when compiled to a .exe, in some configurations, the server (backend.exe) does not seem to find the uploads folder and fail to serve the midi files to the app.

It is a small bug but blocking and I will investigate that tomorrow.

In the meantime there is no issues with the two other releases (I suggest the local python release, as it is the easiest to use)

Sorry for the inconvinience.

@Max Thanks for your feedback :) I do not have a video of the 3 coils playing togheter yet. Our first show with the 3 coils as an orchestra was planned this evenning but mother nature decided otherwise and displays its own lightnings , haha. But I will record one of our test sessions in the following weeks :)

Offline AntoineRcbs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 10:57:36 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I updated the win32 version. It should now work properly (except the "save to server" button from the signal midi editor, which I consider to be a minor feature)

However, I still suggest to use the two other release (python or docker)

Best,

Antoine
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:30:09 PM by AntoineRcbs »

Offline AntoineRcbs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I will work on a "cloud" version of this app in the following weeks. in this version, each user will have an account. I think this will be the easiest solution for everyone (no installation required for you and a single code base to maintain for me).
Of course, an "on-premise" installation of the app will still be possible.

To avoid issues regarding copyright and hosting, I plan to host the database but not the midifiles. For theses midi files, I think I will ask the users to provide an access to a Google drive folder containing the files.

What do you think of this evolution ? Do you have a request for features/improvements ?

Best,

Antoine

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
  • "With the first link, the chain is forged. [...]"
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 03:46:04 PM »
Honestly I'm not a fan of that idea. I mean, what's the advantage over the standalone, offline version for a normal user? There he can have his MIDIs directly integrated, isn't dependent on anything outside the PC and has the most reliable connection possible between the different components.

It also seems kinda weird to be forced to upload my MIDIs to a google cloud server, for your server to go take them from there, to send them back to my PC to play them locally where they've been from the beginning?

The only sort of person (IMO) that would have a benefit from this is someone who has actually multiple computers that are used to work with similar tesla coils such that it would be a benefit to share the configurations. If this person was happen to be unfamiliar with setting up a server (likely the case; it's not a common skill amongst DRSSTC users I think), then it might actually make sense to have an external server keeping stuff in sync.
I'm not sure such a use case exists and even if, I'm still not sold on the google cloud thing...

In any case, I for sure don't speak for every user. Hope others join the discussion!

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »
A cloud solution is really only an advantage when its a full cloud solution. The obvious issues with copyright pretty much ruins the idea of a huge shared MIDI archive (with coil settings for different coil sizes). Maybe it could be overcome with CRC checks on MIDI files, to determine if its the same files? So instead of a google drive account, it should just refer to a local list of files in a locally selected folder. Look for the same filename and CRC check?

Personally I prefer offline solutions. There are just times with bad connectivity, router needing a reset, being at a festival with thousands of guest and cell service is very slow or not responding. I added analog interrupters to my show controller just for the case that the syntherrupter stops working or my laptop is dropped and I got nothing to play MIDI from.

Being noisy, Tesla coils are not always operated in areas with good connectivity. Just ask Kizmo when doing shows out in the middle of the Finnish forest :)

I prefer the local installed application, but love the idea of a shared MIDI/configuration database to share among us.

Offline AntoineRcbs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 12:13:47 PM »
Hello there !

Been quite a while, sorry for disappearing ^_^'

The only sort of person (IMO) that would have a benefit from this is someone who has actually multiple computers that are used to work with similar tesla coils such that it would be a benefit to share the configurations. If this person was happen to be unfamiliar with setting up a server (likely the case; it's not a common skill amongst DRSSTC users I think), then it might actually make sense to have an external server keeping stuff in sync.
I'm not sure such a use case exists and even if, I'm still not sold on the google cloud thing...
In fact, that's exactly one of the main motivation of this app. It was designed for a student club (many operators of the same coils, huge turnover). We host a shared instance on our club server. For us the connectivity constrains are largely balanced by the collaboration capabilities and by the fact that no setup is needed on the computers.
 When I spoke of cloud, I was thinking of a self-hosted server, not Azure/AWS/Google obviously. But I'm indeed not a big fan of making a (not-self) hosted version of this, because of the several issues you raised.

This raise an intresting issue: the app architecture is designed for our specific needs and is not optimal for the "standard" coiler who would prefer a standalone desktop app. I made an attempt on the repo of such an app (with Electron) but the fact that the backend part is written in python makes a very wierd and dirty app.
That's why I think I will not maintain this "Electron app" version. The app will only be released as a python script for the next versions (that launch and open automaticaly the default navigator in order to display the UI). Thus, you will be remain able to use it as you want (host a shared instance like us or juste use it on your computer on localhost) and we will avoid the "works on my machine" issues  ;)

After 2 years of intensive usage, we have some improvements in mind, here are several ideas :
  • Obviously a better integration of syfoh with a subrepo dependency and direct call to the functions of the syfoh scripts instead of CLI invocation
  • The commands to set onTimes/duties/channel mapping are always used for the song. The syfoh "text" syntax is not the best from an UX point  of view. We will change the song configuration UI to have sliders for the ontimes/duties and buttons to select the channels for each coil instead of text commands
  • We will introduce a parameter for enabling/disabling coils to match the coil count of your sytherrupter (1-6) in the UI
  • The songs will now have a parameter to configure the number of coils they are configured for. This will flag will allow to sort/filter the songs in the list.
  • A parameter will allow to disable the 2nd MIDI output, to simplify the UI for the users that don't need it
  • We will add two sliders to the player in order to live change the duties/ontimes by a factor of 0% to 200% of the ones configured for the song: an equivalent of a "volume slider" ^_^

Do you have some wishes for the next releases  (enveloppe editor UI, etc) ? :)

We are very looking forward to share the next version to you, thanks again for your amazing work and for your help on this project ! :)

Best regards,
Antoine
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 11:12:04 AM by AntoineRcbs »

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 12:13:47 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: UD+ debugging (randomly skipping pulses)
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
davekni
Today at 04:12:52 AM
AstRii
Today at 03:22:21 AM
post Re: Success!!!
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
MRMILSTAR
June 15, 2024, 09:03:06 PM
post Success!!!
Terry
June 15, 2024, 08:29:43 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC3
Benjamin Lockhart
June 15, 2024, 05:38:36 AM
Jj
June 15, 2024, 03:09:41 AM
post Re: Are TVS diodes necessary for full bridge?
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Simranjit
June 15, 2024, 01:53:07 AM
davekni
June 15, 2024, 01:07:30 AM
AstRii
June 15, 2024, 12:45:22 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 10:41:03 PM
post UD+ debugging (randomly skipping pulses)
AstRii
June 14, 2024, 10:20:00 PM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 09:47:48 PM
post Fronius IG Plus 2LT-2 6kW Solar Inverter Teardown
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
June 14, 2024, 09:40:33 PM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 07:44:12 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 05:21:55 AM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 03:24:43 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 03:13:44 AM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 02:27:06 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 01:56:58 AM
post Are TVS diodes necessary for full bridge?
Simranjit
June 13, 2024, 11:21:46 PM
post Re: Bigger sparks?...
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
Teslaventje
June 13, 2024, 08:50:56 PM
post Re: Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
Mads Barnkob
June 13, 2024, 07:43:37 PM
post Re: Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
petespaco
June 13, 2024, 04:52:08 PM
post Re: Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
Simranjit
June 13, 2024, 02:14:17 AM
post Re: Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
flyingperson23
June 12, 2024, 11:04:57 PM
post Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
Simranjit
June 12, 2024, 10:23:08 PM
post Re: UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 12, 2024, 08:41:06 PM
post Re: UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
flyingperson23
June 12, 2024, 07:53:31 PM
post Re: Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
haversin
June 12, 2024, 06:57:13 PM
post UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 12, 2024, 06:54:49 PM
post Re: Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
Mads Barnkob
June 12, 2024, 03:47:28 PM
post Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
vK
June 12, 2024, 03:42:18 AM
davekni
June 12, 2024, 03:32:22 AM
Teslaventje
June 11, 2024, 11:05:49 PM
MRMILSTAR
June 11, 2024, 05:36:46 AM
post Re: Sling Psychrometer
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
Twospoons
June 11, 2024, 12:29:31 AM
post Bigger sparks?...
Teslaventje
June 10, 2024, 11:05:55 PM
post Re: Syntherrupter - A Feature-rich, Polyphonic Interrupter
[Computers, Microcontrollers, Programmable Logic, Interfaces and Displays]
Max
June 10, 2024, 10:57:51 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 10, 2024, 08:08:04 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
Hi-Deff
June 10, 2024, 06:04:09 PM
post Sling Psychrometer
klugesmith
June 10, 2024, 04:43:59 PM
flyingperson23
June 10, 2024, 03:35:28 PM
Jj
June 10, 2024, 01:36:41 PM
post Re: Is a 60UF 800VDC Dawncap good for an induction heater?
[General Chat]
Anders Mikkelsen
June 09, 2024, 05:44:29 PM
post Is a 60UF 800VDC Dawncap good for an induction heater?
[General Chat]
yourboi
June 09, 2024, 03:31:30 PM
NyaaX_X
June 09, 2024, 01:34:49 PM
post Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 09, 2024, 01:56:51 AM
post Re: Return of Electronics Flea Market in "Silicon Valley"
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
klugesmith
June 08, 2024, 06:06:25 AM
post Re: Coulometric hourmeters
klugesmith
June 08, 2024, 05:38:14 AM
post Interrupter for SSTC
[Beginners]
Simranjit
June 08, 2024, 12:47:47 AM
post Re: Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
Michelle_
June 07, 2024, 03:59:57 PM
post Re: Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
davekni
June 07, 2024, 06:42:26 AM
post Re: Space-X Starship test this week
[Science, Research and News In Other Fields Than Electronics]
MRMILSTAR
June 07, 2024, 05:08:00 AM
post Re: Half bridge sstc different waveform on two mosfets
davekni
June 07, 2024, 03:16:31 AM
post Re: Space-X Starship test this week
[Science, Research and News In Other Fields Than Electronics]
klugesmith
June 06, 2024, 11:37:20 PM
post Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
Simranjit
June 06, 2024, 11:20:23 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
alan sailer
June 06, 2024, 10:54:48 PM
ZakW
June 06, 2024, 05:17:02 AM
Simranjit
June 06, 2024, 04:50:00 AM
davekni
June 06, 2024, 04:00:52 AM
ZakW
June 06, 2024, 01:43:41 AM
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 11:11:17 PM
Michelle_
June 05, 2024, 10:18:57 PM
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 10:13:03 PM
ZakW
June 05, 2024, 09:29:18 PM
post Half bridge sstc different waveform on two mosfets
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 08:46:53 PM
post Re: Want to build HV HF oscilloscope probe.
[Electronic Circuits]
Twospoons
June 05, 2024, 07:04:45 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
Domo
June 05, 2024, 04:58:35 AM
post Re: Pearson current monitor model 1330 teardown (100kA)
klugesmith
June 05, 2024, 01:42:04 AM
post Re: Coulometric hourmeters
klugesmith
June 04, 2024, 10:31:58 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
pete_dl
June 04, 2024, 08:08:28 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Twospoons
June 03, 2024, 11:13:26 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC questions
Benjamin Lockhart
June 03, 2024, 10:35:57 PM
Hi-Deff
June 03, 2024, 05:51:05 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Domo
June 03, 2024, 07:41:41 AM
flyingperson23
June 03, 2024, 05:28:44 AM
post Re: RDRSSTC - Project Build
davekni
June 03, 2024, 05:02:19 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 03, 2024, 03:47:33 AM
flyingperson23
June 03, 2024, 02:23:58 AM
Hi-Deff
June 03, 2024, 01:25:24 AM
ZakW
June 03, 2024, 01:08:47 AM
davekni
June 02, 2024, 10:29:02 PM
post Re: Steve Ward SSTC5 build
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 10:02:45 PM
post Re: Racing sparks
davekni
June 02, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 04:51:58 PM
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 04:44:30 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
June 02, 2024, 03:25:11 PM
post APC Smart-UPS 1500VA Teardown
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
June 02, 2024, 01:36:11 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
pete_dl
June 02, 2024, 11:43:40 AM
ZakW
June 02, 2024, 08:49:11 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 02, 2024, 08:36:07 AM
ZakW
June 02, 2024, 12:41:50 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 01, 2024, 08:24:35 PM
post Pearson current monitor model 1330 teardown (100kA)
Mads Barnkob
June 01, 2024, 08:22:28 PM
Michelle_
June 01, 2024, 03:56:53 AM
post Re: Racing sparks
Terry
June 01, 2024, 12:03:50 AM
Hi-Deff
May 31, 2024, 11:46:20 PM
Michelle_
May 31, 2024, 06:13:59 PM
davekni
May 31, 2024, 01:55:22 AM
flyingperson23
May 30, 2024, 11:57:49 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal