Author Topic: Help an EE student  (Read 2384 times)

Offline ritaismyconscience

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
Help an EE student
« on: April 10, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »
Hi,
I'm going to college in a few months and I'm going to major in EE. I'm assuming a lot of people here are electrical engineers, and I'd like to know what courses to take and also about jobs. As you probably could guess, I'm interested in high power stuff, but I guess I'm not too bad at coding and other lower voltage stuff. Also, what are the newer and "hotter" fields in EE? (I'm guessing that things like quantum computing and fusion could become quite popular in a few years)

Offline Weston

• View Profile
Re: Help an EE student
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Its great to see another person getting in to EE through tesla coil stuff! I got into electronics in ~8th grade when I wanted to build my own tesla coil, now I am doing a PhD in power electronics.

EE is in many ways a tool to get other things done, everything needs EEs, so projects like a fusion reactor or some alternative energy project will hire a lot of general EEs in addition to people with domain specific backgrounds, like physicists or environmental engineers.

The answer to this is going to depend a fair amount on what country you live in, where you want to work afterwards, and what school you are going to go to (if you PM me the name of the school I can probably give you course recommendations and let you know if there are any power electronics faculty of note).

For your first few years you are probably mostly going to be taking intro classes. I would use this as a time to learn programming, embedded devices / IoT type things are a huge market and a large portion of jobs/internships will involve you doing at least some work programming microcontrollers in C.

Luckily for your interests, power electronics is really popular now due to electric vehicles, alternative energy projects, increased efficiency standards, and wide bandgap semiconductors (GaN/SiC). However, not all schools do a lot of work or offer many classes related to power electronics. Embedded devices / microcontroller stuff is probably one of the largest markets for new grads. Other that that biomedical stuff is popular nowdays. Crossing over to computer science, it would probably be useful to try to get at least some basic exposure to machine learning.

Also, you should probably try to do some research work under a professor at some point, a fair number of schools have programs for this. Its useful if you are considering doing a PhD / Masters degree, but beyond that its just a good experience in terms of seeing what is out there, working on something more complex than coursework offers, and making lasting connections with faculty.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
Go with what you enjoy and are excited about rather than whatever's "hot" at the moment.  The "hot" area will change over the years. Your passions may as well, but overall you'll be more productive when work is fun and exciting.

Focus on understanding the fundamentals.  A deep understanding of the underpinning principles is more valuable than details of the latest generation parts and designs.  Take as much physics as your schedule allows.  (My first degree is in physics.  IMHO it is better preparation for engineering than EE classes, especially since I also experimented with electronics before and during college.)

Your experience experimenting with electronics gives you a big advantage over most students starting with no experience, especially over those who chose EE just hoping it will pay well.

Have fun with "official" learning!  Of course, you are learning lots already.
David Knierim

Offline klugesmith

• High Voltage Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 08:26:41 PM »
This is to resurrect existing old thread, instead of adding clutter under the exact-copy OP of May 2024. https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=2977.msg21289#msg21289

Yes, what Dave said about learning physics.   I will add this caveat. 
In physics and introductory EE you will learn about electric current, which (in metals) comes from drift of unbound electrons.
There may be talk about the sign convention in EE being contrary to direction of electron motion.   Sometimes explained as "sign convention was chosen wrong in 18th century".   THE SIGN CONVENTION IS NOT WRONG!

When you get to learning EE, practice thinking of current as motion of conventional charge.  It's worked for hundreds of years.  You will slow yourself down if you cling too long to thinking in terms of electron motion (except when studying the internal workings of transistors etc.)
The original convention served well for development of batteries, circuit theory, units of measurement, telegraphy and telephony, electric vehicle systems in major cities, etc.  The electric utility "current war" had been won by three-phase AC before electrons were discovered and named by physicists.

Maybe that soapbox lecture is an old boomer thing.   People might be getting EE degrees today without being familiar with analog circuits or even current.   Yes, there's lots of work for "semiconductor engineers" in development of FPGA-ware and digital ASICs.  One could be productive even if one's view of the underlying hardware is limited to 1's and 0's and units of time, all modeled in verilog et al.   It's a shame when such work is classified as EE instead of coding.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 10:29:30 PM »
There may be talk about the sign convention in EE being contrary to direction of electron motion.   Sometimes explained as "sign convention was chosen wrong in 18th century".   THE SIGN CONVENTION IS NOT WRONG!
Convention isn't "wrong".  Sometimes primarily positive charges flow as in the electrolyte of lithium ion batteries, or a mix of positive and negative as in most aqueous electrolyte solutions.

When you get to learning EE, practice thinking of current as motion of conventional charge.
Interesting advice, perhaps useful for the majority of students.  I tend to think very physically and found the opposite true for me.  Especially with vacuum tube circuits, negative charge (electrons) flow through both the wires and the active devices (tubes).  I find it easier to think about electron flow, what is physically moving.  With semiconductor devices, I find it most useful to think of electron flow in N doped regions and hole flow in P doped regions.  (Though hole flow is actually flow of electrons in the opposite direction as movement of holes.)  Just personal preference for me.  Perhaps we should have a poll of forum users as to how they conceptualize current flow :)
David Knierim

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 10:37:50 PM »
EE is like ME where it’s a broad field. If there’s something you’re passionate about it’s best to figure it out early on and try to get your foot in the door somewhere as an intern or at least concentrate on learning relevant skills. If you graduate as an undergraduate with a degree like that and don’t have a specific plan you could end up doing all kinds of different things you wouldn’t have been able to anticipate. Newer and hotter fields often mean competition, startups, etc… a lot of less flashy jobs are out there you can do that will have a more predictable career path.

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 05:34:10 AM »
I can't comment on how "hot" the field is but since your interested in high power, why not study power systems and distribution? Its probably not as "sexy" as some other areas but it has its own interesting relatively recent developments such as high voltage DC distribution, solar power, wind power, high-power AC-DC converters, etc.
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Retired electrical engineer

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »
Go with what you enjoy and are excited about rather than whatever's "hot" at the moment.  The "hot" area will change over the years. Your passions may as well, but overall you'll be more productive when work is fun and exciting.

Focus on understanding the fundamentals.  A deep understanding of the underpinning principles is more valuable than details of the latest generation parts and designs.  Take as much physics as your schedule allows.  (My first degree is in physics.  IMHO it is better preparation for engineering than EE classes, especially since I also experimented with electronics before and during college.)

Your experience experimenting with electronics gives you a big advantage over most students starting with no experience, especially over those who chose EE just hoping it will pay well.

Have fun with "official" learning!  Of course, you are learning lots already.

Mostly I agree with Dave :)

I have, through out my life, found that I had bigger satisfaction from working with something I am truly GOOD at, not something that I LOVE. Passion can be a devil, cost you sleep over unsolvable problems, passions tend to take over a lot.

But harvesting pay grades, recognition and self satisfaction from doing something you are good at, I have just found to fulfil my life in a way, that leaves more room for following my passions as hobbies instead.

I can not stress "Focus on understanding the fundamentals." enough, I skipped too hard on this, and I still pay the toll for this, to this day. I will however also acknowledge that understanding the fundamentals becomes easier throughout the years of using it in practice, not just on the school bench.

Maybe you should visualize if you are a small scale, component scale, system scale or large installation kind of person. All involves sitting at a desk, but do you want to put your name on a:
- IC (that no-one know you made or know what it does)
- a component like a motor drive (that no-one know you made and only few know what it is)
- a system/machine for certain industrial applications (that some know you made and some will know what it is)
- large infrastructure installations (that some know you made and most will know what it is)

Motivation is many things, not just your field of work. Good companies, colleagues, pay grades can make up for many things not in the job application.

At the end, there is only to follow your heart. If it does not feel right, it really is not right. Change job. But try to capture at least 2 years per position, not only to give it a chance, but it looks better on a CV. Some jobs have long learning curves to be able to handle it yourself. In my own line of work (industrial software) we do not expect new people to do that before within 6-12 months. 
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Twospoons

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 05:59:21 AM »
I can not stress "Focus on understanding the fundamentals." enough,

^This^

Forget about trying to target specific areas by picking courses. That knowledge (far more than you will ever learn in school) will come later as you progress your career.  But without a solid grounding in the fundamentals you will struggle. And that incudes understanding the physics and chemistry that underpins all EE.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 05:59:21 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: UD+ debugging (randomly skipping pulses)
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
davekni
Today at 04:12:52 AM
AstRii
Today at 03:22:21 AM
post Re: Success!!!
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
MRMILSTAR
June 15, 2024, 09:03:06 PM
post Success!!!
Terry
June 15, 2024, 08:29:43 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC3
Benjamin Lockhart
June 15, 2024, 05:38:36 AM
Jj
June 15, 2024, 03:09:41 AM
post Re: Are TVS diodes necessary for full bridge?
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Simranjit
June 15, 2024, 01:53:07 AM
davekni
June 15, 2024, 01:07:30 AM
AstRii
June 15, 2024, 12:45:22 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 10:41:03 PM
post UD+ debugging (randomly skipping pulses)
AstRii
June 14, 2024, 10:20:00 PM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 09:47:48 PM
post Fronius IG Plus 2LT-2 6kW Solar Inverter Teardown
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
June 14, 2024, 09:40:33 PM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 07:44:12 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 05:21:55 AM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 03:24:43 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 03:13:44 AM
Simranjit
June 14, 2024, 02:27:06 AM
davekni
June 14, 2024, 01:56:58 AM
post Are TVS diodes necessary for full bridge?
Simranjit
June 13, 2024, 11:21:46 PM
post Re: Bigger sparks?...
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
Teslaventje
June 13, 2024, 08:50:56 PM
post Re: Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
Mads Barnkob
June 13, 2024, 07:43:37 PM
post Re: Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
petespaco
June 13, 2024, 04:52:08 PM
post Re: Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
Simranjit
June 13, 2024, 02:14:17 AM
post Re: Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
flyingperson23
June 12, 2024, 11:04:57 PM
post Turning SSTC into DRSSTC
Simranjit
June 12, 2024, 10:23:08 PM
post Re: UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 12, 2024, 08:41:06 PM
post Re: UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
flyingperson23
June 12, 2024, 07:53:31 PM
post Re: Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
haversin
June 12, 2024, 06:57:13 PM
post UD2.7C constantly in OCP despite having signal
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 12, 2024, 06:54:49 PM
post Re: Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
Mads Barnkob
June 12, 2024, 03:47:28 PM
post Van de Graaf Voltage measurement with voltage sensor and voltage divider
[Static Electricity]
vK
June 12, 2024, 03:42:18 AM
davekni
June 12, 2024, 03:32:22 AM
Teslaventje
June 11, 2024, 11:05:49 PM
MRMILSTAR
June 11, 2024, 05:36:46 AM
post Re: Sling Psychrometer
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
Twospoons
June 11, 2024, 12:29:31 AM
post Bigger sparks?...
Teslaventje
June 10, 2024, 11:05:55 PM
post Re: Syntherrupter - A Feature-rich, Polyphonic Interrupter
[Computers, Microcontrollers, Programmable Logic, Interfaces and Displays]
Max
June 10, 2024, 10:57:51 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 10, 2024, 08:08:04 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
Hi-Deff
June 10, 2024, 06:04:09 PM
post Sling Psychrometer
klugesmith
June 10, 2024, 04:43:59 PM
flyingperson23
June 10, 2024, 03:35:28 PM
Jj
June 10, 2024, 01:36:41 PM
post Re: Is a 60UF 800VDC Dawncap good for an induction heater?
[General Chat]
Anders Mikkelsen
June 09, 2024, 05:44:29 PM
post Is a 60UF 800VDC Dawncap good for an induction heater?
[General Chat]
yourboi
June 09, 2024, 03:31:30 PM
NyaaX_X
June 09, 2024, 01:34:49 PM
post Steve Ward's DRSSTC Interrupter stops working when adjusting pulse width
verliebt_in_neukölln17
June 09, 2024, 01:56:51 AM
post Re: Return of Electronics Flea Market in "Silicon Valley"
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
klugesmith
June 08, 2024, 06:06:25 AM
post Re: Coulometric hourmeters
klugesmith
June 08, 2024, 05:38:14 AM
post Interrupter for SSTC
[Beginners]
Simranjit
June 08, 2024, 12:47:47 AM
post Re: Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
Michelle_
June 07, 2024, 03:59:57 PM
post Re: Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
davekni
June 07, 2024, 06:42:26 AM
post Re: Space-X Starship test this week
[Science, Research and News In Other Fields Than Electronics]
MRMILSTAR
June 07, 2024, 05:08:00 AM
post Re: Half bridge sstc different waveform on two mosfets
davekni
June 07, 2024, 03:16:31 AM
post Re: Space-X Starship test this week
[Science, Research and News In Other Fields Than Electronics]
klugesmith
June 06, 2024, 11:37:20 PM
post Adding capacitor to primary in SSTC
Simranjit
June 06, 2024, 11:20:23 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
alan sailer
June 06, 2024, 10:54:48 PM
ZakW
June 06, 2024, 05:17:02 AM
Simranjit
June 06, 2024, 04:50:00 AM
davekni
June 06, 2024, 04:00:52 AM
ZakW
June 06, 2024, 01:43:41 AM
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 11:11:17 PM
Michelle_
June 05, 2024, 10:18:57 PM
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 10:13:03 PM
ZakW
June 05, 2024, 09:29:18 PM
post Half bridge sstc different waveform on two mosfets
Simranjit
June 05, 2024, 08:46:53 PM
post Re: Want to build HV HF oscilloscope probe.
[Electronic Circuits]
Twospoons
June 05, 2024, 07:04:45 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
Domo
June 05, 2024, 04:58:35 AM
post Re: Pearson current monitor model 1330 teardown (100kA)
klugesmith
June 05, 2024, 01:42:04 AM
post Re: Coulometric hourmeters
klugesmith
June 04, 2024, 10:31:58 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
pete_dl
June 04, 2024, 08:08:28 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Twospoons
June 03, 2024, 11:13:26 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC questions
Benjamin Lockhart
June 03, 2024, 10:35:57 PM
Hi-Deff
June 03, 2024, 05:51:05 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Domo
June 03, 2024, 07:41:41 AM
flyingperson23
June 03, 2024, 05:28:44 AM
post Re: RDRSSTC - Project Build
davekni
June 03, 2024, 05:02:19 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 03, 2024, 03:47:33 AM
flyingperson23
June 03, 2024, 02:23:58 AM
Hi-Deff
June 03, 2024, 01:25:24 AM
ZakW
June 03, 2024, 01:08:47 AM
davekni
June 02, 2024, 10:29:02 PM
post Re: Steve Ward SSTC5 build
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 10:02:45 PM
post Re: Racing sparks
davekni
June 02, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 04:51:58 PM
Michelle_
June 02, 2024, 04:44:30 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
June 02, 2024, 03:25:11 PM
post APC Smart-UPS 1500VA Teardown
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
June 02, 2024, 01:36:11 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
pete_dl
June 02, 2024, 11:43:40 AM
ZakW
June 02, 2024, 08:49:11 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 02, 2024, 08:36:07 AM
ZakW
June 02, 2024, 12:41:50 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
June 01, 2024, 08:24:35 PM
post Pearson current monitor model 1330 teardown (100kA)
Mads Barnkob
June 01, 2024, 08:22:28 PM
Michelle_
June 01, 2024, 03:56:53 AM
post Re: Racing sparks
Terry
June 01, 2024, 12:03:50 AM
Hi-Deff
May 31, 2024, 11:46:20 PM
Michelle_
May 31, 2024, 06:13:59 PM
davekni
May 31, 2024, 01:55:22 AM
flyingperson23
May 30, 2024, 11:57:49 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal