Author Topic: ZCS for SSTC without E class??  (Read 5731 times)

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Czech Technical University in Prague
    • View Profile
    • UHVlab - Tesla Coils | High Voltage | Education
Re: ZCS for SSTC without E class??
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2024, 09:30:40 PM »
Presumed the 1nF snubbers you mentioned were on each FET, so 2nF total.  Looking at FET data sheet for 0-90Vds, average capacitance was ~250pF each, 500pF total.  So ~2.5nF on bridge output, swinging 90V, for 2.5 * 90 = 225nC charge.  Presuming a bit more stray capacitance from GDT and bridge etc, I rounded to 240nC.  240nC / 4A = 60ns.
Thank you, that's very straight forward

That's typical behavior.  Arc loading increases as voltage increases, which reduces resonant Q.  Series-resonant impedance increases as Q drops.
That's very interesting, I would not have guessed that the impedance increases so quickly.

Unfortunately, my transistors have gave up today when running CW mode at 1.1kW.
I've redesigned the primary coil as it was heating up quite rapidly and used 2 primaries in parallel with the same wire guage. This lead to longer primary windings and thus higher coupling and higher power.
Due to this change I was able to get very nice output for a half bridge SSTC:

Unfortunately after 1minute and 28seconds running at full power in CW mode (230V, 1450VA, 1100W) the transistors blew up.

However, I think this was caused by my over temperature protection circuit. When this happened, the heatsink was about 60C, which means the transistors were most likely not much hotter than that (80C perhaps?). Not a sufficient temperature to kill the transistor. Nonetheless around 60C is the temperature threshold at which the over temperature protection circuit trips.

This is the circuit I've been using. I've specially placed a D flip flop so that the over temperature and UVLO only trips during "zero crossing". However I'm not really sure how that worked out.
I've been able to capture what happens on the bridge during UVLO trip from previous lower power tests:

(Red = primary current, Yellow = Drain-Source of low-side FET)
The ringdown looks pretty much as what I'd expect, however the primary current suddenly floating on what appears to be another sinewave looks odd to me.

Both transistors were completely destroyed (short between G-S, short between D-S). No other parts were damaged.
There isn't any visible damage on the transistors so it's hard to say which failed first.

What are your thoughts on this and on the overtemperature/UVLO circuit?

Thanks for any replies!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:05:39 PM by AstRii »
Bc. Marek Novotny
Czech Republic, Czech Technical University in Prague
www.uhvlab.org

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2024, 05:22:35 AM »
The ringdown looks pretty much as what I'd expect, however the primary current suddenly floating on what appears to be another sinewave looks odd to me.
What are your thoughts on this and on the overtemperature/UVLO circuit?
Simulate your gating and gate drive (including GDT).  You will learn more than if I try to explain.  Then compare with UD2.X.

When this happened, the heatsink was about 60C, which means the transistors were most likely not much hotter than that (80C perhaps?).
May be circuitry as you expect.  However, die inside IGBT packages are likely hotter than 80C.  Depends on power dissipation and thermal resistance inside package and package-to-heatsink.
David Knierim

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »
Simulate your gating and gate drive (including GDT).  You will learn more than if I try to explain.

I find simulators very intimidating and frustrating as they rarely work for me. Either ICs are not doing what they should or the simulation breaks due to some random 100MV spike or there are some transients which make it impossible to extrapolate anything valuable.

All of this is very demotivating for me, I prefer to learn fast, that's why I'm using this forum in the first place.

However, die inside IGBT packages are likely hotter than 80C.  Depends on power dissipation and thermal resistance inside package and package-to-heatsink.

Yes, unfortunately I do not have datasheet of the heatsink or thermal pads I'm using. I can only assume the thermal resistance between the transistor pad and the heatsink is not that high, as when I've touched the transistor case and the heatsink, they felt about the same. I think I can be confident about saying that the transistors did not reach 150C to break by overheating.

Then compare with UD2.X.

From my understanding, the circuitry is the same, a D flip flop and an AND gate. However I still think my accident was caused by my UVLO/over-temperature circuitry so something I don't understand must be different.

Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2024, 04:26:00 AM »
I find simulators very intimidating and frustrating as they rarely work for me. Either ICs are not doing what they should or the simulation breaks due to some random 100MV spike or there are some transients which make it impossible to extrapolate anything valuable.
Yes, simulating can be frustrating.  If you plan to work in analog electronics, simulating will likely be a necessary skill.  You'll learn techniques to minimize issues.  A few key ones below:
1) Use many initial condition statements (.ic statements).  Define reasonable voltages for key nodes.  Define initial inductor currents, especially if initial voltages would cause inductor current.  Usually setting inductor currents to 0 works well.  Sometimes non-zero current is good for rapid starting of oscillators.
2) Use as simple device models as will suffice.  LTSpice provides a couple basic opamp models for example, or use a voltage controlled voltage source.  If opamp bandwidth, drive current, etc. aren't critical to circuit, use simple models.  Use built-in LVDMOS model rather than fancier models from manufacturers.  BTW, I simulate with LVDMOS FETs even if actual circuit is IGBT.  I find IGBT models are often problematic.
2a) If details are critical for one or two devices, use manufacturer models for just those devices.
3) If simulation has issues after beginning, sometimes setting smaller time step helps.  Does slow down simulation, however.  Automatic dynamic time steps are usually fine.
4) Label all nodes (wires), or at least all that are being probed.  Makes read/communicating simulation results clearer.
5) Add some realistic parasitic series and parallel resistance to inductors.  Ideal (undamped) inductors sometimes cause issues.

Your posted simulation looks reasonable, though node labels and .ic statements will help.  I can't tell what nodes are being probed (nodes 4 and 7) without labels.  Probed voltage looks odd for any pair of nodes I can think of.  Also, add a defined number of pulses so pulses train ends to simulate end of enable time.  That enable end is the issue you want to study if I understand above post.  Also, I'd add GDT input parallel snubbing to make sure GDT primary matches real circuit.
David Knierim

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2024, 05:13:13 AM »
Yes I've spent whole night on it, but I think I understand why the accident happens.

During the overtemperature event, the driver basically keeps the Gates floating, meaning one of the transistors will turn off slowly (through secondary GDT winding).
If the transistor don't switch off quick enough (before the primary current starts another cycle), the transistor will suffer heavy loss and will fail.

I've solved this problem by using another winding on the GDT, that shorts the transformer to GND, eliminating any residual charge on the transistors.

I'm not sure how this will work in practice and I still can't wrap my head around why an UD2.7C driver does not need such feature, to me the GDT drive circuit looks the same.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:15:26 AM by AstRii »
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2024, 06:01:49 AM »
I'm not sure how this will work in practice and I still can't wrap my head around why an UD2.7C driver does not need such feature, to me the GDT drive circuit looks the same.
They are not the same.  The difference is why you are having issues.  There can be a small residual GDT signal after UD2.7 disable.  There are posts on the forum showing GDT traces at the end of enable.  Generally residual gate voltage is below IGBT threshold.  Your clamp would help clean that up.  However, it is a klude to fix a basic gating issue with a clamp.
David Knierim

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 02:38:49 AM »
They are not the same.  The difference is why you are having issues.

I think I understand the issue now. The difference is that my current driver after the falling edge of enable will have one gate driver outputting high and other gate driver outputting low. This means there will be full input voltage across the GDT primary (not causing a short circuit thanks to the DC blocking capacitor). This also means that the secondaries of GDT will have nowhere to discharge.

However UD2.7 gate drivers will both output the same logic state (high) after the falling edge of enable.
This shorts GDT secondaries through the gate driver's high side PMOS through the voltage source it's being powered from to GND. Removing any charge from the Gates of power transistors.

Did I get that right?

Unfortunately I was in a rush to order new PCB as this coil needs to be finished soon. So the new driver PCB will use the "clamp" winding.

I will use UD2.7 output stage in the next iteration or perhaps even galvanically insulated Gate driver ICs. 
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 03:45:51 AM »
I think I understand the issue now. The difference is that my current driver after the falling edge of enable will have one gate driver outputting high and other gate driver outputting low. This means there will be full input voltage across the GDT primary (not causing a short circuit thanks to the DC blocking capacitor). This also means that the secondaries of GDT will have nowhere to discharge.

However UD2.7 gate drivers will both output the same logic state (high) after the falling edge of enable.
This shorts GDT secondaries through the gate driver's high side PMOS through the voltage source it's being powered from to GND. Removing any charge from the Gates of power transistors.

Did I get that right?
Yes, with one tiny change.  UD2.7 gate drivers output high, so low side NMOS FETs are on.  Otherwise exactly correct.

Unfortunately I was in a rush to order new PCB as this coil needs to be finished soon. So the new driver PCB will use the "clamp" winding.
Clamp solution does leave one issue unresolved:  The DC blocking capacitor starts charged rather than at 0V.  Given lower IGBT current at start of enable, this start condition issue MIGHT not cause failures.

At the risk of providing too much information:  Your boards are trivial to patch.  Just use the driver chip enable pins instead of AND gate on input.  UD2.7 avoids using enable because that would leave driver chip outputs low.  Low driver outputs would turn on PMOS outputs, except that PMOS gate drive is AC-coupled.
David Knierim

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 03:59:51 AM »
Yes, with one tiny change.  UD2.7 gate drivers output high, so low side NMOS FETs are on.  Otherwise exactly correct.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation

The DC blocking capacitor starts charged rather than at 0V.

Wouldn't a discharging resistor parallel to the cap solve this issue?

Just use the driver chip enable pins instead of AND gate on input.

I have thought of that, however IXDN6XX / IXDI6XX drivers do not use the enable pin. There is a IXDD6XX version of the non inverting driver that uses it, however there is no such option for the inverting chip. Also the IXDD6XX chip outputs High-Z instead of low when enable is low, that is not much helpful. I've picked these drivers a long time ago since they are in a TO220 package so they are easy to cool and they are not much costly, however now I see they are not the best in this situation.
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2024, 04:27:28 AM »
Wouldn't a discharging resistor parallel to the cap solve this issue?
A resistor might help a little with how fast cap discharges after enable starts.  Doesn't fix issue.  Mostly wastes power and starts GDT primary with some DC current.

I have thought of that, however IXDN6XX / IXDI6XX drivers do not use the enable pin. There is a IXDD6XX version of the non inverting driver that uses it, however there is no such option for the inverting chip. Also the IXDD6XX chip outputs High-Z instead of low when enable is low, that is not much helpful. I've picked these drivers a long time ago since they are in a TO220 package so they are easy to cool and they are not much costly, however now I see they are not the best in this situation.
OK, makes sense.  I'd looked at your schematic symbol and not at part data sheet.  Unusual to have high-Z as the disabled state.  If the chip version you were using had enable, high-Z combined with your clamp and some resistance across DC coupling cap would fix everything.
David Knierim

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2024, 04:34:22 AM »
Actually what I forgot to mention is that I also changed the IXDN609 for IXDD609 and routed the Enable pulse to its enable pin. It's funny because I did this change without simulating it or thinking about it, as I said I was in quite a hurry to order new PCB and I had just an intuition that this change will help.

If the chip version you were using had enable, high-Z combined with your clamp and some resistance across DC coupling cap would fix everything.

I'm so glad to hear this confirmation. Thanks a lot. I will keep you updated when the new PCB arrives
Bc. Marek Novotny
www.uhvlab.org

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2024, 04:34:22 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
Today at 07:09:16 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
Today at 05:02:46 AM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
Today at 02:25:25 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
alan sailer
Today at 01:39:11 AM
post Re: Plasma Toroid
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
alan sailer
Today at 01:33:21 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 12, 2024, 10:56:53 PM
post Re: Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
NyaaX_X
May 12, 2024, 05:10:40 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 04:24:44 PM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
May 12, 2024, 04:10:54 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 04:04:11 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
May 12, 2024, 03:56:57 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 03:46:45 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
May 12, 2024, 02:59:16 PM
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 02:51:27 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 02:49:42 PM
ZakW
May 12, 2024, 08:34:39 AM
[Beginners]
ZakW
May 12, 2024, 08:30:29 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 12, 2024, 02:35:17 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
May 12, 2024, 02:07:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 09:55:59 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:16:22 PM
post Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
hal7rr
May 11, 2024, 05:24:34 PM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 10:39:24 AM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
May 11, 2024, 07:02:20 AM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:40:50 AM
post Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
paulp1776
May 11, 2024, 06:23:59 AM
post Re: Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 05:27:22 AM
alan sailer
May 11, 2024, 01:37:37 AM
post Re: designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Twospoons
May 11, 2024, 12:10:44 AM
post designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Luca c.
May 10, 2024, 09:38:05 PM
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 09:24:21 PM
alan sailer
May 10, 2024, 08:43:11 PM
post Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 08:33:47 PM
post Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:34:15 AM
post Re: Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:08:38 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 03:02:13 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 10, 2024, 01:39:53 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 12:06:50 AM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 07:10:19 PM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 06:59:22 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:42:49 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:06:19 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
May 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 09, 2024, 09:15:24 AM
Lasr8
May 09, 2024, 04:45:33 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 09, 2024, 03:56:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:16:30 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:00:28 AM
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 09, 2024, 12:48:57 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
radioman
May 08, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
post Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 08:10:41 PM
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
post Re: How do you measure HV current?
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 08, 2024, 07:33:31 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 08, 2024, 01:31:28 PM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 08, 2024, 06:41:48 AM
post Tesla coil amplitude dies after one corona discharge.
Simranjit
May 08, 2024, 05:42:07 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Michelle_
May 07, 2024, 06:46:16 PM
post What capacitor configuration to explode foil?
[Capacitor Banks]
FPS
May 07, 2024, 03:51:32 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
alan sailer
May 07, 2024, 03:20:23 PM
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 11:00:00 AM
post Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 06:07:48 AM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Michelle_
May 06, 2024, 04:43:19 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:26:44 PM
post Re: Feedback core for Tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:24:57 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
May 06, 2024, 04:20:37 PM
post Feedback core for Tesla coil
Simranjit
May 06, 2024, 04:28:59 AM
davekni
May 06, 2024, 02:57:19 AM
alan sailer
May 06, 2024, 02:07:38 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 10:27:01 PM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 10:10:11 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 08:06:11 PM
post Re: Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 04:28:35 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 06:31:32 AM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
flyingperson23
May 05, 2024, 05:48:43 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:28:40 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 03:05:44 AM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 02:54:42 AM
post Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 02:21:54 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 01:46:25 AM
post Re: TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 12:26:38 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 10:48:10 PM
[General Chat]
klugesmith
May 04, 2024, 10:40:15 PM
post TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 09:30:32 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 04, 2024, 08:56:27 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:25:00 AM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:21:02 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:33:40 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:02:48 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 11:39:10 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 10:59:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
May 03, 2024, 09:59:22 AM
post What happened to ArcAttack?
rusirius
May 03, 2024, 02:34:36 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 02, 2024, 05:18:56 AM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:06:40 PM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:01:33 PM
post Re: Watercooling
Mads Barnkob
May 01, 2024, 07:26:03 PM
post Re: Watercooling
Michelle_
May 01, 2024, 05:53:47 PM
alan sailer
May 01, 2024, 04:05:23 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal