Author Topic: GDT keeps on killing IGBTs  (Read 37046 times)

Offline ritaismyconscience

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
GDT keeps on killing IGBTs
« on: February 21, 2020, 02:41:03 AM »
Hi,
I have a problem with my gate driver, as it randomly kills IGBTs. I've already had to replace 4 of them due to this problem.

Here's what my circuit looks like:

Here's a couple pictures of my setup:

The brown and green wires go to the GDTs

A picture of the waveform with 2 44nF capacitors simulating the gates of the 4 IGBTs being driven by the GDT:

(Scale: 10V/div & 2us/div)

The driver circuit is a chinese version which uses a CPLD, but the output stage uses the same parts as the UD 2.7 (It uses the FDD8424)
Here's a picture of it:

I think I might need to swap the TVS diodes for a lower voltage one. Anything else I need to change?

Edit: Unrelated question: I heard that you should use a fast diode instead of relying on the internal diode in the IGBT. Would using RURG8060 work, and would I need to put the diode on a heatsink? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:28:34 AM by ritaismyconscience »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
Re: GDT keeps on killing IGBTs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:42:34 AM »
I see that your gate driver is shielded.  Is there a connection between the shield and gate-driver input power V- somewhere near where the power comes into the shield?  FPGAs can get confused by stray field spikes.

There could also be a bug in the FPGA code causing high-frequency oscillation or other problems with the gate drive waveform during operation.  It's difficult to catch waveforms during the failure event.  If your scope has a pulse-width trigger mode, try looking for short gate-drive pulses.

Without knowing the circuit, it's going to be difficult to find the problem.
David Knierim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 06:11:32 AM »
I'll try replacing the TVS diodes and I'll try adding 24V Zener diodes.

Edit: I came up with this. Will this work?

Also, I looked at other people's schematic, and they used 5.1 ohm resistors on each gate instead of doing what I did. Does this matter?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:32:22 AM by ritaismyconscience »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
The whole idea of a gate resistor is to have it as close as possible to the gate of the IGBT/MOSFET in order to quench ringing between input capacitance and parasitic inductance in the gate drive circuit.

You can not just move it to the primary side of your GDT and expect the same function. What you have done is entirely different.

I can not quite make out from your pictures, which wires goes where, but generally you have way too long leads going everywhere, have everything as short as possible. Everything else is just asking for even more inductance and "antennas" to pick up noise from spark EMI.

Your GDT is not killing your IGBTs, your changes to the gate drive circuit and far-from-optimal wiring is killing your IGBTs
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
It's also a good idea to add a speedup for the turn off resistance to help avoid shoot through etc.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:39:10 AM »
Mads and Hydron are likely right about the real cause of IGBT frying:  clean short wiring and gate damping at the gates with speed-up diodes for the turn-off edges.  (I was too focused the controller per your question.)

One other issue that could be causing frying is too little lead-compensation in the controller.  The gate drive signal should ideally switch just before the zero-current times of the primary resonant circuit.  Too far off from that is hard-switching of the IGBTs, which fries them.
David Knierim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 06:49:22 AM »
Haven't tested it with voltage yet, so it's probably not the controller's fault

Offline dj.cosmo.esq

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:41:18 AM »
Hey just a little input I have the same board which has given me hell on Earth (kinda). My question to you is are you using one GDT? Cause I have found some Chinese to English translations that say you are supposed to parallel the outputs since one is driving the GDT and the other is driving nothing. I ended up making 2 GDTs to drive 4x cm400ha-24h but being impatient I ran it off if the GDT1 and blew up the MIC chip on GDT2 but the IGBTs are ok. How are you getting your feedback signal? I was using a signal generator (fail) but Dave had a good idea and I went searching for a Kickstart circuit which actually was attached to a induction heater. Ive been trying to find the firmware to look at for the clpd board but no luck yet.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 05:43:17 AM »
My question to you is are you using one GDT?

I'm using 2 GDTs, one to drive each half of the fullbridge. Seems to work so far.

How are you getting your feedback signal?

Haven't tested it with voltage yet. However, using a 1:1023 feedback transformer should work.

Also, I fixed my driver and I saw this on my oscilloscope:

Does this look normal? For some reason the voltage spikes to 30V at the start
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:36:29 AM by ritaismyconscience »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:33 AM »
When you say "haven't tested it with voltage yet", are you saying that the IGBTs fried with no collector voltage, only gate drive?  That would be extraordinary.

Was the scope trace taken at the IGBT gate-to-emitter?  Normally there is undershoot there, but not overshoot.  Typically the gate series resistor is high enough for critical damping with the GDT leakage inductance for the low-to-high transition.  For high-to-low, a diode bypasses some of the gate drive resistance, making it underdamped, generating undershoot.
David Knierim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
Looks like I must have connected the scope leads backwards then, because it probably caught the negative cycle. Anyways, would -30V across gate and emitter be enough to kill my IGBTs? It looks like my zener diode circuit I came up with was too slow to deal with the spike.

When you say "haven't tested it with voltage yet", are you saying that the IGBTs fried with no collector voltage, only gate drive?  That would be extraordinary.

Yes, but it's probably because I messed up the circuit in my first attempt. I've also used a hammer to reveal the die, and there aren't any burn marks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:12:26 AM by ritaismyconscience »

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 04:23:50 AM »

Looks like you were right, here's the waveform on the positive cycle.

Anyways, is -30V going to kill my IGBTs or should I not worry about it?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:04 AM »
Mads has said in other posts that -30V is fine for momentary undershoot, even though it's beyond the IGBT's specification limit.  I have no personal experience with such.

The zener diodes are likely fast enough, but not low-enough impedance to clamp the gate signal.

To avoid damaging your circuit, especially once bus voltage is applied, be careful about grounding sensitive nodes to your scope.  Even if the scope is floating (not connected to line ground), capacitance from the scope "ground" to the line power can be enough to disrupt circuit operation.  So, "ground" only low-impedance nodes that don't have intentional AC signals on them, such as the low-side emitters or high-side collectors (bus voltage - and + nodes), not gate signals or bridge outputs.  If you "ground" a floating scope to any high voltage such as + bus voltage, be careful not to shock yourself from the scope case!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:25:35 AM by davekni »
David Knierim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 06:27:40 AM »
Mads has said in other posts that -30V is fine for momentary undershoot, even though it's beyond the IGBT's specification limit.  I have no personal experience with such.

To avoid damaging your circuit, especially once bus voltage is applied, be careful about grounding sensitive nodes to your scope.  Even if the scope is floating (not connected to line ground), capacitance from the scope "ground" to the line power can be enough to disrupt circuit operation.  So, "ground" only low-impedance nodes that don't have intentional AC signals on them, such as the low-side emitters or high-side collectors (bus voltage - and + nodes), not gate signals or bridge outputs.  If you "ground" a floating scope to any high voltage such as + bus voltage, be careful not to shock yourself from the scope case!

I'm going to use a second current transformer to monitor the current and I'm going to stick a wire through the gate transformer to keep track of gate voltage. This way my scope is completely isolated from the voltage.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
Anyways, is -30V going to kill my IGBTs or should I not worry about it?

http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/igbts/

Maximum Gate-to-Emitter Voltage (VGE)

The gate voltage is limited by the thickness and characteristics of the gate oxide layer. Though the gate dielectric rupture is typically around 80 volts, the user is normally limited to 20 or 30V to limit current under fault conditions and to ensure long term reliability.

It is normal practice to drive IGBTs at +24VDC with the Steve Ward universal driver and clones of it that most use. The reason for the gate voltage limit is not so much for protecting the gate itself, it will first break down at some 80 Volt. Higher gate voltage means higher currents can be conducted through the Collector-Emitter. We take advantage of this by pushing the gate a little over its rated voltage to allow us to conduct higher currents through the IGBT, at the cost of higher switching losses. As explained by manufacturers in the following.

It is important to note however that IGBTs exhibit relatively high gain even at high gate-emitter voltage. This is because increasing the flow of electrons by increasing the gate-emitter voltage also increases the flow of holes. The gain of a high voltage power MOSFET however is very insensitive to gate voltage once fully on.

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 05:55:55 AM »
Thanks for all of your help, looks like my setup is working now

Here's what the waveforms look like on 25VAC (the bus voltage is double the AC voltage, so the bus voltage is 70V DC)

1 div = 20A current

This is my first time building one of these, so I might need more help in the future
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:06:35 AM by ritaismyconscience »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »
This is my first time building one of these, so I might need more help in the future

Congratulations on having it oscillate correctly. Before you ask, low voltage testing can have seemingly large switching transients due to output capacitance of the IGBT being high at low C-E voltages. So do not fear large switching transients below some 100-200V DCbus

We are always here to help you with your Tesla coils, you provide a good amount of information and pictures to make it easier to understand your problems  ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:07 AM »
I tested it at half bus voltage today (170V) and I got this:

There seems to be some switching spikes (1 div = 100A). Does this look normal?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 05:27:56 AM »
Those transients do look high.  The actual current through the primary resonant circuit likely doesn't have such current spikes.  It's more likely capacitive or inductive coupling in your scoping current transformer or its wiring.  Do you have a picture and any details of your sense transformers, both the one used for scoping and the one for feedback?  What load resistor are you using on the scope transformer?

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it appears that the spikes occur shortly after the current zero-crossing points.  The H-Bridge switching is softer if done just before current zero-crossing (by increasing lead compensation in the gate-driver circuit).  That way the Tesla primary current makes the voltage transition during the IGBT dead-time.  Lack of dead-time would be another cause of large switching spikes.  Do you have a sketch and/or images of how your gate-drive transformers and resistors/diodes are wired now?
David Knierim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »

^ Feedback transformer (1:1023 for both)

^ 1:1023 current transformer + 10 ohm resistor (connects to scope)

^ Circuit design

^ A picture of the driver I'm using. It doesn't seem to have phase lead compensation. Is it possible to modify the circuit to add this?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:28:20 AM by ritaismyconscience »

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal