Author Topic: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Michelle_

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
The most expensive component of any SGTC is the HV capacitor bank. There really is no cheap way around it unless you resort to beer bottle capacitors but those are very lossy and frequently fail.

Yeah I see that now. Looks like I can use 15x 942C16P22K-F up to 12v for the current primary and secondary, then if I make a new primary and secondary with about 1/2 the resonant frequency I can use the same capacitors up to 24V or nearly. To run the current primary and secondary at 24v would take 52 of those capacitors so that's not gonna happen.

Question is what will happen if I try using the capacitors I have (beyond their rating), If I add all of my spares in series I can basically run at about 5500v with the current primary and secondary, not sure what it will do with that many volts, or what current the ZVS/flyback will provide then, any guesses?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:58:59 PM by Michelle_ »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Not sure what to make of the spark gap, my balls have to be really close together for it to reliably fire, and it doesn't really want to fire under 6kv. I guess that's how much power I'll try. I have a feeling this thing is gonna suck. Also you guys were right the primary design is dumb, when I redo it I'm going to make it more like a normal one with slots in the bottom and just use standoffs to zip tie the tube to, and space the turns closer. I won't bother printing a cover for this one since I'm changing it anyway and I doubt it will make sparks of any significant size at the lower voltage. I think the overall size is good for fitting the capacitors and all the electronics underneath though.

I'm going to have a do-over and use the 15x 942C16P22K-F at 24KV and make the resonant frequency 200KHZ. That should be as good as it can get with this power supply, and the secondary will also be larger and have more windings.

Offline alan sailer

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
In my limited experience, if you turn on a tesla coil "first light" and you make any sparks at all
it counts as a rousing success.

Small sparks can be made bigger, no sparks, not so much.

Cheers.

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
In my limited experience, if you turn on a tesla coil "first light" and you make any sparks at all
it counts as a rousing success.

Small sparks can be made bigger, no sparks, not so much.

Cheers.

HOLY CRAP IT ACTUALLY WORKED ON THE FIRST TRY

Will post pics later, it's not going to set the world on fire but for 6 volts it seems pretty good to me!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 02:54:01 AM by Michelle_ »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
I honestly can't believe the power this thing has from running on 6VDC input. I'm kind of glad I have to start with 6V because I have a new respect for how much power tesla coils can have. It really did fire up on the first try, I still can't believe it. I haven't increased the voltage over 6 yet but nothing got remotely warm including the spark gap and the capacitors according to the thermal camera. I'll post again after I have a V2.0

That's a 2 liter xenon filled globe in case anyone is wondering.

Offline markus

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Congratulations on first light! Also nice globe you got there. Small sparks are nice for playing around with stuff like that, bigger sparks just tend to shoot through everything after a certain point.

Offline NyaaX_X

• View Profile
Congratulations ;)

Sorry for my stupid..
I did not considered about the dV/dt and so on. And I don't want to use that much capacitors for the MMC then. So I use this http://www.eaco.com/uploads/soft/160630/MS.pdf
MS15000 & MS8000, even without bleeding/even-voltage resistors... So maybe the capacitors have been hurt a lot..  :'(
Or as I said, Lucky~ My SGTC is working at ~ 1MHz so maybe the dV/dt is OK? My circuit is really a crude set. And, The coil make a lot of noise so I only run it for seconds every time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 04:20:48 PM by NyaaX_X »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Congratulations ;)

Sorry for my stupid..
I did not considered about the dV/dt and so on. And I don't want to use that much capacitors for the MMC then. So I use this http://www.eaco.com/uploads/soft/160630/MS.pdf
MS15000 & MS8000, even without bleeding/even-voltage resistors... So maybe the capacitors have been hurt a lot..  :'(
Or as I said, Lucky~ My SGTC is working at ~ 1MHz so maybe the dV/dt is OK? My circuit is really a crude set. And, The coil make a lot of noise so I only run it for seconds every time.

Not stupid, I made the same mistake as first. The capacitors you picked have good ratings but at that frequency which is high, you’re almost certainly exceeding the dv/dt rating on them. I was assuming your fly back is similar to mine which would mean 24v input = 24000 output. If you do the math you’ll see it would require extremely high dv/dt. My coil is quite loud too I think that’s just how they are. I don’t actually know what happens if you exceed the capacitors ratings for short bursts. Anyway I like your setup and it inspired me to build mine so don’t feel bad about it.

Offline NyaaX_X

• View Profile
Thank you~ :)

Now I'm thinking of this. Maybe they can help the circuit to against the harmful operation?

1_ The margin design of capacitor manufacturer.
2_ The self-healing of Film capacitor.
3_ The ESR of capacitor and primary coil.
4_ The ESR of spark gap.
5_ The voltage-limit by spark gap.
6_ The ESR of flyback transformer (high voltage until spark gap break down).
7_ The corona discharge and leakage.
8_ The damping of this circuit system.

I don't know.. Nonsense then.

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Thank you~ :)

Now I'm thinking of this. Maybe they can help the circuit to against the harmful operation?

1_ The margin design of capacitor manufacturer.
2_ The self-healing of Film capacitor.
3_ The ESR of capacitor and primary coil.
4_ The ESR of spark gap.
5_ The voltage-limit by spark gap.
6_ The ESR of flyback transformer (high voltage until spark gap break down).
7_ The corona discharge and leakage.
8_ The damping of this circuit system.

I don't know.. Nonsense then.

I don't know the answers to that, but I would be curious if anyone more knowledgeable can explain how something like your system works. I attached the calculation for dv/dt. With your system at 1MHZ and 24000V it ends up being around 150KV/uS, whereas you have 4 capacitors rated at around 2K each, so you're potentially exceeding the rating by 18.75x lol.

Again don't feel bad about it, apparently people are doing it. Here's a link to a youtube video with a similar tesla coil and the builder admits in the comments they did no calculations on the capacitors lol:

/>

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
You might be onto something on the losses idea though, with nothing attached I am putting out 6200V but across the spark gap when it's running it's only 2100V...

Maybe that means I can increase the voltage until it's 6000 across the gap actual hmm

Also I'm just going to button this one up and call it done, then build a new V2 and then be done with spark gaps. This one is doing everything I hoped it would do more or less especially if I can up the power, then it won't be a waste of capacitors and I'll have a low powered unit for tinkering which is kinda a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:02:34 PM by Michelle_ »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Just needs the top dust cover/coil insulator, and side "doors". It looks about like what I had in mind and everything fits inside as intended. Might mess with it later and see what voltages I can get across the gap if I raise the power supply voltage. As far as I am aware the voltage across the gap is what the capacitors are actually seeing so I should have a ton of room to increase the power. It would also explain why it doesn't spark under 6000 volts since it's probably actually more like 2000 volts across the spark gap? Not sure if this is normal or good.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:22:52 PM by Michelle_ »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
I found out some interesting stuff in case anyone is curious, it turns out the static spark gap is EXTREMELY sensitive to adjustment. Fractions of a mm can change the voltage across the gap by thousands.

It seems that it needs more voltage to start than it will use for steady state. Also, interestingly, at a certain point increasing the input voltage will decrease the steady state voltage and increase the frequency of the sparking.

I think unless you're measuring the voltage across the gap it's difficult to have any idea what the real voltage is (at least for me lol). I think some people putting 24V through the flyback are not getting anywhere near 24000v across the gap, especially if it's a basic two part gap. Maybe it's different with a multi-contact gap but I'm not sure because I haven't tried one.

I calculated my MMC's maximum dv/dt at 5500v steady state (12000v/uS) and have it now set to run steadily at 5000v (with a no-load voltage of 7300). Now it's breaking out of the toroid on its own.

Does anyone know the implications of voltage vs repetition rate? It seems like it's possible to adjust it so it's repeating slower or faster but has the same voltage.

Again I don't really know what I'm doing here but I'm trying to learn.

Edit: math
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 06:05:35 AM by Michelle_ »

Offline NyaaX_X

• View Profile
Hi,
Maybe you can find something in Richieburnett's webpage
https://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

Best Regards,

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Hi,
Maybe you can find something in Richieburnett's webpage
https://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

Best Regards,

Thanks that’s the only page I’ve seen that goes into any kind of useful detail. Seems like all anyone cares about is making the most powerful drsstc they can afford.

Offline MRMILSTAR

• High Voltage Senior
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    • View Profile
Voltage and rep rate are related. The relationship depends on the available current from your transformer. You can get an idea by looking at the output of JAVATC. Specifically, look at the capacitor charge level output. This will show you the voltage level of the capacitor charge at the end of each rep just before discharge.
Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Retired electrical engineer

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Voltage and rep rate are related. The relationship depends on the available current from your transformer. You can get an idea by looking at the output of JAVATC. Specifically, look at the capacitor charge level output. This will show you the voltage level of the capacitor charge at the end of each rep just before discharge.

I saw that on there but I wasn't sure what to make of that since I have a DC power supply (and their calculator requires HZ and also throws out funny numbers if I just put 60). That's why I was thinking I could measure the voltage across the spark gap terminals but since it's reading lower than the voltage I would read with nothing connected to the power supply I'm not sure what the voltage on the capacitors actually is... Might just be missing a key fact here.

Offline NyaaX_X

• View Profile
SSTC are more flexable for controlling and have better efficiency performance. But need more checking to avoid the over rated operation and transient rate to the switching components.

For SGTC, there are only transformer to transformer. If anything broken, it would be simply to be find out.

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
Yeah the spark gap does seem simpler for sure.

I'm going to totally redo this one though. There was a defect in my secondary and a small piece of the wiring burned out, I think it's been this way the whole time because I noticed an occasional flash but upping the power made it worse.

Upgrades:

- 3" non tapered secondary, taller (14" tall) with thicker wiring (30awg)
- Bigger toroid (3" donut with 9" OD)
- Redesigned primary coil holder with slots for tapping underneath and normal style wire standoffs for zip ties
- Lower overall resonant frequency
- Primary with closer spacing and more turns, range of adjustment encompasses ~15% deviation of designed secondary resonant freq
- Different capacitors with higher dV/dT
- Designed for 12,000V + 25% safety factor; should be able to use readily available industrial 12V din or chassis mount PSU versus my expensive bench top power supply. Voltage across gap will likely be under 12KV thus increasing the safety factor likely to 50%.
- Guard panels for chassis that snap onto the posts
- Strike ring
- Spark gap distance adjustable with precision threaded stage, possibly multi contact gap

This version, as far as I can say, is as "normal" as possible based on suggested ratios, sizes, etc...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:00:18 PM by Michelle_ »

Offline Michelle_

• View Profile
I did it; here is V2 with improvements based on what I learned from V1. Thanks to everyone that has answered my questions and given me advice. It has been a great learning experience.

Disclaimer: I know aesthetically this will not be to everyone's tastes  :o

Material: Almost entirely translucent PETG printed from a bambu p1s (including secondary form, toroid form)
PSU: 12-14V (adjusted to 14v) 120W din rail mounted + ZVS flyback from Amazon/Chiner + 1.5A 120v circuit breaker
Primary: 10 turns (tapped to 8.5-ish) 1/8" copper tubing
Secondary: 3"x14" 30AWG 1300 turns 300KHZ designed 313KHZ actual
Toroid 3" ID 9" OD
Caps: 14x Cornell Dubilier 942C16P22K-F in series
Spark Gap: Single gap 1" steel balls with two fans

With initial tuning in daylight I'm getting 12" (30cm)+ sparks which I think is not bad for a 120W spark gap tesla coil built by a noob

Will continue to tinker with it later, the deep fried neon calculator claims it's possible to get 18" arcs from 120 watts but that seems optimistic, at any rate I'm happy with the improvement from the first iteration. I'm wondering if the toroid is too small because sparks are coming out of the sides even with a breakout point. Pictured is 3" neon globe. Overall unit is 27" (68.5cm) tall.

It could be better and more powerful, theoretically I can run 24v into this flyback but the capacitor situation would get out of hand quickly. Assuming this one doesn't die a sparky death like the first secondary I will move on to some kind of solid state unit next, eventually.

Cheers,

M

High Voltage Forum

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
NyaaX_X
Today at 05:10:40 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 04:24:44 PM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
Today at 04:10:54 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 04:04:11 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
Today at 03:56:57 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 03:46:45 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
Today at 02:59:16 PM
Michelle_
Today at 02:51:27 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 02:49:42 PM
ZakW
Today at 08:34:39 AM
[Beginners]
ZakW
Today at 08:30:29 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 02:35:17 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
Today at 02:07:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 09:55:59 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:16:22 PM
post Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
hal7rr
May 11, 2024, 05:24:34 PM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 10:39:24 AM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
May 11, 2024, 07:02:20 AM
post Re: Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:40:50 AM
post Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
paulp1776
May 11, 2024, 06:23:59 AM
post Re: Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 05:27:22 AM
alan sailer
May 11, 2024, 01:37:37 AM
post Re: designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Twospoons
May 11, 2024, 12:10:44 AM
post designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Luca c.
May 10, 2024, 09:38:05 PM
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 09:24:21 PM
alan sailer
May 10, 2024, 08:43:11 PM
post Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 08:33:47 PM
post Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:34:15 AM
post Re: Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:08:38 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 03:02:13 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 10, 2024, 01:39:53 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 12:06:50 AM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 07:10:19 PM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 06:59:22 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:42:49 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:06:19 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
May 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 09, 2024, 09:15:24 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
Lasr8
May 09, 2024, 04:45:33 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 09, 2024, 03:56:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:16:30 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:00:28 AM
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 09, 2024, 12:48:57 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
radioman
May 08, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
post Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 08:10:41 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
post Re: How do you measure HV current?
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 08, 2024, 07:33:31 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 08, 2024, 01:31:28 PM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 08, 2024, 06:41:48 AM
post Tesla coil amplitude dies after one corona discharge.
Simranjit
May 08, 2024, 05:42:07 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Michelle_
May 07, 2024, 06:46:16 PM
post What capacitor configuration to explode foil?
[Capacitor Banks]
FPS
May 07, 2024, 03:51:32 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
alan sailer
May 07, 2024, 03:20:23 PM
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 11:00:00 AM
post Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 06:07:48 AM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Michelle_
May 06, 2024, 04:43:19 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:26:44 PM
post Re: Feedback core for Tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:24:57 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
May 06, 2024, 04:20:37 PM
post Feedback core for Tesla coil
Simranjit
May 06, 2024, 04:28:59 AM
davekni
May 06, 2024, 02:57:19 AM
alan sailer
May 06, 2024, 02:07:38 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 10:27:01 PM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 10:10:11 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 08:06:11 PM
post Re: Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 04:28:35 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 06:31:32 AM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
flyingperson23
May 05, 2024, 05:48:43 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:28:40 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 03:05:44 AM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 02:54:42 AM
post Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 02:21:54 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 01:46:25 AM
post Re: TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 12:26:38 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 10:48:10 PM
[General Chat]
klugesmith
May 04, 2024, 10:40:15 PM
post TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 09:30:32 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 04, 2024, 08:56:27 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:25:00 AM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:21:02 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:33:40 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:02:48 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 11:39:10 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 10:59:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
May 03, 2024, 09:59:22 AM
post What happened to ArcAttack?
rusirius
May 03, 2024, 02:34:36 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 02, 2024, 05:18:56 AM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:06:40 PM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:01:33 PM
post Re: Watercooling
Mads Barnkob
May 01, 2024, 07:26:03 PM
Michelle_
May 01, 2024, 05:53:47 PM
alan sailer
May 01, 2024, 04:05:23 PM
post Re: X-ray generation from nixie bulbs?
[General Chat]
alan sailer
May 01, 2024, 03:58:29 PM
klugesmith
May 01, 2024, 12:00:01 PM
post Re: X-ray generation from nixie bulbs?
[General Chat]
klugesmith
May 01, 2024, 11:45:53 AM
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:29:48 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
May 01, 2024, 09:46:43 AM
Hydron
May 01, 2024, 09:09:57 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal