Author Topic: Syntherrupter - A Feature-rich, Polyphonic Interrupter  (Read 66157 times)

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
  • "With the first link, the chain is forged. [...]"
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Easy to build Polyphonic MIDI Interrupter
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
Hello futurist,

Congrats to the mechanical part. I‘d love to see your finished interrupter!

It‘s been quite some time since I made that little print for the transmitter. Here is what I remember:
The transmitter is just an infrared LED. Three of the four center pins are cathode, one is anode. From the datasheet I determined Vf and If which gave me a resistor value of 60Ohm when using it with 5V. Again, thats what I remember, you should check the values. Current was around 60mA so a BC546C was sufficient. This transistor has enough gain and speed for this application. Many other standard transistors should work, too. Final schematic: Resistor to 5V, Anode to resistor, cathode to collector, emitter to ground, base to a 560Ohm resistor which goes to the pin with the interrupter signal.
I use the 5V instead of the 3.3V because the 5V come directly from the USB port. The 3.3V are provided by an onboard regulator where I don‘t know how much additional current it can handle.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
Thanks!

Duty cycle is very low so it could probably be powered directly from processor, but in any case I'll use external transistor
I'm little short on THT components, but I managed to find four old 2N2222 transistors, I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2020, 03:20:16 PM »
Duty cycle is low, but that doesn't help since the GPIO pins are current limited by their internal resistance (not short circuit proof AFAIK). Somewhere in the datasheet is described how the voltage drops if you draw more current than allowed. You wouldn't get much more than those 2mA and especially not the 10s of mA required to get a proper signal from the transmitter.
Therefore I'm glad you still had those transistors!  :)

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 05:12:49 PM »
I don't have enough space to connect microusb cable to debug port, is there any way to solder individual wires without desoldering microusb socket from dev. board?

edit: where do I connect LCD?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:17:19 PM by futurist »

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 05:44:34 PM »
Good evening,

@futurist:
You can see the PCB USB traces in the following documentation from TI, page 26: https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spmu365c/spmu365c.pdf Hope this helps you.
Display connections and setup is described in the very first post of the topic, under "Replica with touch display".

Other news:
A new version of the Nextion Editor has been released (v1.61.1) which breaks the option to upgrade the Nextion firmware over USB. It's fixed in the source code but I didn't want to draw yet another beta release just for this fix.
The developper of SynthFont, the MIDI Software I'm using for years now, has offered to make SynthFont send MIDI directly to a serial port. No MIDI to USB converters, no MIDI serial bridges needed :D I really appreciate his support and initiative!

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
I managed to program everything but I didn't have enough time to test it on the coil

Turned out nice, can't wait for the next weekend :)

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »
Quote from: futurist
Turned out nice
Agreed! I like those 4 transmitters in a row.
... and I didn't know that Broadcom, formerly Avago, once belonged to Agilent. Interesting how many companies are in some way connected to HP.

By chance I read about a MIDI feature called "running status", which is used by some MIDI devices to reduce the amount of bytes necessary to send. It is explained over here: http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/run.htm
While this is not important if connected to a computer (it's not used there since MIDI USB data rates make such tricks needless), it could be relevant for MIDI In which still operates at the slower 31250baud/s.
When reading about running status I realized that my code does not handle MIDI real time messages correctly. They would lead to missing or hanging notes. I didn't know that since I never used a MIDI program that sends them. However, i heard FL Studio does.
Support for running status and the fix for real time messages will be included in the next release.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2020, 03:26:07 AM »
Most of the MIDI computer files (.mid) that I've analyzed use running-status.  Perhaps that's due to some original keyboard 31250-BAUD source, or to reduce file size.  Either way, I needed to include running-status in my MIDI interpretation code to make it at all useful.  It would seem likely that some software reading .mid files and sending them real-time to a USB port wouldn't bother removing running-status.  (I have no personal experience with such USB MIDI output software.)
David Knierim

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My random (and very empty) electronics blog
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2020, 04:48:34 AM »
the running status is something that I have personally never seen in a Midi datastream from a pc. If I understand correctly, the way that the software midi layer works on windows, is that there is a single packet for each command and it is up to the output driver to decide whether to use running status or not (don't quote me on that though, my knowledge about that is very limited).
The midi out from hairless midi serial certainly does not use the running status (at least I have never noticed), neither does the USB audio implementation that I'm using for my interrupter (though the bandwidth of that is of course quite a bit higher :P ).

@futurist
Are those four tx modules all going to be used or are they just for future expansion? I'd love to hear some of the stereo effects with more than two coils.  If it sounds cool enough I might just steal coincidentally have the same idea for my midi stick :P

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2020, 01:53:30 AM »
Sometimes I hate it if I have new ideas... Because now I have enough stuff to release yet another beta. Too tired to make screenshots or videos of the differences but all of them are described on the release page. The fixes I mentioned in the previous replies are of course included. However, the running status feature and the real time fix are untested since I have no devices that use these features. The other features are tested and working as expected.

@TMaxElectronics: watching you...

@davekni: "running status" is not part of the USB MIDI specifications (at least that's what I read on midi.org). That's probably the reason why no MIDI program sends "incomplete" packages - which is more or less what TMaxElectronics said, too. A tool like hairless MIDI serial could reintroduce it, since it is "serial" MIDI and not USB MIDI anymore, but it doesn't.
My very first MIDI interrupter was able to parse MIDI0 files. I don't know where my MIDI0 files came from, but the few I tested didn't use running status... (Bad) luck I guess.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
@futurist
Are those four tx modules all going to be used or are they just for future expansion? I'd love to hear some of the stereo effects with more than two coils.  If it sounds cool enough I might just steal coincidentally have the same idea for my midi stick :P

I have two coils, medium SKM400 halfbridge and small TO-247 halfbridge, so I'll definitely try the stereo option
Friend has CM600 coil and it would be great to test all three coils, but we have to find a place to do it

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 02:05:18 AM »
It bothered me that the sliders "waste" a lot of space in the lower end of the range. Almost 10% of the range belongs to the value zero. I completely rewrote the math behind the sliders (math for a slider? yes!) and I think they work much better now. However, I have no access to an actual Nextion display; I'm limited to the simulator. Therefore it'd be great if someone* could test it and tell me, if it is easier to set values with the new version.
*actually only futurist could do it AFAIK...  ;D

Nextion source file with new sliders can be downloaded here: https://github.com/MMMZZZZ/Syntherrupter/blob/v3.1.0-better-sliders/Syntherrupter_Nextion/Syntherrupter_Nextion.HMI
The compiled Nextion file is attached below.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 08:36:14 AM »
Looking forward to get this put together :) I must say that the Omni-mode is what I have dreamt about for years, I am really looking forward to use that feature (and not so much that I now have to build 6 identical coils)

I have just ordered all the parts I needed from digikey, since they are the only seller of the locking screw head opto parts with a good enough price to justify the import tax.

Here is the digikey order numbers if anyone else needs them

Dev board:
296-37267-ND‎
‎EK-TM4C1294XL‎
LAUNCHPAD TM4C129X EVAL BRD

Display:
‎1597-104990606-ND‎
‎104990606‎
NEXTION ENHANCED NX8048P070-011R

Optic transmitter:
‎FB162-ND‎
‎IF-E96E‎
LED FIBER OPTIC 645NM RED

Optic receiver:
FB124-ND‎
‎IF-D95OC‎
DETECTOR PHOTOLOGIC 5 TTL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:25:07 AM by Mads Barnkob »
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »
*actually only futurist could do it AFAIK...  ;D

I will, I didn't have any free time this weekend to play with the coil
I'm going on vacation Thursday and I'll try new firmware asap

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2020, 05:23:35 AM »
Good morning!

Today I tried some MIDIs and realized that it is pretty annoying to edit the MIDI files each time. It would be useful to enable and configure the stereo note mapping directly on the Syntherrupter. So I added a new page which allows exactly this: edit NRPs and generally send any MIDI command you want. Screenshot is attached below. Haven't yet created a release.

Other ideas I'll implement sooner or later:
  • Make ADSR parameters editable. Together with this change I'd probably add some other features to ADSR like exponential decay.
  • Create NRPs or SysEx Commands for all settings of the Syntherrupter. Allow import/export from/to PC. Instead of modifying ontime, channel assignments, etc for each MIDI by hand it will happen automatically.
  • Make volume logarithmic as described by the MIDI standard.
  • Allow to compensate the non-linear volume behavior of a tesla coil. This is independant of ADSR exponential decay and the logarithmic volume.
  • Firmware version check. Enable/Disable functions based on firmware combinations.
  • Something something I probably forgot.
I'll try new firmware asap
Great! Thank you.
I'm going on vacation Thursday
Since you're currently the only one who could have played with real tesla coils, I don't like this for sure. However I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

Looking forward to get this put together :) I must say that the Omni-mode is what I have dreamt about for years, I am really looking forward to use that feature (and not so much that I now have to build 6 identical coils)
Honestly it already works pretty well with only 4 coils. However, having played with those features myself, I have to build 6 identical tesla coils, too. One day...  ;D Maybe smaller SSTCs. Then I could even build 12 coils  8) Oooh so many ideas, so little time...

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »
I'll try new firmware asap
Great! Thank you.
I'm going on vacation Thursday
Since you're currently the only one who could have played with real tesla coils, I don't like this for sure. However I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

By vacation I meant going home :) Now I have two tesla coils to play with

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
... and suddenly your post makes quite a bit more sense. ;D
Once I have the feedback for the sliders I'll throw out another beta release so that you can play with the NRP editor, too. It should make experimenting a lot easier.

While I give my best to keep the user interface as intuitive as possible I'm starting to think that I'll have to write a serious manual sooner or later... Again, any feedback is highly appreciated. Especially since you can play with the UI without buying any hardware ;)

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
It was quite windy these days so I couldn't test both of the coils, I played a few midis on my smaller coil
/>
Duty cycle max. 5 %, max. on-time 300 us
I'm still getting used to UI, polyphony will probably sound nicer if I increase max. duty cycle

Sliders (unfortunately youtube rotated video)

Offline Max

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
@futurist:
Thank you for the video. Unfortunately my timing is horrible: Today I finally got access to my interrupter, so I could play around with the sliders, too. Feels okay to me, but I added a rounding feature (value only increases in steps of 5 or 0.5), which gives a more "stable" feeling. How do they feel to you? Do you find it difficult to set the values you want?

You made me realize that the name "Max. Ontime/Duty" on the MIDI Live page is rather confusing, so I renamed them to "Note Ontime/Duty", which should be clearer.

Now concerning the strange behavior in your first video: I couldn't really find a combination that reproduced the behavior, therefore I'd ask you to tell me
  • Which values you set on the MIDI Live page (Note Ontime/Duty) ("Screenshot" might be fastest)
  • Which values you set on the "Settings->Coil Limits" page (Coils min/max settings) ("Screenshot" might be fastest)
  • Link to the MIDI file
  • List of the channels passed to the interrupter, and, if not saved in the MIDI file, the program number of each of these channels.
I suspect the duty cycle limiter in combination with a rather high minimum ontime required by your coil to be the cause of the problems.

Since I was able to test everything today, I published Beta 6. It includes the NRP editor, and the sliders futurist already played with. Oh and I kinda verified the running status feature, and it worked as expected.

Kind regards,
Max

Offline futurist

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
As I said I'm still getting used to UI but for now everything works nicely and it isn't difficult to set the exact values I want

You're right about min. on-time, I have 30 us min. on-time on onetesla interrupter. Do you plan to add min. on-time setting?

Can you suggest max. duty cycle and min. off-time?
Onetesla interrupter doesn't have duty cycle limiter and I didn't blow up the bridge. Here is same MIDI played with onetesla interrupter
/>
Currently I have max. on-time 300 us, min. off-time 0 us and max. duty 5 %. I'm waiting for wind and rain to stop to test it further

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal