Author Topic: Help for people buying the "12-48 Volt 1800/2500 Watt ZVS induction Heater"  (Read 179475 times)

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • French Creek Valley Activities
"No matter in any case, no-load is allowed (no-load refers to the output port without any load).----
They mean that you must not apply power to the ZVS circuit if you do not have a proper work coil connected.
As you have already observed, there is NO PROBLEM with having the unit powered up with no work piece in the work coil.

Second question:
For the same reason as first question I would like to use a footpedal to engage heating. Or maybe have I misunderstood it and there is nog engage exept turning on the machine?
The "footpedal" can be used to trigger an appropriately sized mechanical relay or an appropriately sized DC Solid State Relay.
I assume that you will already have your work piece in the work coil. I have tested this case and I see no problem with it.
---As long as you already know that the current that will be drawn by that work piece will not exceed the capabilities of the relay or the ZVS board.
In this case, of course, you will need to have your DC power supply "ON" and only use the relay to send the DC  power to the ZVS board.

If any of this is unclear, please feel free to ask for more information.  !!! Your English is very good!!!

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
I interpreter that as "Machine should not be even idle without metal in the coil". However, I have seen many clips when they talk about the energy consumption of 4-8 amps in standby mode. But nowhere have a seen any discussion on the topic.
I'm guessing they mean with no coil attached.  Coil without load inside it should be fine.  Unless that causes startup transient issues, which are common, but I haven't heard being related to load inside coil.

Second question:
For the same reason as first question I would like to use a footpedal to engage heating. Or maybe have I misunderstood it and there is nog engage exept turning on the machine?
If you have a high-current foot pedal switch, it could be in series with 48Vdc supply connection to induction circuit.  Or high-current relay connected to foot pedal as Pete mentioned.  If in series with line voltage to 48Vdc supply, may cause issues due to slow rise of 48Vdc.  There are fixes for this, such as a separate low-power supply feeding gate pull-up resistors that is always on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 05:49:38 AM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline thewindowguy

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Thanks for your answers guys! 👌

I just got the delivery a couple of days ago. So the last few days I have been tweaking, soldering and building. Today I just tried it out. It works, I can not say if it work as it should since I never tried one before.

Your instructions on Spaco was really useful. Now a first setup is done and I will modify it more and make it cleaner in the future. I will also add the de-attachable fittings you have so I can change coils.

I was a pain to make Mads modifications so be able to mount the coil on the under side of the circuit. The screws to the mount where soldered with heaps of solder. My regular weller station where not up to the task of heating enough to melt all solder at once. I sucked it away and later on used my stained glass solder station and it made all the difference.

At one spot I feel like it is really small separation from the coil mount to the next path. As you can see in the attach picture that ends with 104.

My amp meter says the voltage is 53,5v which makes me thinking that either the server driver is putting out to much or the amp meter is not calibrated. I have not checked it out with multimeter yet. But is will probably show me which of them is right.

The power supply fore the fans was a bit weak to drive fans, pump and 3 temp meters. It becomes a bit hot and I have to find a new that's up for the task.

Otherwise it work. It makes square tube red hot in a few seconds (actually 10+ or so). So I am quite happy with the setup. I will try it for the real tasks in a week or so.

Thanks again guys!    🌹

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Thank you for the feedback.
  Looks like you are off to a really good start!

Offline thewindowguy

• View Profile
I could not, even if my life depend on it, find fittings for anything thing smaller than 10mm.

It seams like the only business that uses 6mm (1/4 inch) are hydraulics. And most of it is not corrosion protected. I ended up with aluminum fittings used for racing.

After returning home it dawn on me, will it work with electricity. I know that aluminum is conductive, but I have no idea how the finish, mixing with copper and dc will effect the setup.

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile

Refrigeration and air conditioning companies seem to use these fittings.
I convert my systems to 1/4" OD copper tubing and fittings for that exact reason.  (I am in the USA)

Offline tarak

• View Profile
Re: Help for people buying the "12-48 Volt 1800/2500 Watt ZVS induction Heater"
« Reply #426 on: October 27, 2023, 07:29:26 AM »
hi again  just checking in, these heaters bought from china seem to have a lot of problems, I had problems and also found the china chip for the fans was wrong I did replace it with the higher voltage one still had problems, so I started testing with some heavy DC batteries starting with 24vDC. however could not get the unit to oscillate.
the main problem from the the unit was delivered in England and was dropped over an 8ft gate onto concrete,  I told them what happened, and like one of you other members had the same off 5pound so after some real hard words with amazon and the 'so called maker' I got told by amazon they would refund my money all of it, the 'maker' told me to keep the unit. as a tech I inspected it but there was cracked board. These boards are double layers no easy to trace and so no circuit. bottom line we stripped it saved what we could and we started to put a circuit together from what could be seen. still had a problem with it no oscillating.  the I had to return to Australia.
I suggested we look at this for anther way to use it for the shed heating, using the water radiators that they use there. I decided to stop relying of the 'self' oscillating and drive it with an SG3525. so thats where I am at the moment, me in Australia and my brother in England, we needed the shed warmed up as we were working on a new project for home power generation. Its dam cold in the winter there so the 'shed heater' project was started. there was on guy  actually use the 'radiator' clip on unit so I thought why not. winter coming up again over there so I have to try and get it to work. lets see if any one else is interested 

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 27, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about all of your troubles.
From what you have written, it appears that you did not get a replacement board from the maker.  So you attempted to build the circuit from scratch using that mosfet driver.   The actual circuit that those heaters usually use is  shown about 1/3 of the way down this page,if you are interested:
https://spaco.org/Blacksmithing/ZVSInductionHeater/1000WattZVSInductionHeaterNotes.htm

I don't understand why you would want to go to all the trouble of using an induction heater to heat a shed (by heating water?) or to heat any space at all.   A watt is a watt.  If electricity is your only power source, why not simply use a resistive element or an off-the-shelf electric space heater instead?

Offline tarak

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2023, 04:04:48 AM »
hi,   ' I don't understand why you would want to go to all the trouble of using an induction heater to heat a shed (by heating water?) or to heat any space at all.   A watt is a watt.  If electricity is your only power source, why not simply use a resistive element or an off-the-shelf electric space heater instead?'
 to help you understand, most houses in England are heated by a closed circuit hot water radiators. my brother had a spare one, so we looked at using that to heat the shed as a test unit.  the water 'boilers' are what is an instant flow though gas heated system. two inputs, one for the heating and one for hot water. England want to force people to go to a heat pump, shit house, or electric. There is a replacement that you can get that uses induction heat circuit. so we though why not build one for the shed. The problem as I have said the unit was damaged, so I took it apart saved what I could, the circuit show above in the part, was ok but the 'mosfets there were four, not two as shown. so I did for a start use just the two, but this royer circuit relies on one switching on first. This was not happening, so both on at a time, but I had a ammeter in the output, so on with on, with finger on the off switch, so if the current went quickly to much we turned off. hence the using a two output to switch with a dead time. If you try to use the inverter circuits most use the 12v to drive a transformer, push pull to get a high voltage output. the problem with most driver circuits, they do not have a 12v output to drive the gates, usually only five volts. I also have gone over to use IGBT's. the SG3525 it one but again only 5v out. I did did another switching circuit, this drove the IGBT's this was for another job, the problem is with having a driver to drive the IGBT's there become a problem switching at high speed, the time lag from one to another all gets out of sync.  so just use electric heaters?? have you seen the price of the gas and power there? induction is cheaper to run. I think. So the testing goes on.

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 24, 2023, 06:40:13 AM »
induction is cheaper to run. I think.
No.  I tell you again:  A watt is a watt.  You will gain nothing for all your trouble.  In fact, if you intend to use the device to heat water, you will waste power in your power supply and in circuit losses that wiil NOT heat your water.

If your goal is to heat the water in an existing system, you can use inline electric water heaters like this one:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/kat-s-circulating-tank-heater/0000000047511?Ntt=005101472&gad_source=1
I am certain that there are MANY similar heaters like this available all around the world, and they won't require any ancillary equipment or electronics.

Offline klugesmith

• High Voltage Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 24, 2023, 11:57:26 PM »
Came to agree with Pete: a watt is a watt.   
For heating a shed, plain old resistance heater will be as efficient as any induction heater.

Heat pumps were mentioned, and they _can_ heat water or room air more efficiently than electrical resistance.
Hence promotion of heat pumps by governments, even over heaters that burn natural gas.

[off topic] Gas is much too cheap, because of free-market policies that don't adequately account for depletion of national reserves and costs of climate change.  100 years from now, it may seem bewildering that reserves built up over 100s of millions of years were consumed in a century or two, mostly to be burned for heat!

Offline petespaco

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Just rambling a bit-----
5 years ago I ran some experiments to help gun owners who reload their spent shells to be able to anneal the necks of their brass cartridge casings.  Now, 5 years later, I still get frequent feedback and questions about using the 1000 watt ZVS Induction heater to do this job.
(The "secret", by the way, is to use a 5/8" ID work coil of 3 layers and 3 turns, from 1/8" diameter copper tubing).
I love the way this forum and the internet/youtube work(s) to learn things and to provide information to others.
Sure helps to keep this old mind active.
As they say "Use it or Lose it".

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

High Voltage Forum

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Tesla Coil Show Controller Project
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
Cameron Prince
Today at 06:44:35 AM
post I encountered a problem using GaN for ClassE
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
曹靖
Today at 04:12:30 AM
post Re: p-p rms or peek
thedoc298
July 23, 2024, 11:12:21 PM
drobotk
July 23, 2024, 03:29:44 PM
post Re: Making a HV prove
[Electronic Circuits]
Alberto
July 23, 2024, 09:04:26 AM
flyingperson23
July 23, 2024, 01:52:21 AM
post p-p rms or peek
thedoc298
July 22, 2024, 11:13:57 PM
post Re: Is a 60UF 800VDC Dawncap good for an induction heater?
[General Chat]
Anders Mikkelsen
July 22, 2024, 01:41:33 PM
post Re: Measuring 2000+ Amps DC to the Hundredths Place in the 50's and 60's.
[General Chat]
Patrick
July 22, 2024, 06:22:17 AM
post Re: DRSSTC arc extinguishing controller
曹靖
July 22, 2024, 02:52:59 AM
post Re: FIRST DRSSTC SKM400GB128D OCD SETTING
flyingperson23
July 21, 2024, 11:24:34 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
July 21, 2024, 11:12:18 PM
post Re: DRSSTC arc extinguishing controller
Mads Barnkob
July 21, 2024, 08:21:43 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
TizianoBll
July 21, 2024, 07:56:12 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC Build- Issues with Fibernet project
TMaxElectronics
July 21, 2024, 07:29:29 PM
Alex_1996
July 21, 2024, 06:23:19 PM
[General Chat]
yourboi
July 20, 2024, 08:37:03 PM
[General Chat]
davekni
July 20, 2024, 08:03:19 PM
[General Chat]
yourboi
July 20, 2024, 06:43:12 PM
post DRSSTC arc extinguishing controller
曹靖
July 20, 2024, 04:46:05 AM
[General Chat]
klugesmith
July 20, 2024, 04:30:21 AM
[General Chat]
Patrick
July 20, 2024, 01:22:05 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
July 19, 2024, 08:26:43 PM
post Whirlpools, Black Holes, Event Horizon and Not At All The Same?
[Science, Research and News In Other Fields Than Electronics]
Mads Barnkob
July 19, 2024, 02:17:33 PM
post Measuring 2000+ Amps DC to the Hundredths Place in the 50's and 60's.
[General Chat]
Patrick
July 19, 2024, 09:18:12 AM
post Re: DRSSTC with litz-wire primary and 40 x TO247 IGBT H-Bridge
davekni
July 18, 2024, 07:47:24 PM
post Re: Syntherrupter Lightsaber Sender Programming
[Computers, Microcontrollers, Programmable Logic, Interfaces and Displays]
Max
July 18, 2024, 06:05:22 PM
post Re: 8kW CW DRSSTC driven by ZVS (Mazzilli) oscillator
davekni
July 18, 2024, 06:35:05 AM
davekni
July 18, 2024, 05:43:53 AM
klugesmith
July 17, 2024, 11:38:27 PM
Anders Mikkelsen
July 17, 2024, 01:49:59 PM
post Re: Restoring a Rogowski coil calibrator
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
July 17, 2024, 05:24:19 AM
[Capacitor Banks]
davekni
July 17, 2024, 05:04:38 AM
davekni
July 17, 2024, 04:28:40 AM
post 8kW CW DRSSTC driven by ZVS (Mazzilli) oscillator
davekni
July 17, 2024, 04:23:46 AM
post Re: QCWDRSSTC - Project Build
Anders Mikkelsen
July 17, 2024, 01:31:56 AM
post Re: QCW power draw
Anders Mikkelsen
July 16, 2024, 11:13:42 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Alberto
July 16, 2024, 09:00:06 PM
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
July 16, 2024, 08:44:20 PM
post QCW power draw
flyingperson23
July 16, 2024, 04:37:48 PM
post Lord Kelvin's Water Dropper Fountain
[Static Electricity]
Coupling
July 16, 2024, 03:31:38 PM
post Re: Running a Large DRSSTC at 100kHz
Coupling
July 16, 2024, 03:22:09 PM
ZakW
July 16, 2024, 05:40:41 AM
davekni
July 16, 2024, 03:07:36 AM
Coupling
July 16, 2024, 02:18:25 AM
flyingperson23
July 16, 2024, 02:02:35 AM
Coupling
July 16, 2024, 01:37:14 AM
davekni
July 16, 2024, 12:29:08 AM
davekni
July 15, 2024, 11:59:51 PM
ZakW
July 15, 2024, 11:53:05 PM
flyingperson23
July 15, 2024, 11:32:14 PM
post Re: Strange QCW Streamer Behavior
Mads Barnkob
July 15, 2024, 09:36:08 PM
Mads Barnkob
July 15, 2024, 09:28:58 PM
Mads Barnkob
July 15, 2024, 09:26:42 PM
Mads Barnkob
July 15, 2024, 09:20:18 PM
ZakW
July 15, 2024, 08:51:04 PM
flyingperson23
July 15, 2024, 08:39:07 PM
post Running a Large DRSSTC at 100kHz
Coupling
July 15, 2024, 04:45:46 PM
Anders Mikkelsen
July 15, 2024, 03:06:30 PM
NyaaX_X
July 15, 2024, 03:03:26 PM
ZakW
July 15, 2024, 12:18:14 AM
flyingperson23
July 14, 2024, 10:49:31 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
TizianoBll
July 14, 2024, 10:47:50 PM
ZakW
July 14, 2024, 10:21:40 PM
flyingperson23
July 14, 2024, 10:00:51 PM
ZakW
July 14, 2024, 09:09:17 PM
davekni
July 14, 2024, 06:03:07 AM
post Re: Problem with SSTC
davekni
July 14, 2024, 05:36:30 AM
Nunu00
July 14, 2024, 01:32:03 AM
davekni
July 13, 2024, 10:44:55 PM
Nunu00
July 13, 2024, 10:09:06 PM
davekni
July 13, 2024, 09:58:54 PM
Nunu00
July 13, 2024, 08:30:11 PM
davekni
July 13, 2024, 07:07:03 PM
Nunu00
July 12, 2024, 10:17:36 PM
post Making a HV prove
[Electronic Circuits]
Alberto
July 12, 2024, 09:01:08 PM
davekni
July 12, 2024, 01:33:37 AM
Nunu00
July 12, 2024, 12:17:32 AM
[Capacitor Banks]
davekni
July 11, 2024, 07:38:26 PM
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
July 11, 2024, 06:30:00 PM
post LOD No Double Resonant SSTC?
ColinHeath
July 11, 2024, 06:08:30 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
July 11, 2024, 12:24:56 PM
davekni
July 11, 2024, 06:42:23 AM
post Re: Syntherrupter Lightsaber Sender Programming
Cameron Prince
July 11, 2024, 05:46:07 AM
post Syntherrupter Lightsaber Sender Programming
Cameron Prince
July 11, 2024, 05:26:51 AM
ZakW
July 11, 2024, 02:50:54 AM
post Strange QCW Streamer Behavior
Coupling
July 11, 2024, 12:59:55 AM
post Re: Help for people buying the "12-48 Volt 1800/2500 Watt ZVS induction Heater"
[Electronic Circuits]
petespaco
July 10, 2024, 07:10:34 PM
post Re: Understanding and tracking upper and lower poles of QCW DRSSTC
flyingperson23
July 10, 2024, 06:52:42 PM
post Re: Understanding and tracking upper and lower poles of QCW DRSSTC
Anders Mikkelsen
July 10, 2024, 06:28:19 PM
Alex_1996
July 10, 2024, 01:34:09 PM
post Re: Silicon(e) plasma
[General Chat]
alan sailer
July 10, 2024, 12:09:06 AM
Nunu00
July 09, 2024, 11:52:00 PM
post Understanding and tracking upper and lower poles of QCW DRSSTC
Simranjit
July 09, 2024, 07:37:22 PM
post Re: Silicon(e) plasma
[General Chat]
MechatEng2023
July 09, 2024, 07:30:05 PM
post Re: UD2.7C outputs very odd single square wave pulses
flyingperson23
July 09, 2024, 03:30:49 AM
verliebt_in_neukölln17
July 09, 2024, 12:51:02 AM
flyingperson23
July 08, 2024, 11:30:44 PM
post Re: Why so cheap?
[General Chat]
alan sailer
July 08, 2024, 10:57:10 PM
post UD2.7C outputs very odd single square wave pulses
verliebt_in_neukölln17
July 08, 2024, 10:21:01 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal