Author Topic: Syntherrupter - A Feature-rich, Polyphonic Interrupter  (Read 66224 times)

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Syntherrupter - A Feature-rich, Polyphonic Interrupter
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2021, 11:18:46 AM »
Looks nice! I like the idea of having switches to physically turn off outputs, maybe even add one master switch for all outputs?
Is the board designed to fit in particular enclosure?

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
  • "With the first link, the chain is forged. [...]"
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
Thanks! Good idea with the emergency switch. I also added the missing infos on the silkscreen. This layout is btw not suited for self-manufacturing since a couple holes need to be plated. If there's interest in such a version, I can try to make one.

No, it's not made for a particular enclosure. I designed the PCB "as compact as possible" and the next biggest size was 100x160mm which is a very common size (eurocard). Thus there should be many different enclosures available.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »
I like the idea of making it a PCB that the Tivo plugs into, I did not think of that!

I think some of your resistor values will need tweaking when running on 5V, I had to change some of my initial design as it was too high values for my LEDs, but yeah that differs from build to build what parts are used and how bright you want something to be that sits in a dark room.

You could add a row of pin headers for external interrupters and a DIP switch row to select which is used, might not be for everyone, but I am making that on my build. Since optical outputs are money, might as well make them useful in more ways :)

My final exam was Friday two days ago, im done with studying next work, which I have been doing for 3 years, so I can finally pick up on my DRSSTC show controller again :) https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1417.0
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2021, 12:12:07 AM »
I can see how having the option of an external interrupter could be handy... However, I don't think it needs these changes. I'll add a high-impedance mode in software, turning the output pins into inputs, then you can connect your external interrupter directly to the pin header on the Tiva board itself.

Could you be a bit more specific about the resistors? Here are my calculations behind the values:
560R base resistor: Desired base current: 5mA. (3.3V_pin_high - 0.6V_base) / 5mA = 540R
68R IR transmitter: Desired LED current: 40mA (nominal current: 60mA). (5V - 1.7V_f - 0.6V_ce) / 40mA = 68R
270R LED resistor: Desired LED current: 10mA. (5V - 2V_f - 0.6V_ce) / 10mA = 240R
Actually, I could change the 270R for a 220R; getting rid of one resistor value since 220R resistors are required for the MIDI In/Out circuit anyways.

I added a pin header for a MIDI Out port which might be used in future. I also added the footprint for one of these generic SD card breakout boards.

Congrats for your exams!

Kind regards,
Max
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:17:08 AM by Max »

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2021, 01:22:10 AM »
Hello everyone,

I took a little break from the PCB design and worked on an issue Syntherrupter basically has since the day it learned playing more than one note at the same time. So far the generation of the output signal happens in real time: if (time > notePeriod): generateOntime(); (overly simplified, but enough to get the idea). The big issue is that any sort of processing elsewhere in the code always has a direct impact on the output. You can test it in the current beta; every sysex command you send to Syntherrupter will cause a short pause in the output. On a smaller timescale, the regular processing which only takes 30-70us is already too much jitter in the output. This is especially noticeable in simple mode. If you play around for a bit you'll for sure find frequencies that sound "not-so-clean" or straight out awful. There's also a limit in how high you can go in the frequency before that blocking limits you.
Oh, and a third issue: if 30us are already too much time, I can't really write "heavy" code (one of the reasons why I haven't touched SD cards and file systems; there may be blocking operations...).

So far for the status quo. I've had a lot of thoughts for how to solve this, including Netzpfuschers suggestion to switch to FreeRTOS. However, FreeRTOS can't solve the blocking and is by far not fast/efficient enough to handle the signal generation via tasks. From all I could find it operates with >=1 millisecond of resolution which is not suitable at all if 30us jitter/delay are already too much. It may make some things easier but it won't solve this issue.
Another idea was to somehow limit the processing to the time after an ontime where it would be the least likely to delay another ontime. However, that doesn't work anymore as soon as you have more than one note.
I also tried to enforce the output generation via fast, periodic interrupts, and that failed greatly. Either the frequency is so low that it sounds like crap, or it is so high that I'm running out of CPU time.

For a while now I've been thinking that buffering is pretty much the only reasonable option. Over the last few weeks I've been working on a buffered solution and now I can say with some confidence that it looks very good. At first I tried to implement ping pong buffers but that didn't quite work. Therefore I switched to one FIFO buffer which works very well so far. When previously the jitter was in the order of tens of microseconds (and well audible), it is now in the tens of nanoseconds range - or in other words: it couldn't be any better. Not only is the jitter gone, sysex processing doesn't cause stuttering anymore either. Currently I'm buffering for 5ms which should be short enough to not be audible. The buffer time will be adjustable through sysex.
Btw: someone mentioned that buffering will take more CPU time than the previous real time solution. And he's absolutely right. The signal generation part is easily twice as complex now. However, I'm nowhere near stressing out the CPU - or in other words, buffering frees up more CPU time than it eats away.

While this is great (and long overdue), there are still issues and glitches I need to track down. I can't tell you when I can release it but the current progress shows that it's feasible so it will be released one day...

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Georgios

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »
3 Coils

Offline SimonNwardUK

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2021, 11:21:53 AM »
Hi Max

I see an SD card Image  ;D Does this mean we can Eventually read a Midi file from the SD and then play through syntherrupter as a standalone unit?  ;) ;)

Just a quick Question as I've looked on the wiki and cant find anything resembling what I'm looking for, I have a Midi enabled keyboard that i can connect directly to sytherrupter in Live mode (using the DIN socket), Everything works brilliantly and the coil sounds really nice but..  the keyboard outputs velocity sensitive keystrokes and i cant disable it on the keyboard and this caught me out which caused my coil to do a heavy ground strike although looked awesum at the time, i want to avoid hitting the ocd often if i can when playing midi so is there something i can change to get a fixed velocity value? its probably there just haven't found it yet.

Thanks

Sy

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
Hi Simon,

The SD card is a planned feature for the future (to be understood as maybe in a year). First I need to get these damn buffered outputs working - and they‘re causing me quite some headaches. They work fine 90% of the time - and the other 10% have been a nightmare to debug.

As for the velocity and the keyboard, the short answer is, no, there‘s currently no option for fixed velocity. However, there are a couple other options. First a quick note how the ontime is calculated:
finalOntime = note.velocity * channel.expression * channel.volume * note.envelope * ontimePreset

Channel expression is used for nuances (crescendo, piano, forte, etc). Channel volume is used to control the volume of the channel - both have the same effect but they’re independent controllers (abd shouldn‘t be mixed). Ontime preset is what you set in MIDI Live Mode on the touch screen.

With this in mind you got a couple options:
  • Adjust the ontime and duty settings on your touch screen. Maybe try a different balance between both?
  • Some keyboards have the ability to change the channel volume (possibly buried somewhere in the settings)
  • Don‘t forget about the coil limits. They‘re exactly for what you describe; make sure the ontime or duty doesn‘t exceed certain limits.
In a future version I could for sure add a sysex command for constant volume if there‘s a need.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2021, 12:23:11 PM »
Hi Max

finally some feedback from me, playing midis posted by Georgios. Two coils each playing one channel sounds spectacular!

I had problem with "karusel RUSSIA" midi which wouldn't produce sparks, I didn't have the oscilloscope to check why. Georgios played the midi on his coil and it sounds excellent

I planned to test it further, however secondary of bigger coil fried itself beyond repair

I suspect the alkyd coil varnish caused the failure, it's not designed for this purpose and it was too thin (two coats if I remember correctly). When I tried to add more coats previous cured varnish started to dissolve. This time I'll use polyurethane varnish and see how it goes

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2021, 01:52:09 AM »
@futurist: Thanks for the videos! Sounds good! Unfortunately it's not clear to me why the other MIDI wouldn't work... especially since Gergios didn't have those issues(?). I might look at it in more detail at a later point.

Today I fixed a few bugs, implemented some ideas for improving the buffering and somehow they seem to work now. Or let's say I haven't yet found a MIDI file that causes glitches or other issues. I guess this doesn't come across but I am really, really happy about this :D
Sooo... I recorded a quick demo. Pirates of the Carribean, the most furious piano edition I know. Links are below. MIDI file is a 1:1 representation of the original piano performance (including pedal!). No modifications have been made to the file. Settings (identical for all outputs):
Envelope Nr. 10 (realistic piano)
100us note ontime
0% note duty
0us min ontime
0us min offtime
1000us max ontime
25% max duty
16 voices per output
all 6 outputs enabled (1 recorded)
10ms buffering

As I said, it's a furious piece of music so the 16 voice limit per output is pretty much all the time maxed out. That makes for about 100 simultaneous voices - and there's still CPU time left!
Demo Recording
Original Piano Performance

Still some cleaning to do in the code but a release should follow soon.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2021, 02:36:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

After some more bugfixes I feel comfortable enough to release the new work. Note that some of these bugs have been around for quite some time. The buffering aside, there are some new, useful sysex commands. Details as always in the release notes and the wiki.

Current release: https://github.com/MMMZZZZ/Syntherrupter/releases

Regards,
Max

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »
Based on the recent demo recordings I decided to make a quick QA post about envelopes

Envelopes - What's the point?

Many people seem to underestimate the benefits of envelopes (ADSR). Take the MIDI file of the following piano performance:

There's a lot of pedal, lots of repetitive notes. With a "classic" Interrupter (let's just assume it could handle that many voices), you'd easily spent hours to remove all pedal commands from the MIDI file and shorten all the notes to make them more distinguishable. Why? Because otherwise it sounds like this:
Pirates of the Carribean - No Envelope
You can't distinguish one note from another because they're all the same constant volume. Beginning, ending - all one level. Repetitive notes thus merge into one long note. Pedal is completely unusable because the notes don't fade out. Too many notes at the same time and same volume simply becomes a cacophony.

However, with only two clicks in any MIDI player I can change the instrument and select the piano envelope of Syntherrupter. This envelope has been made based on the recordings of a piano and thus has similar characteristics. Even the pedal - which is hard to get right - sounds good.
Pirates of the Carribean - With Envelope
Edit: The behavior at 1:38 (beginning of the glissando is missing) could be a bug or a combination of the envelope and the voice limit. As you can see, there‘s always room for improvements ;)

Try it out!

Max
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:21:50 PM by Max »

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2021, 01:46:14 AM »
@futurist: Thanks for making the post sticky.

Today I got my mini tesla orchestra working (though "only" with 4 out of 6 coils). While playing with it (and really enjoying the stereo capabilities), I repeatedly had to reset my Syntherrupter because one of the outputs would more or less randomly stop working. During the last recording of the day it also started to skip half of the notes.
Obviously I'll investigate the issue. I just wanted to notify everyone before you update. The release notes already contain a warning.

Here's a little preview of the orchestra. Since the sparks are only 1-2cm long they're almost not visible in the video. And I can't put the coils closer together because they interfere with each other.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
I got mine up and running with speakers on the 6 outputs, yesterday evening and its a pretty big mouthful to get it all right and to some kind of baseline/default where it acts like I thought it would.

First thing was I could not find the midi channel settings per coil, since I was looking in the wrong part of the documentation :) Maybe a settings button underneath each coil activate button instead? I would also wish for a "midi signal" status blinker on the live midi mode page, just for trouble shooting between pc, syntherrupter and output modules. It would also give some more life to the very static page, when playing MIDI, you got no idea if its playing or not :)

I guess I can just contribute to the documentation on github? I think the PC MIDI setup chapter that you put out in the "front" readme, needs some more integration into the main documentation.

All channels activated for all coils as default, also had me confused, because that sounds very weird and wrong the first time you just try to play a midi. Maybe add new defaults that is just channel 1 to coil 1, 2 to 2 etc.?

Thanks for the explanation on envelopes and demonstration, it really shows how powerful a feature it is.

Did I miss the "omni-mode" somewhere? I thought it could auto-assign midi channels according to active coils and also just randomly choose them? I might remember completely wrong.

As you can see, most of my comments are cosmetics on the UI and documentation, you are doing a great job!

I will admit that the learning curve seems steep, especially with SysEx, envelopes and such, but I hope it will soon make more sense and the prepared midi files on PC for a certain coil setup can just be played and all settings for the coils, channel assignment and such is in the files.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »
Hi Mads and thanks for the constructive feedback!

Before I get to your feedback a quick update about my work: I found one major bug that caused the missing notes. However, it had nothing to do with the buffering. It was actually a rather old bug in the stereo processing that somehow never caused me any noticesble trouble before. Now that this is fixed it seems to be quite a bit better. Most of my issues now come from the mini teslas which are quite hard to control actually. However, I‘m still not convinced Syntherrupter works as it should… hopefully a couple more hours of debugging help resolving this. 
This btw also means that the v4.2.0-beta.4 release isn‘t as flawed as I thought.

And now for the feedback:
Maybe a settings button underneath each coil activate button instead?
The double outlined buttons are used in more places. For that reason it‘s explained on the Help and Info page. I thought about showing that one the first time Syntherrupter‘s started but never got to the implementation.
I could for sure add separate buttons in every case but it would make the UI quite a bit more complicated and probably much less clean (this is especially true for the Coil Settings page which is pretty well filled).

I would also wish for a "midi signal" status blinker on the live midi mode page, just for trouble shooting between pc, syntherrupter and output modules. It would also give some more life to the very static page, when playing MIDI, you got no idea if its playing or not :)
I know the UI is very static. This is because the Nextion commands for controlling the UI from the Tiva sideare quite expensive (string based). With the buffered outputs and an optimized serial library I might get it to work. However, I‘d much prefer tossing out the Nextion protocol entirely and replacing it by something custom. Both cases require quite some work to do so it‘s not for anytime soon. Actually, getting live readouts was a feature I planned for Syntherrupter 2 only. We shall see…
Til then I‘d suggest to just hook an LED (with resistor) between 3.3V and the serial line.

At this point I realize a little troubleshooting guide could be nice. Here‘s the thing with hairless MIDI Serial: there‘s only one case I‘ve ever seen where it doesn‘t work and that‘s when the serial port disappears for some amount of time or becomes unavailable (f.ex. disconnect and reconnect the cable) in that case it still shows it‘d send stuff but if you disable and reenable the serial bridge you‘ll see that it actually doesn‘t send anything to the port. You need to restart it.
Other than that you can be about 99.x% sure that if hairless midi serial shows it sent data to Syntherrupter, it did - and Syntherrupter actually received it.
Btw in hairless midi serial you can activate the logging window and see what midi commands are sent to the port. Can be handy.

I guess I can just contribute to the documentation on github? I think the PC MIDI setup chapter that you put out in the "front" readme, needs some more integration into the main documentation.
Any contribution is more than welcome! :)

All channels activated for all coils as default, also had me confused, because that sounds very weird and wrong the first time you just try to play a midi. Maybe add new defaults that is just channel 1 to coil 1, 2 to 2 etc.?
I had my 4 mini teslas play the same channels now a couple time; didn‘t sound weird and wrong to me…? Or did you just forward all channels to Syntherrupter? In a complex MIDI file this is likely way too much (and would explain your description). However, that‘s not a good idea to begin with. You should only pass the channels to Syntherrupter you want it to play. There‘s no point in loading it with additional channels that are „muted“. Even if they‘re not audible Syntherrupter needs to keep track of all the volume, pitchbend, envelopes, etc in case you activate the channel again.
That aside I wanted to have a configuration that‘s guaranteed to work - for which I really can’t see an alternative. I‘d expect many more people to be confused if one channel works and another one doesn‘t (f.ex. chn 1 and 13).

Did I miss the "omni-mode" somewhere? I thought it could auto-assign midi channels according to active coils and also just randomly choose them? I might remember completely wrong.
The stereo mapping features - which includes omni mode - is really the most hard to use feature of Syntherrupter*. First of all, omni mode only makes sense if you have stereo enabled. Quick recap: in stereo mode, every note has a position on the stereo scale. Every coil has a position, too, and it only plays the notes within its reach. Syntherrupter got a couple festures for making melodies move around across the stereo range (and thus across different coils) but you don’t always want that. Since every note has a precise position, you can’t really play it on multiple coils equally anymore. That’s where omni mode enters the game: if a MIDI channel is put into omni mode it doesn’t have a stereo position anymore but is „everywhere“ - thus can be played by all coils „normally“ again (as if no stereo stuff was enabled).
This probably sounded way more complicated than it is so let me try to do a tldr: omni mode disables stereo mapping for a given channel. That‘s it.

*that‘s because there‘s no easy to use UI or tool for it. You have to embed the raw commands into your MIDI file or send them to the MIDI port. With Synthfont it‘s actually not too hard to embed the commands but I understand that‘s a too steep lesrning curve for most people.

I will admit that the learning curve seems steep, especially with SysEx, envelopes and such, but I hope it will soon make more sense and the prepared midi files on PC for a certain coil setup can just be played and all settings for the coils, channel assignment and such is in the files.
Syex might be a lot to begin with but when you‘re using Syfoh (and it‘s really the only practicable way to use sysex), it‘s basically just a command line interface for Syntherrupter - no more no less.
As for the envelopes I have to admit I really can‘t figure out what‘s so hard about using it. I‘m not talking about making your own envelopes or understanding how the envelopes themself work. I‘m just talking about the „high level“ concept of „you can change the instrument“ from „pizzicato strings“ to „piano“ or „electric guitarre“ or „slow strings“. The only confusing thing here is that syntherrupters instruments don’t match the instrument names in pretty much any MIDI player (syntherrupters piano sound f.ex. is MIDI program 10, called Music Box). Maybe someone can help me understand the issues better; I‘d really like to.

Don‘t mind about embedding the sysex commands into your midi file. I mean, yes, it could be done but the advantage over a simple text file that Syfoh sends to Syntherrupter is close to none - and much easier to use and modify at the same time.

Edit: as an example I attached such a sysex batch file which did the entire setup of Syntherrupter for playing my Final Countdown MIDI file (I just power on Syntherrupter; no interaction with the touchscreen is required). All it takes is one call of Syfoh.py and I'm ready to go. Ontimes, channel assignments, stereo positions - everything.

Windows command line for running Syfoh (sending all the data to MIDI port nr. 1 which happens to be loopmidi)
Code: [Select]
python Syfoh.py -m mid -p 1 -i "D:\Syntherrupter Setup for Final Countdown.txt"
Content of the text file:
### Syntherrupter Sysex commands for mini orchestra
### Final Countdown.

# Setup stuff
set ui-update to manual
set mode-enable for mode all to 0
set coil-buffer-time to 10000

# Coil settings and limits
set coil-max-duty for coil all to 0.2
set coil-min-offtime for coil all to 0
set coil-min-ontime for coil 1 to 40
set coil-min-ontime for coil 2 to 15
set coil-min-ontime for coil 3 to 35
set coil-min-ontime for coil 4 to 10
set coil-midi-voices for coil all to 16

set duty for mode midi-live and coil all to 0.03
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 1 to 200
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 2 to 300
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 3 to 200
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 4 to 200

set mode-enable for mode midi-live to 1

# Distribute 4 coils across the stereo range
set midi-pan-cfg for coil all to linear
set midi-pan-reach for coil all to 0.333
set midi-pan-pos for coil 1 to 0.0
set midi-pan-pos for coil 2 to 0.333
set midi-pan-pos for coil 3 to 0.667
set midi-pan-pos for coil 4 to 0.999

# Assign channels to outputs
set coil-channels for coil 1 to 0b00011000000
set coil-channels for coil 2 to 0b00010000001
set coil-channels for coil 3 to 0b00010000010
set coil-channels for coil 4 to 0b10010000000

Kind regards,
Max
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:10:11 PM by Max »

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »
Sorry for spamming y'all with posts.

New release, bugs fixed. Actually, only one bug's been introduced with the previous beta, all other bugs were around for much longer. Details as always in the release notes.
Get v4.2.0-beta.5: https://github.com/MMMZZZZ/Syntherrupter/releases/

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mathieu

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
Hi Max, and all other contributors to this topic,

Couldn't help myself, seeing the syntherrupter is wanting to build one. Kuddo's for this great project!

Last week my TJC8048X570_011R screen arrived. Connecting it to 5V supply showed the off-factory test HMI. Hurray  :)
I used the v4.1.4 version for the Tiva, since this was the first release with the tft-files for this screen. MicroSD update and screen responded with "Upgrade successed", so that raised the expectations considerably. After connecting it to Tiva however the screen remained dark.

Checking the Tiva without the screen using the debug mode in the Nexion Editor, but only for v4.1.3 (editor 1.61.1). This worked!
Testing with 4.1.4 and editor 1.62.1 was not possible because I was not able to find the local zip file for this editor version. The link in the wiki refers to a 404.
Next available editor version 1.63.3, but I guess that the tft files in the syntherrupter releases are made with 1.62.1 and are not compatible with the newer editor?
The next tests were with the Chinese USART HMI editor (1.63.3). In this one I could open the TJC tft's for the X-series, trying to open the TJC K- and T- series were met with an "invalid file" message. However trying to use the debug mode and see if Tiva would interact with the virtual HMI was similar to the first attempt, the virtual screen also remained dark.
With the USART HMI editor I can update the screen, so the serial comm seems to work.

Could this problem be related to the tft file for tjc x-series screens?

Mathieu

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »

It‘s been a long week for me and quite a few things happened. The short overview: to my greatest annoyance the latest release (v4.2.0-beta.5) has at least one crucial (and new) bug. I had a demo this weekend and was forced to switch between beta4 and beta5 depending on what midi I played…
I also got some videos done with my big tesla coil. I had a big bang, repaired it (at least I thought), it worked again, but only for a short time, then I noticed sparks (!) around the busbars. My backup plan, the mini tesla coils, decided to not produce any reasonable output for about 10mins and then finally started to work. The kids were quite amazed with what they got to see (which were only the mini tesla coils) so I guess it‘s still kind of a win. Nonetheless I‘m quite annoyed that nothing (!) of what I had prepared worked as intended.
As I said, some loong days.

I have sort of a suspicion where the bug in the latest release comes from. If that suspicion is true, it‘ll be an easy fix. Otherwise it‘s going to be another long day. In any case I won‘t be able to look at it til end of september.

@Mathieu:
After connecting it to Tiva however the screen remained dark.

Checking the Tiva without the screen using the debug mode in the Nexion Editor, but only for v4.1.3 (editor 1.61.1). This worked!
This sounds like you got the serial connections between the Tiva microcontroller and the Nextion display somehow wrong. The good news is that apparently you flashed everything correctly.

I know about the missing nextion editor versions - it‘s annoying but I can‘t fix it anytime soon. Shouldn’t be a problem for you though because - as I said - you likely have an issue with your wiring.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that. What happened to your coil?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »

Maybe a settings button underneath each coil activate button instead?
The double outlined buttons are used in more places. For that reason it‘s explained on the Help and Info page. I thought about showing that one the first time Syntherrupter‘s started but never got to the implementation.
I could for sure add separate buttons in every case but it would make the UI quite a bit more complicated and probably much less clean (this is especially true for the Coil Settings page which is pretty well filled).

I would also wish for a "midi signal" status blinker on the live midi mode page, just for trouble shooting between pc, syntherrupter and output modules. It would also give some more life to the very static page, when playing MIDI, you got no idea if its playing or not :)
I know the UI is very static. This is because the Nextion commands for controlling the UI from the Tiva sideare quite expensive (string based). With the buffered outputs and an optimized serial library I might get it to work. However, I‘d much prefer tossing out the Nextion protocol entirely and replacing it by something custom. Both cases require quite some work to do so it‘s not for anytime soon. Actually, getting live readouts was a feature I planned for Syntherrupter 2 only. We shall see…
Til then I‘d suggest to just hook an LED (with resistor) between 3.3V and the serial line.

At this point I realize a little troubleshooting guide could be nice. Here‘s the thing with hairless MIDI Serial: there‘s only one case I‘ve ever seen where it doesn‘t work and that‘s when the serial port disappears for some amount of time or becomes unavailable (f.ex. disconnect and reconnect the cable) in that case it still shows it‘d send stuff but if you disable and reenable the serial bridge you‘ll see that it actually doesn‘t send anything to the port. You need to restart it.
Other than that you can be about 99.x% sure that if hairless midi serial shows it sent data to Syntherrupter, it did - and Syntherrupter actually received it.
Btw in hairless midi serial you can activate the logging window and see what midi commands are sent to the port. Can be handy.

Thanks for the clarifications. It all makes sense and it was just suggestions based on what I see. Its a complex software you have put up and even with the good wiki, we are not inside your head :)

Any contribution is more than welcome! :)

I tried my first github contribution, which also explains why you were after me for not writing a comment. I was not quite aware if it was submitted without pull request? This is my first time using github, so bare with me. I wanted to try something simple before editing large parts of the wiki.

I had my 4 mini teslas play the same channels now a couple time; didn‘t sound weird and wrong to me…? Or did you just forward all channels to Syntherrupter? In a complex MIDI file this is likely way too much (and would explain your description). However, that‘s not a good idea to begin with. You should only pass the channels to Syntherrupter you want it to play. There‘s no point in loading it with additional channels that are „muted“. Even if they‘re not audible Syntherrupter needs to keep track of all the volume, pitchbend, envelopes, etc in case you activate the channel again.
That aside I wanted to have a configuration that‘s guaranteed to work - for which I really can’t see an alternative. I‘d expect many more people to be confused if one channel works and another one doesn‘t (f.ex. chn 1 and 13).

You are right, I just loaded up a MIDI and pressed play. Break-the-build testing style! Maybe there is more to it, I do not have a video of this: deselect all channels for coil 1, select channel 1, press next, deselect all channels for coil 2, select channel 2, press next. Do this for all 6 coils. At the 6th coil, pressing next showed me coil 1, but with channel 16 selected as the only. Pressing next now showed coils 2 with 15, 3 with 14 and so on. Getting to the 6th coil and pressing next showed me channel 1 for coil 1. IS there really 12 pages or 6 pages? I can not see any difference, but the number of configured channels... :-[

The stereo mapping features - which includes omni mode - is really the most hard to use feature of Syntherrupter*. First of all, omni mode only makes sense if you have stereo enabled. Quick recap: in stereo mode, every note has a position on the stereo scale. Every coil has a position, too, and it only plays the notes within its reach. Syntherrupter got a couple festures for making melodies move around across the stereo range (and thus across different coils) but you don’t always want that. Since every note has a precise position, you can’t really play it on multiple coils equally anymore. That’s where omni mode enters the game: if a MIDI channel is put into omni mode it doesn’t have a stereo position anymore but is „everywhere“ - thus can be played by all coils „normally“ again (as if no stereo stuff was enabled).
This probably sounded way more complicated than it is so let me try to do a tldr: omni mode disables stereo mapping for a given channel. That‘s it.

*that‘s because there‘s no easy to use UI or tool for it. You have to embed the raw commands into your MIDI file or send them to the MIDI port. With Synthfont it‘s actually not too hard to embed the commands but I understand that‘s a too steep lesrning curve for most people.

Thanks for cutting it out in paper, I will leave it be until I master the other parts :)

Syex might be a lot to begin with but when you‘re using Syfoh (and it‘s really the only practicable way to use sysex), it‘s basically just a command line interface for Syntherrupter - no more no less.
As for the envelopes I have to admit I really can‘t figure out what‘s so hard about using it. I‘m not talking about making your own envelopes or understanding how the envelopes themself work. I‘m just talking about the „high level“ concept of „you can change the instrument“ from „pizzicato strings“ to „piano“ or „electric guitarre“ or „slow strings“. The only confusing thing here is that syntherrupters instruments don’t match the instrument names in pretty much any MIDI player (syntherrupters piano sound f.ex. is MIDI program 10, called Music Box). Maybe someone can help me understand the issues better; I‘d really like to.

Don‘t mind about embedding the sysex commands into your midi file. I mean, yes, it could be done but the advantage over a simple text file that Syfoh sends to Syntherrupter is close to none - and much easier to use and modify at the same time.

Edit: as an example I attached such a sysex batch file which did the entire setup of Syntherrupter for playing my Final Countdown MIDI file (I just power on Syntherrupter; no interaction with the touchscreen is required). All it takes is one call of Syfoh.py and I'm ready to go. Ontimes, channel assignments, stereo positions - everything.

Windows command line for running Syfoh (sending all the data to MIDI port nr. 1 which happens to be loopmidi)
python Syfoh.py -m mid -p 1 -i "D:\Syntherrupter Setup for Final Countdown.txt"
Content of the text file:
### Syntherrupter Sysex commands for mini orchestra
### Final Countdown.

# Setup stuff
set ui-update to manual
set mode-enable for mode all to 0
set coil-buffer-time to 10000

# Coil settings and limits
set coil-max-duty for coil all to 0.2
set coil-min-offtime for coil all to 0
set coil-min-ontime for coil 1 to 40
set coil-min-ontime for coil 2 to 15
set coil-min-ontime for coil 3 to 35
set coil-min-ontime for coil 4 to 10
set coil-midi-voices for coil all to 16

set duty for mode midi-live and coil all to 0.03
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 1 to 200
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 2 to 300
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 3 to 200
set ontime for mode midi-live and coil 4 to 200

set mode-enable for mode midi-live to 1

# Distribute 4 coils across the stereo range
set midi-pan-cfg for coil all to linear
set midi-pan-reach for coil all to 0.333
set midi-pan-pos for coil 1 to 0.0
set midi-pan-pos for coil 2 to 0.333
set midi-pan-pos for coil 3 to 0.667
set midi-pan-pos for coil 4 to 0.999

# Assign channels to outputs
set coil-channels for coil 1 to 0b00011000000
set coil-channels for coil 2 to 0b00010000001
set coil-channels for coil 3 to 0b00010000010
set coil-channels for coil 4 to 0b10010000000

Kind regards,
Max

Envelopes itself was only confusing, because I thought I had to configure them on the Syntherrupter. I understood it fine with names not fitting, but that it was instrument 0 to envelope 0. Part of this is also from just playing a MIDI without preparing channels, instruments or anything, as I wrote above. The demonstration in my latest project video should show it better? Did I explain it as it was intended to work?

Your syfoh sysex examples are great! From looking at the sysex documention, you should really add these examples, again it looks rather complex from all the formatting and explanation of the sysex package. Which confused me a bit before finding the tiny link to syfoh, that should be the first link in bold right after sysex headline :)

Bummer about your show and coils exploding, any graphic pictures to show in your DRSSTC thread?

You will properly fix all your bugs before I finish the 19" rack case, "only" projects left after audio inuts, safety and power supply.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal