Author Topic: DRSSTC tuning  (Read 4366 times)

Offline kubajed

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
DRSSTC tuning
« on: October 16, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi,
my tesla coil has the following properties:

1. Secondary:
Resonant frequency: without torus: 80.8 kHz, with torus: 61.8 kHz
Wire: 0,6 mm
Resistance: 145 R
Height: 1170 mm
Diameter: 250 mm

2. Primary
Inductance: 25,3 uH
Cone: fi bottom: 310 mm, fi top: 520 mm, height: 150 mm
Pipe fi 15 mm
Turns: 8

3. Torus
R = 225 mm
r = 85 mm

4. MMC
564 nF, Vdc: 16.5 kV, irms: 156 A PMB2253470KSP (6 in parallel, 5 in series)

5. Full bridge
2x ff600r12kl4c
6800u filtering
5u snubbers
8x 100 V TVS

6. Driver
Modified Predicter, additional 80 VDC minibridge. GDTs, 1:200 CTs 0.5R shunt resistor

Current and voltage without secondary (360 VDC, 1200 Apk):

The problem occurs when I add the secondary:

There is a spike on the current waveform, and this weird voltage tail. Do you know what caused it ad if this is dangerous? I'm measuring the current using additional, separated CT, the oscilloscope has grounding disconnected. With 100 VDC on the bus I am able to get about 25 cm sparks (tuned the coil more or less). I'm grounding the secondary, heat sinks, GNDs of driver and minibridge to the same point. The socket's earthing is also connected to this point.

The phase leading works correctly, I'm able to set the ZCS.

Gate waveform:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 05:51:45 PM by kubajed »

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Czech Technical University in Prague
    • View Profile
    • UHVlab - Tesla Coils | High Voltage | Education
Re: DRSSTC tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
The spike on the current waveform is probably just noise, try scoping the primary current with common mode filter. The voltage tail is due to recuperation of energy back to DC capacitors through IGBT diodes, it's perfectly normal. I would say your waveforms are actually quite perfect.

Very nice clean build, but get rid of those TVS diodes on the bridge before they cause troubles :)
Bc. Marek Novotny
Czech Republic, Czech Technical University in Prague
www.uhvlab.org

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:07:03 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
Why can those diodes cause problems? I used them to suppress any voltage spikes.

I'm glad that these waveforms are ok. But I'm a bit concerned about the spark length. At 100 VAC it is about 20-30 cm to a grounded rod, no corona discharges (at least I haven't seen any during the day).

Is it the energy coming back from secondary causing the tail shape?

Also, do you think that connecting the coil's own grounding to socket's ground is a good idea?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:13:16 PM by kubajed »

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »
Why can those diodes cause problems? I used them to suppress any voltage spikes.

It's fine to use them to suppress voltage transients between G-E of your IGBTs because in case the voltage spike causes them to conduct, your GDT cannot provide much current to overheat them. But the current flowing in the bridge is in orders of 1000Amps! If the TVS starts to conduct, it will overheat quickly and fail short circuit which can and will destroy your IGBTs. Those transistors can take much more avalanche energy than the TVS diode. You would need many of them in parallel. (It also adds unnecessary capacitances and inductances to the bridge).

Is it the energy coming back from secondary causing the tail shape?

Not all the energy from the primary gets transferred to the secondary, the tail is caused by the leftover energy in the primary getting back to DC bus capacitors.

Also, do you think that connecting the coil's own grounding to socket's ground is a good idea?

Well it's better than nothing. I always ground the secondary to the mains socket but every time I run my coils, I connect some earth connection in parallel (Any nearby grounded object, usually central heating pipes or threaded rod stuck into ground)
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:32:35 PM »
Than you for explanation. If that is the energy from the primary circuit, why the tail differs that much in shape with and without the secondary?

Do you have any idea what could be a cause of small arcing? I think my ground path is quite good, I put about 0.7 m of a rod into the soil nearby the coil.

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 12:08:46 AM »
If that is the energy from the primary circuit, why the tail differs that much in shape with and without the secondary?

I'm not sure, but that might be because with secondary in place, some energy still gets transferred to the secondary, which might change the shape? Not sure about this one.

Do you have any idea what could be a cause of small arcing? I think my ground path is quite good, I put about 0.7 m of a rod into the soil nearby the coil.

That is probably the best way to ground the secondary coil. But again, I'm not sure what explains the small arcs.
Maybe you just run too short on-times (unlikely). Maybe your coil still needs some tuning (more likely). 
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
The on-time was in the range of 100-200 us and about 30 BPS.

Ok, I managed to get 1 m long sparks at 100 VAC input, however they only occur when I put a grounded object as a target, no corona discharge. When I was trying to achieve longer sparks and moved the target a bit, some streamers hit the secondary (from toroid to secondary) slightly above the strike rail.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:08:21 PM by kubajed »

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
Are you using some breakout rod from the toroid?

Also, if your secondary got hit, it's an indication that you need bigger toroid to shape the electric field better for protection.
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »
Yes, I’m using a sharp rod on the top of the toroid.

Even visually the toroid is a bit small, so it’s size actually could be a problem.

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 05:49:08 PM »
Well I don't know what's wrong with the arc size but the toroid definitely needs an upgrade. The toroid must distribute the electric field well enough to protect from any primary/secondary strikes.
I recommend you to stop with your experiments until you upgrade the topload to prevent any secondary or primary strikes which can be potentially destructive.

My rule of thumb is that the topload major diameter should be just slightly smaller than the secondary height and it's minor diameter should be just slightly smaller than the width of your secondary.
In your case I suggest R = 1000mm and r = 200mm toroid.
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline Duane B

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
    • Roaring 20s Superhets
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 07:34:43 PM »
Looking at the gate waveform, is the gate voltage the yellow waveform and the primary current the blue waveform? If the primary current is the blue waveform then I see a beat pattern of approximately 13 kHz (the time between the two humps). This indicates to me that the primary and secondary may be off-tune by 13 kHz.

If corona sparks are not coming off the secondary then all the stored energy has to ring down through the secondary and the primary after gate drives stop. The primary and secondary are a coupled circuit and they will ring down their energy together. I would say that most of the stored energy will be in the secondary on the ring down.
Duane Bylund

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 09:07:55 PM »
Great details and scope plots to start this thread.  Thank you.
BTW, is that first primary-only scope plot really at 5V/div for current?  That would correspond to +-13V, or +-5200A.  Or, is your CT burden resistor 2 ohms for this scope trace (for 100A/V with 200:1 CT)?

The spike on the current waveform is probably just noise
Yes, probably a spike coupled from a secondary arc through parasitic capacitances and inductances.  Not necessary to fix.

If that is the energy from the primary circuit, why the tail differs that much in shape with and without the secondary?

I'm not sure, but that might be because with secondary in place, some energy still gets transferred to the secondary, which might change the shape? Not sure about this one.

Yes, I think that is accurate.  With primary only, the high-frequency voltage ring-down tail is the LC resonance of primary inductance with IGBT capacitance.  Secondary ring-down adds to that high-frequency ring-down, with clipping due to IGBT diodes.

Concerning grounding, I use both line ground and large counterpoise (conductive sheet under entire DRSSTC assembly against concrete or whatever surface your DRSSTC is standing on).  Can be aluminum foil or screen or whatever.  A counterpoise can be more effective (lower impedance) than a rod at DRSSTC frequencies.

Well I don't know what's wrong with the arc size but the toroid definitely needs an upgrade. The toroid must distribute the electric field well enough to protect from any primary/secondary strikes.
I recommend you to stop with your experiments until you upgrade the topload to prevent any secondary or primary strikes which can be potentially destructive.

Yes, I agree here.

One final suggestion:  If at all possible, I'd test after dark.  Corona is almost impossible to see in daylight.  When dark, you can spot corona and the beginning of arcs to problematic places (such as secondary coil) before they cause too much damage.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:43:20 PM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 12:01:14 AM »

My rule of thumb is that the topload major diameter should be just slightly smaller than the secondary height and it's minor diameter should be just slightly smaller than the width of your secondary.
In your case I suggest R = 1000mm and r = 200mm toroid.

Ok, thank you, I was thinking about increasing the size of the toroid, but now I see it is inevitable. Did you mean diameters instead of radiuses, so that R = 500 mm and r = 100 mm?

Looking at the gate waveform, is the gate voltage the yellow waveform and the primary current the blue waveform?
Yes.

Great details and scope plots to start this thread.  Thank you.
BTW, is that first primary-only scope plot really at 5V/div for current?  That would correspond to +-13V, or +-5200A.  Or, is your CT burden resistor 2 ohms for this scope trace (for 100A/V with 200:1 CT)?

This CT has a ratio of 1:85 and the resistor was 1R.

Thank you for all your suggestions. What do you think about the primary though? Does its construction result in too high coupling? Should I modify it?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:03:43 AM by kubajed »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 01:05:04 AM »
What do you think about the primary though? Does its construction result in too high coupling? Should I modify it?

Can't tell just by looking.  Enter your design information into JavaTC.  It will give great estimates of parameter values including coupling.  (Pay attention to diameter and radius entries.  JavaTC is a mix, so easy to make mistakes.)
David Knierim

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »
I used JavaTC to calculate the coupling factor, and with this primary it is 0.235. If I lower the primary by 10 cm it will be 0.145.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 04:34:05 AM »
I used JavaTC to calculate the coupling factor, and with this primary it is 0.235. If I lower the primary by 10 cm it will be 0.145.
Yes, 0.145 is more typical for DRSSTC.  Usual issue with high coupling is "racing sparks", small arcs up the lower part of the secondary and sometimes to the primary too.  It is possible that you sere experiencing racing sparks.  I doubt they would be visible in daylight.  Even the normal intended arcs from the break-out point can be difficult to see in daylight.
David Knierim

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
I think I'll go for this type of a topload. What do you think?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
I think I'll go for this type of a topload. What do you think?

It will work just as fine as rings or full blown toroid. BUT. There is one but :) You need to ensure that the distance between spiral turns is no bigger than what you see in the picture, else it will start having "sharp corners", where you will get random break outs from.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline kubajed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
Hi,
as mentioned previously, the secondary got hit, as shown below:

I repaired it by soldering two or three turns together, shorting the bottom and top part of the broken secondary, but creating one or two closed loops. Is it good enough, or the closed loops will overheat?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 05:01:21 AM »
I repaired it by soldering two or three turns together, shorting the bottom and top part of the broken secondary, but creating one or two closed loops. Is it good enough, or the closed loops will overheat?
Yes, will overheat.
David Knierim

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 05:01:21 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal