Marketplace > Sell / Buy / Trade

WTS/WTT: T520-2 - Micrometals core, MO, USA

(1/4) > >>

coilerer:
Hey,

I know I'm new here, but I figured I would offer this in case someone else is building a buck qcw and needs a core capable of handling hundreds of amps. Not selling the whole inductor, just the bare core.

Ordering from micrometals has a minimum of two for this part number, hence my spare. I'm only looking for what I paid for one. $45+shipping.

I am also down for cool trades. Let me know if you have anything you want to swap.

Datasheet: https://datasheets.micrometals.com/T520-2-DataSheet.pdf

flyingperson23:
I'd like to buy it. I PMed you about it.

flyingperson23:
NVM it's too small sorry. If I'm not misreading the datasheet, it looks like with enough turns for a few hundred uH, it saturates at under a hundred amps.

klugesmith:
Welcome to the forum!

--- Quote from: flyingperson23 on November 19, 2023, 01:09:21 AM ---...If I'm not misreading the datasheet, it looks like with enough turns for a few hundred uH, it saturates at under a hundred amps.

--- End quote ---
Sounds about right.  In an unsolicited design review:
120 turns would give you 287 uH. 
Then 100 A would put H at 457 Oe (36400 A/m), where permeability is down to 88% of nominal.
B would be 4020 gausses instead of 4570 gausses; L would be down to 256 uH.
There are applications where that might be a reasonable operating point.
The core is big enough for 120 turns of AWG 6 or even AWG 5 wire, presumably stranded with very thin insulation.

I think this material (Mix-02) approaches the maximum energy anyone could store in a core that size. (order of 1 joule)
There's so much distributed air gap, that the nominal relative permeability is only 10.  I hadn't known that catalog parts went that low.
With same winding on higher permeability core material, L would go up and I_sat go down in same proportion, so energy would go down.

[edit] Actually we could get more DC energy in similar size inductor using a laminated steel core with air gap, able to handle more than 15000 gausses before saturation.  Not practical for a switching converter!

davekni:

--- Quote ---[edit] Actually we could get more DC energy in similar size inductor using a laminated steel core with air gap, able to handle more than 15000 gausses before saturation.  Not practical for a switching converter!
--- End quote ---
Tape-wound amorphous steel cores are used at 20kHz.  Haven't seen any such cores available surplus.

--- Quote ---If I'm not misreading the datasheet, it looks like with enough turns for a few hundred uH, it saturates at under a hundred amps.
--- End quote ---
I'm curious about this QCW coil that requires such large buck inductance.  My QCW buck uses a 40uH 400A inductor, switching at 40kHz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Go to full version