Author Topic: Next Gen DRSSTC  (Read 79692 times)

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Re: Next Gen DRSSTC
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
Is it just the recording or is there some stuttering in the music playback?

Do you have more recordings from a little further away, the video does not fully represent how large the coil and sparks really are at those power levels! :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Netzpfuscher

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2019, 08:07:12 AM »
No I have no other videos, the cage is too small for my cellphone. For a bigger image I need a wide angle lens.

Yes you are right, there is stuttering. I investigate this, there are two options. The javascript midiplayer cause this, or there is crap on the serial line in the coil. I added a counter for broken packets in the software. The protocol works like this:

-packet with a sequence number is send to coil
-coil sends a ACK with the sequence number
-the next packet is send
-packet gets corrupted
-no ACK is send
-after 50ms the packet is retransmitted

But 50ms is way to slow for MIDI, you can hear this. I need to play with the parametes perhaps I reduce the retransmit time and introduce a NACK which causes the transmitter to resend the last packet instantaneous.

You don't hear this in the first video. This uses the SID-Synth which has a buffer with around 500ms in the driver.

And we need to change the serial line in the coil. There is a 1m shielded cable from the driver at the bottom to the front panel with the fiber transceiver. In the past we have seen much crap on this line. With the protocol this crap is not visible in the data but it adds jitter.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:25:14 AM by Netzpfuscher »

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
Just a quick question for Netzpfuscher - is the behaviour of the lead_time value changed at all between versions of the UD3 code? I've had a go with a newer version and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the timing of the IGBT switching, whereas previously (at least a year ago!) it seemed to work as intended. I'll have a dig through the code to properly understand how it works, but I thought I'd just quickly ask incase there is an easy answer.

On another note, I have gotten my CY8CKIT-059 dev board up and running (other than the bootloader mode) with an ESP32 for wireless control - seems to work nicely! For those looking to do the same, note that I did need to change things a bit to run the PSoC UART TX on a SIO pin so that I could lower the high output level (the ESP32 isn't 5V tolerant). I used a different board to the Olimex ESP32 as I only wanted Wifi mode and it was cheap on ebay - I will integrate a ESP32-WROOM module directly into my final design whenever I get to that point!

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »
No, I think I haven't touched it. But I cannot guarantee that there is no bug on other changes which can cause this. At the first sight everything looks ok. I haven't measured the leadtime for a while now, all of our coils have the same SKM400 bricks.

I have used a voltage divider on the TX pin for the ESP32.

Actually there is a new feature incoming, a alarm and event system. Which helps a lot to debug a coil.

At the end of the month there is a big event here in Germany "Extraschicht" where we have a high voltage show at a old power station. Besides a 4m SGTC we have the big UD3 DRSSTC. I hope everything works  :o

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Thanks for the answer, I'll have more of a dig myself in the code. I look forward to the new features, and any footage from the show!

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
Good job on the continued development of the software, looks real good with a debugging system and as Hydron says, we look forward to video from the show, hopefully you can get on a distance this time to capture how big it really is :)
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »
I finished the alarm & event system. I added a value field that you can see at which temperate or voltage something happens. The sysfault is much finer, now you can clearly see which signal is bad and stops the coil.

alarms get  --> shows the last 50 events
alarms reset --> clears the event list
signals --> shows the signal states
kill reset --> clears the sysfault registers which are not self clearing

I merged everything in the master branch https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3

@Hydron I cleaned the timing calculations but I can't see any fault. If you find something, feel free to make a pull request. By the way the lead_time resolution is in 15ns.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:03:13 PM by Netzpfuscher »

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »
I have a couple of videos from our high voltage show at the Extraschicht. Everything was working fine  8) The man in suit is my friend Florian.

The big SRSGTC

DRSSTC with Popcorn

DRSSTC with Pirates

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2019, 06:06:30 PM »
There are some new features:
  • Envelope generators for MIDI and SID (ADSR)
  • Signal monitor with auto refresh (q for quit)
  • Synthesizer monitor with auto refresh
  • Rolling mode for alarm monitor (alarms roll)

The envelopes for SID are automatically configured over the SID-register stream. The envelopes for MIDI can be configured over the command line (mch, attack, decay, release) or over MIDI-Control Change messages (CC 73 --> attack CC 75 --> decay CC 72 --> release). You can set different envelopes for each MIDI channel. The envelope modulates the max-current the pulsewidth is constant.

The UD3-node (node.js interface) now supports the network SID-device protocol, you simply can stream SID music over the ACID64 player.

SID Demo:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:09:08 PM by Netzpfuscher »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
That video is awesome and it got so intense at 0:45!

It seems like I am running out of excuses to get a UD3 up and running, didn't someone promise me to write up a guide on which hardware to use etc? Was it Hydron? Futurist? Profdc9? I forgot and unfortunately I do not have the time or mental surplus to take in more new things from scratch right now :)

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2019, 01:54:30 AM »
Profdc9 made a through-hole UD3 PCB to mount the CY8CKIT-059 dev board (which is cheaper than a single chip, and includes a programmer) - given your aversion to SMD this is probably the way to go. Getting the board up and going isn't that hard once you have the bits, though none of us have written a guide yet as far as I know.

I'll likely be having another go with mine in the next week or so (in NZ right now), so will report back on how it runs.

Offline profdc9

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:07 AM »
The through-hole PCB is at

https://github.com/profdc9/DRSSTC-PCB-Pack/tree/master/Psoc5-power

You just need to zip the gerber files and send it to a PCB house like JLCPCB or Seeedstudio and they will send you a board.

Dan

That video is awesome and it got so intense at 0:45!

It seems like I am running out of excuses to get a UD3 up and running, didn't someone promise me to write up a guide on which hardware to use etc? Was it Hydron? Futurist? Profdc9? I forgot and unfortunately I do not have the time or mental surplus to take in more new things from scratch right now :)

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »
I think I can release a binary package in the next days for the UD3 and the interface. Then there is no need for compiling something. At cypress there is a standalone psoc programmer app and after the initial programming you can simply drag and drop a firmware file in Teslaterm for updates.
For a simple "Hello UD3" you only need a Dev-Kit and a micro USB cable. For a teslacoil safe connection you only need a USB to TTL board, a pair of fiber transceiver and the interface software.

On the PC side it is as simple as writing the COM-Port to a config.ini, start the .exe and point your browser to "127.0.0.1:2525"

@profdc9
I need to check the pinout against your PCBs. It's possible that I changed some pins over the time. But it can easily corrected in software.

@Hydron
Whats the status with the lead time? Is there an bug?

Edit: 16.07.19 20:15

I added binarys for the UD3 and Teslaterm:

https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/releases
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3-node/releases

Flash the hex file with psoc programmer: https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-programming-solutions
Configure the config.ini according to you com port and start the interface with: UD3-node-win.exe -c config.ini

UD3-node is only working over the UD3 UART, not over the dev-kit micro usb. You need a USB TTL UART.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:26:05 PM by Netzpfuscher »

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm working on a new Coil ^^ It's nearly identical to the big DRSSTC from the videos.

Resonator:
-1m secondary winding
-~56kHz fres
-500nF 15kV Atesys primary capacitor

Inverter:
-UD3
-2x Electronicon 1800µF 600V DC-Link capacitor
-SKM400 full bridge
-3 phase rectifier -->400V 3ph AC --> 565V DC

Offline Coyote

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I find this very interesting. I took a look into a schematics which is available on the web, both versions Netzpfuscher and through hole variant of Profdc9, they seem almost identical to me.

But there is something that caught my eye that I can't understand, it's about Vbus and Vin monitor.  Netzpfuscher  has a note that on each input a 500k resistor has to be connected externally. All clear, it is a differential HV probe with 100:1 attenuation. But the opamp TL082 is supplied with +/-12V, I guess the output range is almost the same, wouldn't this harm the Psoc5 input?

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
Netzpfuscher, seems like I completely missed your update on the inverter :( Some days the amount of new threads and posts are running wild, but that is nice :)

Nice and solid design, where did you get the DC link capacitors? The blue current transformer is for 50 Hz input current measurement? I can barely read it, is it HIMA timers? Got them cheap somewhere or just at hand, only found only price and that was not low! How about the current rating of the soft-start contactors?

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »
@Coyote
The opamp design is from Steve. You are right, the output can go around +-11V the series resistors should high enough that the output only goes to 5V. But the Psoc pin is protected by a 1k resistor. Perhaps it is good idea to clamp the signal in the next revision.

@mads
I've bought the DC link on eBay. 5 for 100€. The DC links makes the bridge design much more easy ^^
The blue transformer is a hall effect current transformer for the DC behind the rectifier. On the picture I had forgotten to put the wire through. Yes the relays are from HIMA, just simple SIL3 relays ;) I had them at hand. I don't know exactly right now I think the contractors are 40A.

I was a bit lazy the last weeks, we have a turnaround at work... The next thing is to build a enclosure for the inverter. But I have run a static load test:

Offline acobaugh

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:00 AM »
Hey folks! In planning out my next DRSSTC (12" diameter, CM600 full bridge), I finally got a chance to sit down and parse everything discussed in this thread and others relating to the UD3.

What's the current status of this project? I poked through a couple of github repos, and I think I understand what firmware exists, though I haven't tried to build any of it (I don't think PSoC designer/creator run on Linux).

Specifically, I'm looking for the most up to date PCB designs. Kicad or the final gerber files would be nice. I'm a bit partial to SMT, and I'm not afraid of hand soldering a TQFP. So, either an SMT board with headers for a cypress dev kit, or an SMT board for the TQFP (preferred). I found profdc9's SMT Kicad project, but there was a note that it was unfinished and untested.

I'm also willing to help with github wiki pages and docs if/when I get up to speed on this stuff and gain some operational experience with it.

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
Netzpfuscher has a github repo with a PCB design (done in Altium) to take the TQFP, this is then wired up to power, GDT(s), a CT, serial comms (either fibre, or a wifi/ethernet module) etc to build a full controller. Also in other repos is a PC GUI for coil control and ESP32 code.

You may need to have a trawl through the thread and the ud3 github wiki to find the right links but it's all there, at most needing some pin configuration or baud rate tweaking (maybe just because my setup differed slightly).

If you have any issues with the PCB file format (i.e. don't have altium) and there aren't suitable pre-built gerbers the please let me know and I can try and see what formats I can export into.

Offline acobaugh

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
I've been looking through Netzpfuscher's gh repos. I don't have Altium. I was going to try and run the kicad converter tool for altium projects, but if you could export to gerber, I can just take those straight to PCB.

I'm also curious about the secondary CT - I thought I read that had to be added on after the fact - has that not  been added to the PCB?

It's kind of hard to follow along without the ability to open and view the various project files. Maybe someone could export them to png or pdf maybe?

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
Benjamin Lockhart
Today at 06:41:39 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 04:05:49 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM
Keybored
March 16, 2024, 08:46:20 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor for MMC
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:39:24 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
post Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
yourboi
March 16, 2024, 08:20:13 PM
Edi
March 16, 2024, 08:07:55 PM
Edi
March 16, 2024, 03:30:27 PM
Hydron
March 16, 2024, 02:42:39 PM
Edi
March 16, 2024, 02:22:28 PM
alan sailer
March 16, 2024, 12:36:02 AM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 15, 2024, 08:56:58 PM
davekni
March 15, 2024, 08:06:08 PM
Late
March 15, 2024, 06:44:28 PM
davekni
March 15, 2024, 06:20:47 PM
AstRii
March 15, 2024, 05:13:55 AM
post Re: No Corona Discharge with ZVS Driver
[Beginners]
davekni
March 15, 2024, 12:00:51 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 14, 2024, 11:23:20 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 14, 2024, 09:32:27 PM
post Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 14, 2024, 09:29:06 PM
Keybored
March 14, 2024, 09:11:54 PM
[General Chat]
WolfMoonshirt
March 14, 2024, 06:09:27 PM
[Beginners]
MaybeJosh
March 14, 2024, 01:36:35 PM
[Beginners]
MaybeJosh
March 14, 2024, 11:43:23 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
davekni
March 14, 2024, 05:03:41 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
March 14, 2024, 04:56:51 AM
flyingperson23
March 14, 2024, 03:09:45 AM
AstRii
March 14, 2024, 02:23:11 AM
post Bleeder resistor for MMC
Keybored
March 14, 2024, 01:02:32 AM
post Re: Art student Need help with Plasma Toroid
[Beginners]
toooldforthis
March 14, 2024, 12:01:55 AM
post Re: Art student Need help with Plasma Toroid
[Beginners]
alan sailer
March 13, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
post Re: Simple oscillator instead a ZVS
Alberto
March 13, 2024, 09:31:22 PM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 13, 2024, 07:04:35 PM
Twospoons
March 12, 2024, 11:55:37 PM
Alberto
March 12, 2024, 10:10:41 PM
post Re: Electric insulator. Paraffin wax?
[General Chat]
Alberto
March 12, 2024, 10:08:51 PM
post No Corona Discharge with ZVS Driver
[Beginners]
MaybeJosh
March 12, 2024, 09:13:00 PM
post Re: Anyone know of a good variable driver?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 12, 2024, 06:54:50 PM
post Art student Need help with Plasma Toroid
[Beginners]
lovejdz
March 12, 2024, 11:12:01 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 12, 2024, 01:16:48 AM
Twospoons
March 12, 2024, 01:14:35 AM
post Re: New type of hfsstc using self-oscillating current mode class D
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Perolodzilla
March 11, 2024, 04:18:50 PM
TMaxElectronics
March 11, 2024, 12:50:34 PM
[General Chat]
Alberto
March 11, 2024, 08:32:09 AM
flyingperson23
March 11, 2024, 05:01:03 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 11, 2024, 04:23:20 AM
alan sailer
March 11, 2024, 02:30:11 AM
TMaxElectronics
March 11, 2024, 12:37:52 AM
post Electric insulator. Paraffin wax?
[General Chat]
Alberto
March 10, 2024, 11:06:04 PM
post Re: Bleeder resistor in CW multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 10, 2024, 06:58:51 PM
davekni
March 10, 2024, 06:49:36 PM
post Bleeder resistor in CW multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Sugarb0y
March 10, 2024, 05:37:39 PM
alan sailer
March 10, 2024, 02:16:25 PM
Alberto
March 10, 2024, 02:01:12 PM
post New type of hfsstc using self-oscillating current mode class D
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Perolodzilla
March 10, 2024, 01:03:51 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 10, 2024, 10:16:38 AM
flyingperson23
March 10, 2024, 07:10:22 AM
MRMILSTAR
March 10, 2024, 05:18:03 AM
alan sailer
March 10, 2024, 04:50:13 AM
davekni
March 10, 2024, 03:42:28 AM
Twospoons
March 10, 2024, 12:05:09 AM
post DRSSTC Questions
alan sailer
March 09, 2024, 10:40:11 PM
post Simple oscillator instead a ZVS
Alberto
March 08, 2024, 10:49:24 PM
post Re: Frequency
Alberto
March 08, 2024, 10:22:59 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 08, 2024, 08:22:34 PM
post APC Smart UPS 450 Watt, for Server 19" Rack 1U, Teardown
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 08, 2024, 04:07:44 PM
Late
March 08, 2024, 11:56:11 AM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
petespaco
March 08, 2024, 01:59:43 AM
davekni
March 07, 2024, 11:35:01 PM
Alberto
March 07, 2024, 11:00:03 PM
post Re: Unknown Diode Replacement
[Beginners]
davekni
March 07, 2024, 10:55:40 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 07, 2024, 10:46:42 PM
davekni
March 07, 2024, 10:23:27 PM
post Unknown Diode Replacement
[Beginners]
Luca
March 07, 2024, 09:55:48 PM
post Re: GDT Driver
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 07, 2024, 09:55:04 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 07, 2024, 05:07:37 PM
post GDT Driver
[Electronic Circuits]
reklm
March 07, 2024, 04:17:12 PM
Alberto
March 07, 2024, 01:03:47 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 07, 2024, 05:12:31 AM
post Re: Secondary Splicing
Benjamin Lockhart
March 07, 2024, 04:45:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
petespaco
March 07, 2024, 04:32:17 AM
post Re: Secondary Splicing
davekni
March 07, 2024, 03:43:25 AM
post Re: DIY induction guns? (warning:long)
[Induction Launchers, Coil Guns and Rails guns]
Michelle_
March 07, 2024, 03:22:34 AM
post Secondary Splicing
flyingperson23
March 07, 2024, 02:35:54 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal