Author Topic: Bridge output  (Read 7308 times)

Offline flyingperson23

• High Voltage Technician
  • noob :)
    • View Profile
Bridge output
« on: May 29, 2023, 08:46:02 PM »
I'm trying to tune zvs on my tesla coil (bsm150 full bridge, 300A ocd, ud2.9), and the way I read to do this was to minimize ringing on the bridge output. Scoping the output got me the attached image, which seems off to me. Shouldn't it more or less resemble a square wave? The signals to the gates were all normal. Any ideas?

It looks like maybe the transistors are turning on too slowly? Which doesn't really make sense because the design is based on franzoli electronics' alphaDRs, and I used the same igbts and 5.1ohm gate resistors he did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 10:41:06 PM by Mads Barnkob »

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Re: Bridge output
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 10:44:47 PM »
Are you testing at a low DC bus voltage? The IGBT output capacitance is constant, which makes it a major contributor to switching spikes at low voltages. Get up around 100VDC and the spikes should percentage wise to inverter output, be much smaller.

Also, please use edit when adding new information, instead of double posting.
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:58:51 AM »
Shouldn't it more or less resemble a square wave?
Parasitic inductance of interconnect (wiring and/or ECB and/or bus bars) is causing the non-square wave shape.  Connecting the scope probe and ground clip as close as possible to low-side IGBT collector and emitter will help.  Also helps to keep scope probe ground lead as short as possible and tight against probe body to avoid inductive loops that couple to H-bridge current.  There are tutorials somewhere here about scoping techniques.
If problems persist, images of H-bridge layout and probe placement will help.  And some scope images zoomed in to one or two cycles for better viewing of details.
David Knierim

Offline Manz

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 10:19:14 PM »
It would be useful to see primary current and inverter output at the same time to ceck if the ZCS is correct, my coil's inverter output looks almost the same when the phaselead is way off.
Also as Mads mentioned the bus voltage could be a problem if too low

Offline flyingperson23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 11:44:22 PM »
Image 1 shows the gate of one of the upper transistors in yellow and the bridge in blue. Image 2 is c-e of the same transistor, but all the transistors look similar. Image 3 shows current in yellow and bridge output in blue. I have 7m3-223 and 233 inductors and sweeping through both their ranges does nothing noticeable except reduce the spikes seen in image 4, which is what it looks like with no phase lead. Image 5 is a close up of one of the transitions and definitely shows something, but I'm not sure what. All pictures were taken with a bus voltage >100V, and the problem seems to get worse with higher voltage.

Offline Manz

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 01:27:17 AM »
Image 3 makes me think there is some kind of phasing problem
The inverter is switching at peak current, it's probably 90° out of phase. What are you using for your CT? A wrong core material and permeability might be the cause of that phaseshift

Offline flyingperson23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 04:31:36 AM »
I used EVR's CT kit with their ferrites.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 04:52:33 AM »
Image 1 shows the gate of one of the upper transistors in yellow and the bridge in blue.
Do you have a differential scope probe to measure upper IGBT Vge?

Image 3 shows current in yellow and bridge output in blue.
How is current measured?  Do you have a 3rd CT (or 3rd CT second-stage)?  What burden resistors are on each CT?  Is UD2.9 feedback resistance 51 ohms as default?  What resistance is on OCD feedback after diode bridge in UD2.9?  What resistance is on current measurement CT?  What are the CT ratios?  Are the EVR parts just cores or pre-wound CTs?

The inverter is switching at peak current, it's probably 90° out of phase.
Yes, something is quite wrong.  More details are needed to determine if this is a measurement issue or performance issue.  I'm guessing measurement.  Besides above questions, images of probing will help, including where scope probe ground leads are connected and how differential probe wires are routed.
David Knierim

Offline flyingperson23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 04:16:10 AM »
I don't have a differential probe, I just leave my scope ungrounded and only measure 1 non-floating thing at a time. The current is measured with a third 1:100 CT with .25ohm burden. The feedback resistance is 51ohm. The OCD burden is 5.1 ohms, and seems to work fine. The main CTs are cascaded 1:1024, and I'm fairly certain that's not the issue as I tried the inverter with a known working CT from a different coil and it gave the same output. The EVR parts were cores with wire to wind them, but not prewound. It's a little hard to see but I have the scope ground connected to one side of the bridge output and probe connected to the other, and the second probe is connected straight to the output of the CT.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 04:52:49 AM »
It's a little hard to see but I have the scope ground connected to one side of the bridge output and probe connected to the other, and the second probe is connected straight to the output of the CT.
Certainly accurate to say "hard to see".  Is the upper probe measuring bridge output?  If so, is the probe ground connection around the probe ring normally used for ground lead, or at the probe tip?

Either way, large loops between scope probe tip and ground on lower probe adjacent high current (primary current) wiring (also with large loop area) is likely making measurements way off.

Best to have primary coil wires paired as close together as voltage allows.  Twisted together is great if primary lead wire insulation is thick enough to handle primary voltage.

Scope measurements are best made from opposite side of H-bridge, or at least kept away from primary current wiring (away from MMC and leads to primary coil) and away from primary coil itself.

For measuring H-bridge output, best to connect scope probe ground lead to Vbus- (low side of H-bridge power) and measure one side of H-bridge output.  Avoids high-frequency signal on scope case, which couples to other measurements.  Make a second measurement of other output if you suspect a problem with bridge causing outputs to not be complimentary.

Measuring CT voltage across 0.25 ohm resistor would be best with coax all the way from 0.25 ohm resistor to scope input.  That relatively-low-voltage signal will be sensitive to any scope probe tip-to-ground loops.
David Knierim

Offline flyingperson23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 12:07:22 AM »
I got better results switching measurement positions to be closer. That was borrowing a primary from a different coil, which was far away. Now with the actual primary right on top of it, no measurements positions seem normal, even directly on the IGBT outputs. The image attached shows the output of one transistor in blue and a floating probe next to the primary in yellow, so I'm going to assume it's just the high current throwing everything off.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 03:58:03 AM »
a floating probe next to the primary in yellow
Around high voltage, floating probes will always pick up significant signal.

Reasonable scope measurements are possible.  Requires minimizing wire loop areas for both high current signals (entire H-bridge output through MMC and primary coil) and for measurement connections (scope probe and scope ground connection.  If primary coil is close to h-bridge, may also require a metal shield plate (or foil) between primary and h-bridge.  Needs to be a minimum of primary-coil-radius below primary coil to minimize blocking primary field necessary for TC operation.
David Knierim

Offline flyingperson23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
I unfortunately wasn't the brightest designing this. The primary is right above the bridge, so I'll try making extensions and moving it away. I routed the hv cables to try to minimize loop area and there's not much from the mmc to the primary but there is a good bit between the inverter and mmc pointing a field right at all possible measurement points. I'll see if I can move the gdt and reroute stuff but idk if it'll be possible. Assuming I got phase lead and primary tuned with minimal interference, would there be any long term problems running the coil as it is with the interference?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 08:39:09 PM »
Assuming I got phase lead and primary tuned with minimal interference, would there be any long term problems running the coil as it is with the interference?
If your driver circuitry is on an ECB with good ground planes, probably no issue.  If driver is hand-wired breadboard, may cause issues.  Shielding around driver would help if there are issues.
David Knierim

Offline Felix M.

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
Hi all,
I have some similar problems with my bridge. I'm using a SKM200GB218D fullbridge in combination with a 324nF MMC. The operating frequency is at 80kHz. The driver is an UD 2.7C THT. I have gate resistors with 5.1Ω, a diode for faster discharge and some 33V zener diodes for protection.

After doing some static load test with 64V on the bus, I got this for a bridge output:

(Notice how the maximum voltage reaches double the Vbus)

I'm not too sure how valid the next shot is, because channel 1 on my scope malfunctions and the sine wave is slightly behind to where it should be. It still confirms that the coil is pretty much hardswitching:

Tuning the phase lead with the inductor doesn't work at all

I think gate signal's rise and fall times are also not as fast as they are supposed to be:

It's a 15:15 GDT on a N30 ferrite core. (Here is a link: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/871-B64290A0040X830 )

Here is a shot of the UD 2.7C output with the GDT attached:

Back to the brigde output: Is there any explanation for such a funky looking signal? Any idea on how to fix it?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 09:33:09 PM »
After doing some static load test with 64V on the bus, I got this for a bridge output:
Is this measurement using a differential scope probe?  Or with either the scope or 64V power supply isolated from line ground?  Even with scope or supply floating, connecting scope probe ground clip to an active signal (bridge output) can cause problems.  Scope or supply internal Y caps pass high frequency current to line.  Unless you have a differential probe, I'd recommend connecting scope ground to Vbus- and measuring one output of the bridge at a time.

If not a scoping artifact, I'd guess the ~400kHz ringing is due to wiring inductance between H-bridge and bulk capacitors resonating with film cap(s) close to IGBTs.  Pictures of your setup are helpful, including showing scope probe connections.

The end of this scope capture also looks odd, as if Vbus were ramping towards 0.  Possible GDT output phasing (lead reversal) issue?

I think gate signal's rise and fall times are also not as fast as they are supposed to be:
It's a 15:15 GDT on a N30 ferrite core.
Probably fine for an 80kHz coil.  Pictures of GDT and wiring would help here.  Reducing GDT leakage inductance (including lead wire inductance) would improve Vge fall time.  Rise time is intentionally a bit longer due to 5.1 ohm gate resistors.  Added delay avoids IGBT cross-conduction (provides dead-time).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:35:37 PM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline Felix M.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2023, 10:49:46 PM »
Thanks Dave

I do have an isolated power supply and was just scoping the output with ground attached to one and the probe head to the other terminal at the bridge. There are also some WIMA FKP sunbber caps on the bridge. I'll do some further test tomorrow and post them along with some pictures of my setup.

Offline Felix M.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2023, 03:15:18 PM »
First of all, here is a picture of my setup:

The inverter bridge is quite huge which is likely the reason for such a wobbly looking signal because of the large stray inductance. A whole redesign of the busbars would be quite a project but if it's the issue, I guess there is no real way around it.

Doing the output scope shots with the ground to the negative rail gives the same signal.

The shots from yesterday were done with 4x 0.47uF of snubber capacitance (2 caps on each IGBT).

I've put the Siemens MKV cap along with 2 more snubbers back in place today and did the shots with them in the setup (not sure if it changed anything)

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2023, 07:30:57 PM »
Doing the output scope shots with the ground to the negative rail gives the same signal.
Looks better to me.  Does the other H-bridge output look similar?   Presuming so, I think you'll be fine with this build.  Output swing is not dropping to half near the end as with previous capture.
What is the H-bridge output connected to for this test?  Is it MMC and primary only?  Or is secondary in place with top load?  Or is there a metal pot or other dummy load on primary instead of secondary?  I don't see the typical higher-frequency ring at the end of the normal frequency ring-down square wave (caused by IGBT output capacitance and primary inductance).  Perhaps induction load is dampening that ring.

The shots from yesterday were done with 4x 0.47uF of snubber capacitance (2 caps on each IGBT).

I've put the Siemens MKV cap along with 2 more snubbers back in place today and did the shots with them in the setup (not sure if it changed anything)
That explains some of the improvement.  With 4x 0.47uF it appears that bus/snubber resonance was at ~400kHz, fifth harmonic of TC frequency.  With more capacitance, bus/snubber frequency is no longer hitting a harmonic of primary frequency.
David Knierim

Offline Felix M.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2023, 08:45:50 PM »
Looks better to me.  Does the other H-bridge output look similar?
The output of the second brick looks almost the same.

The test were performed with the tank circuit at the output of the inverter. The static load was mainly a large isolation transformer along with a mot.

There is some ring-down accuring, I just missed it on the scope shot. I'm really not too sure if more snubber capacitance fixed the wobbly signal, since the scope can now only capture the positive half of the squarewave and you can't see as mutch as in the shot from yesterday. It would be great however  :D

The next problem is the phaselead:

A friend mentioned that the CTs could cause the phaseshift. However if I lay the sine wave from the current over the gate signal of the IGBTs, it's almost perfectly in the zero crossing. Unfortunately the ferrite peace inside my slot 7 inductor broke which makes tuning impossible right now. Tuning the phase with the inductor before when it was still functional didn't really work. I was never able to get it to the zero point. Bypassing it would also not make a huge difference. If you have any suggestion on the right slot 7 inductor, please let me know.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2023, 08:45:50 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
Today at 04:47:35 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
Today at 03:59:27 AM
post Re: Kaizer VTTC 1
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
post Re: capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 28, 2024, 01:01:12 PM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
flyingperson23
March 28, 2024, 05:47:34 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
davekni
March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 AM
post Push Pull VTTC
[Vacuum Tube Tesla Coils (VTTC)]
janno288
March 28, 2024, 01:10:08 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 27, 2024, 10:54:52 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 27, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
post Re: OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
davekni
March 27, 2024, 05:14:36 AM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:47:48 AM
post Re: DRSSTC Questions
davekni
March 27, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
alan sailer
March 27, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
post Re: Super flat QCW simulation (does this look reasonable?)
toooldforthis
March 26, 2024, 11:08:14 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
post Re: Is the UD2.7C under voltage lock out basically worthless?
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 10:46:29 PM
post OCD Triggering Early + Low Output
Saattvik24
March 26, 2024, 09:03:43 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 08:46:59 PM
flyingperson23
March 26, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
alan sailer
March 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 26, 2024, 01:41:49 PM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
March 26, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 26, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
post Re: Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:13:02 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 26, 2024, 03:19:18 AM
thedoc298
March 26, 2024, 01:50:42 AM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 25, 2024, 07:41:29 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 06:45:46 PM
flyingperson23
March 25, 2024, 05:44:25 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
March 25, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
alan sailer
March 25, 2024, 04:27:22 PM
post Re-chargeable 1.5 volt lithium ion AAA batteries
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
March 25, 2024, 02:06:41 PM
post Re: Odd MOSFET Driver Behavior
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 04:43:25 AM
davekni
March 25, 2024, 02:39:40 AM
KrisPringle
March 25, 2024, 12:47:09 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:36:32 PM
post Re: My completed 14-stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 24, 2024, 07:27:24 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 24, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 09:30:21 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 03:04:25 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 23, 2024, 01:38:34 PM
[Voltage Multipliers]
MRMILSTAR
March 23, 2024, 04:20:03 AM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:54:30 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
March 23, 2024, 12:05:57 AM
post capacitor and diodes. Voltage values for a CW
[Voltage Multipliers]
Alberto
March 22, 2024, 11:45:03 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 22, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
post Smoke Screen Machine Protect 950 XP - Teardown of a Smoke Cannon!
[Electronic Circuits]
Mads Barnkob
March 22, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
post Re: Where's all this voltage coming from?
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Benbmw
March 22, 2024, 09:21:13 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
AstRii
March 22, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
post What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
FPS
March 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 22, 2024, 03:57:54 AM
davekni
March 22, 2024, 02:59:25 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM
post Re: 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
rikkitikkitavi
March 21, 2024, 03:08:01 PM
post Re: [WTS] IGBT, Ferrite, Capacitors, Tools, PSU, Industrial components and parts
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Mads Barnkob
March 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Alberto
March 21, 2024, 11:42:07 AM
post Re: Phase Lead Questions
davekni
March 21, 2024, 04:09:14 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 21, 2024, 02:15:31 AM
post My Homemade Structural Analysis X-Ray Machine
[X-ray]
Luca c.
March 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Saattvik24
March 20, 2024, 10:40:00 PM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 08:03:41 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 07:51:57 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 20, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
davekni
March 20, 2024, 04:09:59 AM
post Re: 160mm DRSSTC II project | Questions
Benjamin Lockhart
March 20, 2024, 01:13:23 AM
Keybored
March 20, 2024, 12:45:16 AM
flyingperson23
March 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
Late
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
post Phase Lead Questions
Saattvik24
March 19, 2024, 06:52:09 PM
flyingperson23
March 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 05:01:41 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
Mads Barnkob
March 19, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
March 19, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
March 19, 2024, 04:05:49 AM
[General Chat]
OmGigaTron
March 18, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
post Re: Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 09:07:35 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 08:57:06 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
March 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:59:46 PM
Late
March 18, 2024, 02:33:25 PM
post Can I Trust This Super Cheap Site?
[General Chat]
2020-Man
March 18, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Twospoons
March 18, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
post Re: Best forum for vacuum tube amplifiers?
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
March 17, 2024, 07:42:55 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:15:14 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 05:05:04 AM
davekni
March 17, 2024, 04:50:51 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
March 17, 2024, 04:45:17 AM
post 2x Panasonic Inverter Microwaves - what to salvage, dangers?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
March 17, 2024, 04:17:51 AM
post Where's all this voltage coming from?
Terry
March 17, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
flyingperson23
March 17, 2024, 12:33:06 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal