Author Topic: Some questions about DRSSTC's, and guidance to build one.  (Read 2882 times)

Offline mrsebe

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Some questions about DRSSTC's, and guidance to build one.
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »
I have a couple questions since I am looking to make a drsstc. I have been building and tinkering with electronics for several years, and have built a small sstc and sgtc before, so I have a basic understanding. Where should I start with building a drsstc? They seem very complicated, and I can’t find any guides online that show a step by step process.

A couple questions off the top of my head that I couldn’t easily find on the internet:

1. Do all drsstc’s use a dedicated driver board, such as Steve wards universal driver? Could I build my own, or should I buy a driver board?

2. Most of the drsstc’s I’ve seen online have ~2000 turns on the secondary, as opposed to the ~1000 that sgtc’s have. Why is this?

3. Should I build a half bridge or full bridge? I am planning on using to-247 igbts, as the big “brick” ones seem a little too expensive for my first drsstc. What are the best IGBT's (to-247) to use? I'm looking to make one similar to this one: https://www.loneoceans.com/labs/drsstc1/

4. Since the primary and secondary tank circuits have to be in tune, what is the circuit designed around? Put another way, do you create a secondary coil first, then design the rest of the primary tank circuit based on the resonance of the secondary? How do you decide the number of turns for the secondary, and is there a height/width ratio that gives the best performance?

5. Does the driver switch the IGBT's at the resonate frequency? In some videos I see that the driver board has an antenna or some sort of feedback device, is this to determine the resonant frequency? Is lower resonant frequency better for drsstc's?

6. This question is pointed towards sgtc's: I'm having trouble finding an nst that does not have secondary ground fault protection. Does anyone have an nst that they'd be willing to sell, or where to source one?

Offline AstRii

• High Voltage Engineer
  • Czech Technical University in Prague
    • View Profile
    • UHVlab - Tesla Coils | High Voltage | Education
Re: Some questions about DRSSTC's, and guidance to build one.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »
Hello!

To answer your questions:

1.)
Very few DRSSTCs use their very own driver, and if so, it's usually based on Steve Ward's driver anyway. I think the best thing to do is to buy a plain driver board and solder your components by your own. This way you get some sense of how it works by looking at the traces and ICs on the board and you do not just blindly use an existing driver.

2.)
I don't really think that's the case. I would say that most DRSSTCs operate in the range of 1000 - 1500 wingings. It's always a compromise... More windings = higher windings ratio which leads to higher voltages. But lower amount of turns usually coresponds with a thickness of the wire. The thicker ther wire, the lower its resistance and thereore higher Q factor which again leads to higher voltages...

3.)
If this is your first DRSSTC i would probably go for half bridge as this way the IGBTs will operate at lower voltages which means less likely to blow up.

4.)
You usually design your secondary first. Don't go too crazy with height/width ratio. I would say that 3:1 - 5:1 is the optimal ratio. Then you usually make your topload minor diamater to match the diameter of the secodary and topload major diameter to match the height of the secondary.

5.)
DRSSTC drivers always have a feedback system, usually a feedback transformer sensing the current on the primary coil. Lower resonant frequency is usually better as you can push your IGBTs further, but the frequency depends on the size of your coil, a small table top DRSSTC will have a frequency in the range of few 100kHz while a large IGBT brick coil will be in the range of 30-70kHz.

Good luck with your DRSSTC and dont forget to share your results with us!:)
Bc. Marek Novotny
Czech Republic, Czech Technical University in Prague
www.uhvlab.org

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:59:08 PM »
Even though JAVATC was made for spark gap coils you can still use much of it for other types of Tesla coils such as transistor coils and vacuum tube coils. Just ignore the spark gap output portions.
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Retired electrical engineer

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:20:45 AM »
If this is your first DRSSTC i would probably go for half bridge as this way the IGBTs will operate at lower voltages which means less likely to blow up.

AstRii,  I agree with all your suggestions, excepting this one.  A half-bridge generates half the drive voltage to the primary tank circuit, but each IGBT still sees full bus voltage (plus switching spikes).  For a given bus voltage, IGBT voltage is the same between half and full bridges.  Full bridges are a bit easier on bus bypass capacitors, as all ripple current is at 2x operating frequency (and higher harmonics).  Also, a full bridge can output the same power using half the IGBT current, since output voltage is double.  Or, it can generate twice the power for a given IGBT current rating.

Of course, if something goes wrong, a half-bridge has half as many IGBTs to fry :)

Whether making a half or full bridge, I suggest taking a look at my low-inductance bridge design guide:
https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1324.msg9795#msg9795
A good low-parasitic-inductance bridge layout will save a lot of headaches later with switching spikes and fried IGBTs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:30:05 AM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline mrsebe

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
Hello!

To answer your questions:

1.)
Very few DRSSTCs use their very own driver, and if so, it's usually based on Steve Ward's driver anyway. I think the best thing to do is to buy a plain driver board and solder your components by your own. This way you get some sense of how it works by looking at the traces and ICs on the board and you do not just blindly use an existing driver.

2.)
I don't really think that's the case. I would say that most DRSSTCs operate in the range of 1000 - 1500 wingings. It's always a compromise... More windings = higher windings ratio which leads to higher voltages. But lower amount of turns usually coresponds with a thickness of the wire. The thicker ther wire, the lower its resistance and thereore higher Q factor which again leads to higher voltages...

3.)

4.)
You usually design your secondary first. Don't go too crazy with height/width ratio. I would say that 3:1 - 5:1 is the optimal ratio. Then you usually make your topload minor diamater to match the diameter of the secodary and topload major diameter to match the height of the secondary.

5.)
DRSSTC drivers always have a feedback system, usually a feedback transformer sensing the current on the primary coil. Lower resonant frequency is usually better as you can push your IGBTs further, but the frequency depends on the size of your coil, a small table top DRSSTC will have a frequency in the range of few 100kHz while a large IGBT brick coil will be in the range of 30-70kHz.

Good luck with your DRSSTC and dont forget to share your results with us!:)
Thanks for all of this information, I don't think I could ask these questions anywhere else on the internet haha.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:25:30 PM »
I have a couple questions since I am looking to make a drsstc. I have been building and tinkering with electronics for several years, and have built a small sstc and sgtc before, so I have a basic understanding. Where should I start with building a drsstc? They seem very complicated, and I can’t find any guides online that show a step by step process.

You should start by reading my DRSSTC design guide, start with the FAQ :) https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/

A couple questions off the top of my head that I couldn’t easily find on the internet:

1. Do all drsstc’s use a dedicated driver board, such as Steve wards universal driver? Could I build my own, or should I buy a driver board?
A DRSSTC needs a dedicated driver to ensure zero current switching, else exploding IGBTs.

2. Most of the drsstc’s I’ve seen online have ~2000 turns on the secondary, as opposed to the ~1000 that sgtc’s have. Why is this?

From a old theory on "more turns is more sparks", while it holds somewhat true, driving waveform envelope shaping has proven more efficient. Else look at the secondary design guide link below.

3. Should I build a half bridge or full bridge? I am planning on using to-247 igbts, as the big “brick” ones seem a little too expensive for my first drsstc. What are the best IGBT's (to-247) to use? I'm looking to make one similar to this one: https://www.loneoceans.com/labs/drsstc1/
It is easier to get away with mistakes on a 200A IGBT brick than a TO-247 package, they will explode at minimal overloads (2-3 times rating for short times, a brick will most likely endure that) Check out the list at bottom here: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/igbts/

4. Since the primary and secondary tank circuits have to be in tune, what is the circuit designed around? Put another way, do you create a secondary coil first, then design the rest of the primary tank circuit based on the resonance of the secondary? How do you decide the number of turns for the secondary, and is there a height/width ratio that gives the best performance?

I wrote a long guide on secondary design and has some good tables to make choices from, all these designs are viable and will work fine: http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/drsstc-design-guide/secondary-coil/

5. Does the driver switch the IGBT's at the resonate frequency? In some videos I see that the driver board has an antenna or some sort of feedback device, is this to determine the resonant frequency? Is lower resonant frequency better for drsstc's?

Antennas as only used in SSTC that has no resonant primary circuit to get a feedback from, from a CT. Lower resonant frequency = lower switching losses in IGBTs. The bigger the brick, the slower it is, the lower frequency is needed to not kill it.

6. This question is pointed towards sgtc's: I'm having trouble finding an nst that does not have secondary ground fault protection. Does anyone have an nst that they'd be willing to sell, or where to source one?

NSTs are often too heavy to ship around the world, its best to find a local neon shop and just buy one, even if it seems expensive, its properly cheaper without shipping :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:25:30 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
Today at 05:47:34 AM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
Today at 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
Today at 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal