Author Topic: Half-bridge for my first sstc  (Read 2507 times)

Offline LoOdaK

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Half-bridge for my first sstc
« on: August 11, 2022, 11:13:20 AM »
Hi all, as I said a couple of months ago I started to build my first SSTC.
Because I'm quite new to this, I tried to design a PCB for the half-bridge. I was mainly following schematics from the Internet.

I would like to hear your opinions, there are probably thousands of mistakes and that is why I'm posting it here :)
What could be improved ? What are my mistakes, and how I can fix them ? What to look out for when designing this kind of board ?

Schematic: (Sorry for the template, still working on it :) )

Top layer:

Bottom layer:

Both layers:

Final look:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:33:35 PM by LoOdaK »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Re: Half-bridge for my first sstc
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
Keep your power traces as short as possible, you did that, fine layout.

I avoid 90 degree edges, I make them all 45 degree. Sharps edges and high frequency high voltage is just an unnecessary risk, as you can have high voltage transients or resonant voltages in Tesla coil inverters.

Your power traces are VERY close to each other, you have plenty of space on the board, give them some more spacing, same reason as above, switching transients can quickly cause a flashover that turns into a board fire because the distance is so small that an electrical arc can sustain.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 11:35:43 PM »
Your schematic lists 1N4148 diodes.  Peak current is likely to exceed rated 0.5A.  I'd suggest 1N5817/8/9 instead.

BTW, for TC frequencies, inside copper corners aren't an issue.  Outside corners are the key concern for HV.  (Rounded inside corners can reduce trace cracking with bending stress, so wouldn't hurt.)

Your overlapping shapes for VDC and GND are great.  Keeps parasitic inductance low.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 08:36:23 AM »
Keep your power traces as short as possible, you did that, fine layout.

I avoid 90 degree edges, I make them all 45 degree. Sharps edges and high frequency high voltage is just an unnecessary risk, as you can have high voltage transients or resonant voltages in Tesla coil inverters.

Your power traces are VERY close to each other, you have plenty of space on the board, give them some more spacing, same reason as above, switching transients can quickly cause a flashover that turns into a board fire because the distance is so small that an electrical arc can sustain.

Thanks a lot for the info.
Yes, my traces are quite close to each other, I'm working on it but I don't want to extend traces too much because I want to lower parasitic inductance.

Your schematic lists 1N4148 diodes.  Peak current is likely to exceed rated 0.5A.  I'd suggest 1N5817/8/9 instead.

BTW, for TC frequencies, inside copper corners aren't an issue.  Outside corners are the key concern for HV.  (Rounded inside corners can reduce trace cracking with bending stress, so wouldn't hurt.)

Your overlapping shapes for VDC and GND are great.  Keeps parasitic inductance low.
Thanks for the 1n4148 info, I will consider replacing it.

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by inside/outside copper corners, how that could be fixed on my board ?

Concerning overlapping shapes, would it help if I remove the copper area above capacitor terminals that go to the edge of the board to lower parasitic inductance even more ?

Offline klugesmith

• High Voltage Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 05:57:00 PM »
Very pretty. I might even ask if I can sign up to get one of those boards.

I don't see any connectors or open vias for bringing in VDC and GND.   
How and where will you attach those wires?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
I'm not quite sure what do you mean by inside/outside copper corners, how that could be fixed on my board ?
By inside corner I refer to concave corners of a copper shape.  By outside corners I refer to convex corners.

Concerning overlapping shapes, would it help if I remove the copper area above capacitor terminals that go to the edge of the board to lower parasitic inductance even more ?
I was complimenting you on a good layout, not recommending any changes for reduced inductance.  No, removing copper never reduces inductance.  Only reason to remove copper is to increase clearance distance as Mads recommended (and I agree).

Yes, my traces are quite close to each other, I'm working on it but I don't want to extend traces too much because I want to lower parasitic inductance.
Yes, increasing spacing does increase inductance.  I'd still increase spacing some.  Especially the gate traces can easily be moved farther from drain without any significant inductance change.  For minimizing inductance, it is more important to have copper on the opposite side of the board from traces than is the exact trace spacing.  You could extend the copper shapes for VDC and GND below the bulk cap to fill in much of the empty area, especially extend the VDC top-layer shape to go around the small cap terminals and over the output trace.  That will reduce inductance more than any increase you get from widening spaces around FET/IGBT leads.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »
Very pretty. I might even ask if I can sign up to get one of those boards.

I don't see any connectors or open vias for bringing in VDC and GND.   
How and where will you attach those wires?

Thanks a lot, but this is not tested yet.
I wanted to hear from more experienced people in the field about things that could be improved so that's why I posted here.
If the project turns out ok and if everything works as expected, I will happily share my boards here on the forum.
(If you want this unfinished board, PM me, and I will send it)

As for the connections, my plan is to use a screw terminal type capacitor and by using washers and crimp connectors, connect wires directly to the bottom of the PCB.
That's my plan, but I will see if it's viable.

I was complimenting you on a good layout, not recommending any changes for reduced inductance.  No, removing copper never reduces inductance.  Only reason to remove copper is to increase clearance distance as Mads recommended (and I agree).

Yes, increasing spacing does increase inductance.  I'd still increase spacing some.  Especially the gate traces can easily be moved farther from drain without any significant inductance change.  For minimizing inductance, it is more important to have copper on the opposite side of the board from traces than is the exact trace spacing.  You could extend the copper shapes for VDC and GND below the bulk cap to fill in much of the empty area, especially extend the VDC top-layer shape to go around the small cap terminals and over the output trace.  That will reduce inductance more than any increase you get from widening spaces around FET/IGBT leads.

So that means it is actually better to fill as much PCB area as possible with copper on both sides and avoid only gate circuitry ? Did I get that right ?

Is this better layout then previous photo ?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
So that means it is actually better to fill as much PCB area as possible with copper on both sides and avoid only gate circuitry ? Did I get that right ?

Yes, parasitic inductance is lower in the new version.

Looks like there's still small gaps that risk arcing.  For use at 340Vdc or under (400V FETs), arcing is unlikely even with close spacing.  However, I still recommend as Mads did that you increase spacing.  The copper shapes likely have clearance distance properties that can be increased to automatically make larger clearances from other copper.  Hopefully that will fix tight spacing just above FET/IGBT pads and around capacitor pads.  Output trace width is great in this new layout, but gets a bit close to D1 pads.  If you move the diode pads/holes farther apart, it would accommodate 1N5817/8/9 diodes as an option and clear the output trace better.

BTW, spacing in the lower left and right is fine.  Gate voltages are low and not close to any other voltages there.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »

Yes, parasitic inductance is lower in the new version.

Looks like there's still small gaps that risk arcing.  For use at 340Vdc or under (400V FETs), arcing is unlikely even with close spacing.  However, I still recommend as Mads did that you increase spacing.  The copper shapes likely have clearance distance properties that can be increased to automatically make larger clearances from other copper.  Hopefully that will fix tight spacing just above FET/IGBT pads and around capacitor pads.  Output trace width is great in this new layout, but gets a bit close to D1 pads.  If you move the diode pads/holes farther apart, it would accommodate 1N5817/8/9 diodes as an option and clear the output trace better.

BTW, spacing in the lower left and right is fine.  Gate voltages are low and not close to any other voltages there.

Thanks a lot.
What do you think now ?
I tried to make some clearances, only thing that bothers me is that JST connectors are not aligned horizontally to each other and it drives me a little bit crazy  ;D

(edit: without f. fab layer)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:59:29 PM by LoOdaK »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 11:03:52 PM »
What do you think now ?
I tried to make some clearances, only thing that bothers me is that JST connectors are not aligned horizontally to each other and it drives me a little bit crazy  ;D
Looking better!  Still some clearances to fix:  Top side of source/emitter of left FET/IGBT, and around hole pads for C1, C2, and C4.
You could lower J1 to match J2 if that makes you feel better :)  Shouldn't affect functionality.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:38:16 PM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »
I did some more clearance adjustments, aligned JST connectors (I hope this won't cause problems), and made adjustments on silkscreen layer.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:28:35 PM by LoOdaK »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 07:41:45 PM »
It looks good to me.  For your voltages, should be fine, unless I'm not noticing something.  If you want to be a perfectionist, you could round the outside corners at the bottom of the left source/emitter trace and the right drain/collector trace.  Either round the traces or pull them up a bit so the rounded pad shape forms the end of the copper.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 08:20:01 PM »
It looks good to me.  For your voltages, should be fine, unless I'm not noticing something.  If you want to be a perfectionist, you could round the outside corners at the bottom of the left source/emitter trace and the right drain/collector trace.  Either round the traces or pull them up a bit so the rounded pad shape forms the end of the copper.

I rounded them a little bit. Let's hope everything will work fine  :)
I also exposed copper on the traces from L1A & L1B so I could hopefully reinforce them with some solder. Would that cause any problems ?

Thank you and Mads for those excellent tips. This means a lot to me especially because this is quite new for me. I will have to make some more adjustments for capacitor terminals and will order the board. If everything turns out ok, I will post my results here on the forum.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:27:52 PM by LoOdaK »

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 08:45:41 PM »
I also exposed copper on the traces from L1A & L1B so I could hopefully reinforce them with some solder. Would that cause any problems ?
Solder mask does help prevent arcs starting from creepage current.  You have enough clearance distance now that solder mask over those traces shouldn't be needed.
However, I recommend against adding solder.  For typical TC frequencies, adding solder may increase resistance due to skin effect.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Solder mask does help prevent arcs starting from creepage current.  You have enough clearance distance now that solder mask over those traces shouldn't be needed.
However, I recommend against adding solder.  For typical TC frequencies, adding solder may increase resistance due to skin effect.
I wanted to increase the current handling capability of the traces but it seems  that would only worsen it. Thanks again.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2022, 10:14:40 PM »
I wanted to increase the current handling capability of the traces but it seems  that would only worsen it. Thanks again.
Yes, depending on frequency, could make current capability worse or have little effect.  Your trace is likely fine as is.  If you want higher current capability, widen the trace where ever width isn't constrained by nearby pads or traces.  If you really need to augment beyond that, use copper foil tape soldered at the endpoints.
David Knierim

Offline LoOdaK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »
Yes, depending on frequency, could make current capability worse or have little effect.  Your trace is likely fine as is.  If you want higher current capability, widen the trace where ever width isn't constrained by nearby pads or traces.  If you really need to augment beyond that, use copper foil tape soldered at the endpoints.

Sorry for the late response, thanks again, I will leave it as is (without copper exposed) I hope it will work well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:52:11 PM by LoOdaK »

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal