Author Topic: My 160 (?)mm sstc  (Read 33840 times)

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: My 160 (?)mm sstc
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »
I tried a secondary CT...... It kinda worked but not very well. So I'm just gonna keep the antenna. I added a larger topload and had some internal arcing between the topload and the internal primary, also the internal primary to the secondary.

Luckily nothing got damaged so I'm going to rewind (with different wire) both primaries and add 3mm corflute with giving everything a coat of polyurethane. Hopefully this will fix the problem, but I suppose I could just have too much topload capacitance now.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
I rewound both primaries with 5 turns each and gave less coupling by adding a 3mm air gap. I'm going to have to switch to active cooling as the heatsinks I have are simply not big enough. I'm now getting over 700mm sparks to free air. It's almost deafening loud indoors.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Congratulations!

I think this is the best performing SSTC to its size that I have ever seen.

Do you have more detailed pictures of the double primary construction?
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:57 AM »
Congratulations!

I think this is the best performing SSTC to its size that I have ever seen.

Do you have more detailed pictures of the double primary construction?

Cheers.
Yep I'll grab some pictures for you tonight.
I'm going to have to use bigger heatsinks because the ones I have a too small. So that gives me the opportunity to change the layout of the inverter and make an MDF case so it's more easily accessible.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:49 AM »
In the name of a better setup I decided to redesign the full bridge. I made 2 half bridge pcb modules, I was hoping this was going to be straight forward but I'm having some problems. Every now and then an igbt would die (even on low voltages) so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my design.

I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing here but to me it should be working. The only thing that has changed is that the driver is now sitting besides the secondary rather than under it.
Also mads, here are the primaries. Nothing special really....

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 12:58:10 AM »
In the pursuit of finding the problem I killed about 8 igbts and ended up killing my driver board (the power supply for it decided to deliver full 20v into it). I rewound the gdt triple checked all the phasing, one thing I did note that one of the igbts wasn't getting warm when I tested the driver as a flyback driver. I tested both modules as half bridges then in full bridge with both configurations working perfectly.

At one last attempt I'll isolation mill the inverter section as the same layout as I originally had it on a perf board. Im honestly thinking if I can't get it working I'll just switch it to a drsstc..... The drivers on AliExpress while questionable at first glance but are cheap enough to give a go.

One thing I will ask is I'm driving my gate at 20v peak to peak, so I'm going to say 10v + and -. When people talk about gate voltage are the meaning peak to peak or +/- ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:16:36 AM by Mads Barnkob »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
It seems you have a few bits and pieces of copper trace/solder between the traces, maybe you have something that gives full voltage into the gate and kills it that way. But that does not explain that you already tested them beforehand and it worked.

If you have wrong phasing or defective switches, it would normally show as high current draw from low voltage and just ever increasing, the variac might also give some dunk, dunk, dunk noises that fit the interrupter signal.

If you provide your drivers with +20VDC, you will be driving the MOSFETs/IGBTs through the GDT with +/- 20VDC

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
It seems you have a few bits and pieces of copper trace/solder between the traces, maybe you have something that gives full voltage into the gate and kills it that way. But that does not explain that you already tested them beforehand and it worked.

If you have wrong phasing or defective switches, it would normally show as high current draw from low voltage and just ever increasing, the variac might also give some dunk, dunk, dunk noises that fit the interrupter signal.

If you provide your drivers with +20VDC, you will be driving the MOSFETs/IGBTs through the GDT with +/- 20VDC

Cheers,
The stuff between the traces is just flux from the solder, I wonder if this could have an affect on it.

Also (just to get it through my head!) As you've stated with a drive voltage of 20v the square wave on the oscilloscope will read 40v peak to peak?

Cheers again

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
If you use a GDT then you have implemented bipolar drive and it will drive it positive to the supply voltage and negative to the supply voltage.

I recommend that you take a look at these two sites: http://thedatastream.4hv.org/gdt_index.htm and http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/temp/gdt/gdt2.html

This was the best screenshot that I could find with a short notice

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2017, 01:45:34 AM »
Cheers Mads, I now have a better understanding. I've realised where some of my confusion came from was inputting a square wave into my driver and looking at the output voltage. It was only when I actually ran the coil with the oscilloscope connected to a spare output on the gdt that I could observe what was going on.

One other problem became apparent. My analogue oscilloscope had a hard time displaying the output of the gdt when the Tesla coil is in operation (when connected to a spare channel on the gdt). When compared to a screenshot like yours mine is (while readable) much more difficult to make out. So I might start looking for a DSO

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Cheers Mads, I now have a better understanding. I've realised where some of my confusion came from was inputting a square wave into my driver and looking at the output voltage. It was only when I actually ran the coil with the oscilloscope connected to a spare output on the gdt that I could observe what was going on.

One other problem became apparent. My analogue oscilloscope had a hard time displaying the output of the gdt when the Tesla coil is in operation (when connected to a spare channel on the gdt). When compared to a screenshot like yours mine is (while readable) much more difficult to make out. So I might start looking for a DSO

A DSO and differential probes certainly makes life easier, but it does also take an investment to have good tools :)

I can recommend the Tektronix P5200 if you can find a used to a good price. For oscilloscope the DS1054Z is still one of my favorites when it comes to features/price ratio. A good entry level scope, that I still use myself.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
Cheers for the recommendations. I was looking at something like a Hantek DSO5102P. Naturally I haven't looked at the features yet. Although the hantek comes in at half the price I'll take your recommendation for the rigol.

Luckily I have overtime at the moment!

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
Cheers for the recommendations. I was looking at something like a Hantek DSO5102P. Naturally I haven't looked at the features yet. Although the hantek comes in at half the price I'll take your recommendation for the rigol.

Luckily I have overtime at the moment!

I think this covers most of the points when considering those two scopes against each other: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-dso5102-vs-rigol-ds1102-vs-rigol-ds1054/

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
Just had another look through this thread - great results for a SSTC!

Regarding the scope question, the cheap options all have their pros/cons, but you have a much better choice than a few years ago, when the only affordable option was used (and used stuff is generally overpriced outside of the USA). I had a DS1054Z until I sold it to a colleague yesterday, it had various annoying aspects but was amazing value for money, and the only reason it's gone is that I bought a much more expensive Rhode&Schwarz unit and found I wasn't using the Rigol. If I were to buy another scope in this class I'd check out the Siglent options too, also maybe Micsig if portability is desirable.

You also mentioned using Chinese 60N60 IGBTs (I assume FGH60N60SMDs) - how were your experiences with these? I've always assumed that the likelihood of getting fakes is very high, but the prices is very tempting (my new coil needs 16 devices!)

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
Just had another look through this thread - great results for a SSTC!

Regarding the scope question, the cheap options all have their pros/cons, but you have a much better choice than a few years ago, when the only affordable option was used (and used stuff is generally overpriced outside of the USA). I had a DS1054Z until I sold it to a colleague yesterday, it had various annoying aspects but was amazing value for money, and the only reason it's gone is that I bought a much more expensive Rhode&Schwarz unit and found I wasn't using the Rigol. If I were to buy another scope in this class I'd check out the Siglent options too, also maybe Micsig if portability is desirable.

You also mentioned using Chinese 60N60 IGBTs (I assume FGH60N60SMDs) - how were your experiences with these? I've always assumed that the likelihood of getting fakes is very high, but the prices is very tempting (my new coil needs 16 devices!)

cheers for the recommendations, it will give me more to think about.  as to what IGBTs i was using it was the FGH60N60SMDs. they worked well for what i needed them to, i did have some problems but this was to my own error. I've noticed on coilsmiths (facebook page) that a few people have been using IGBTs from aliexpress with nothing bad to say. for the price they are sold for its worth a shot.

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
Ok..... So I've been lurking lately but finally got some work on the coil done. It now has a fullbridge of ixgn60n60. But as always I'm having little niggles... The first problem is that I'm having interference problems with the smps I have onboard. With the last case I had the power supply external so this wasn't a problem. The case of the smps is grounded but when the coil is wound up the fan can be heard boging down in rpm (although as I think about it maybe it's just the fan?)

The second problem is I'm getting heaps of racing sparks. It has 3 coats of polyurethane but I don't think it's the best. I remember reading on 4hv.org someone saying they used floor varnish (still water based polyurethane). Hopefully I can get some recommendations as what polyurethane people are using here.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
I think that your sphere topload might be a part of the problem with racing sparks, do you have a similar toroid shape that you could try with?

The electromagnetic field around a sphere is quite different from the one around a toroid and the result could be racing sparks. A sphere has its closest field lines going down through the middle of your secondary, whereas the correctly sized toroid would have them going down the sides of the secondary coil.

Another possibility is too high coupling between primary and secondary coils. That is well known from DRSSTC territory

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
I think I'm done..... Killed the ixgn60n60 fullbridge on 100v. Had tvs/gate diodes on each igbt and still died.

I'm totally stunned how something can work almost flawlessly then then next minute never be the same.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »
The frustration is real when dealing with loosely controlled power electronics, not much has to be wrong before something dies :)

I do however want to acknowledge, once again, that you had some really good results with long sparks and are one of few to have made a coil with both external and internal primary coils.

Does this mean that you are moving on full time to DRSSTC and the Chinese drivers?

Offline oneKone

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
The frustration is real when dealing with loosely controlled power electronics, not much has to be wrong before something dies :)

I do however want to acknowledge, once again, that you had some really good results with long sparks and are one of few to have made a coil with both external and internal primary coils.

Does this mean that you are moving on full time to DRSSTC and the Chinese drivers?

cheers for the compliments. I think i'm going to persevere with this coil, if i don't it will always bug me! but after this coil i will be moving to drsstc.

After basically having a bitch about killing the igbts i took a few days to rethink what the problem might be. I knew the driver was ok and that (although with some ringing) gdt was giving a good output so that left one last thing to check....... the gate resistors. I was using cheap, and i'm talking dirt cheap chinese resistors. I had four of them in parallel because i didn't have the correct value. three of the resistor bundles were reading correct @ 6ohm but one was reading about 7k7..... The individual resistors gave a reading of 9k, 405k, 0.6 Megaohm and 1.12 Megaohm.

After knowing this i made a fullbridge of irfp460 and it seems to be running ok, although current limited. So tomorrow i'll head to my local electronics shop and buy the parts necessary for a higher power run, hopefully if everything goes ok i'll order another set of the 60n60 mini blocks and test everything before going to higher voltages.         

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal