Author Topic: mini tesla (hopefully not a fail)  (Read 18864 times)

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
Re: mini tesla (hopefully not a fail)
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
That little sketch is great for seeing typos in entered values.  One thing it doesn't show is scale.  Looks like this run accidentally has "inches" checked instead of "cm".  Some parameters remain roughly the same with scaling (coupling factor, impedance), but frequency will be higher once you check the "cm" box.

Have you noticed the button near the bottom for "Make a Load File"?  That allows saving parameters to your computer as a text file, which you can load again next time.  Saves a bunch of time when making small changes.

You will need to increase primary length slightly for 0.022mm wire - enough to accommodate insulation and for tiny bits of space due to imperfect winding of the coil.  Notice that now your "Space Between Turns" output is 0.  Something more like 0.2mm would be more realistic (0.02cm).
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
Ok, i hope this time i got it right, i double checked, everything seems to be ok. Also my primary is done, and the secondary should follow this week, then we will see the real frequency and working of the coil.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »
Looks great!  Have fun with your ongoing construction.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »
Yaayy, i finished...with a few issues, my spool of wire ended before i was able to finish, but only 6 cm are missing, i tested it out with the oscilloscope method, it gave me the highest reading at exactly 375kHz, i plugged in my last circuit, and put 4 of my 0.22uF caps in series, it seems to do the best with 4, powered with 12v, it draws 10A and i got a photo of the gate signal.
However, why is there such a difference between java and real coil? java says something like 136kHz without those last 6 cm that i am missing, and in reality i got 375. Can it be a harmonic ?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2021, 04:04:25 AM »
Yes, it could be a harmonic.  JavaTC isn't going to be far off unless some parameter doesn't match your real coil.

Do you have the top-load in place and connected to the top end of the secondary wire?  Is the bottom end of the secondary connected to ground?  Or, if you are testing by driving the bottom of the secondary with a signal generator, the return (ground) of the signal generator needs to be tied to earth ground.

Besides ground through a line cord, it is best to have a counterpoise - some conductive sheet on the floor or surface under your coil.  Should be far enough under to avoid acting as a shorted turn for your primary, say at least as far below as the primary outer radius.  Aluminum foil is easy and cheap.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2021, 09:22:48 AM »
This is what i got, 116.4kHz with the signal generator and oscilloscope method. With the circuit connected i seem to get the best result with a 0.33uF cap, at 12V it draws 17A. you have the waveforms of the gate drive, and directly on the coil.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
Looks like the secondary resonance is around the 103kHz you measured.  Look closely at the second scope capture.  Besides the higher-frequency harmonics, there is a fundamental that is just over 100kHz (just under 10us per cycle).  For example, count just the most negative peaks across the screen - just over 10 in 100us.  The harmonics are likely resonances in the drive circuitry rather than in the secondary coil.  (The secondary will have higher-frequency modes where peak voltage is in the middle of the coil rather than at the top.  I'm guessing that resonances in the primary circuitry are more significant here.)
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »
Yes, i saw it. But why so much current draw compared to my previous versions?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2021, 02:31:50 AM »
My guess is that the high-frequency part is dissipating a lot of power in the FET.  From what I read here, Slayer oscillator circuits require tuning and luck to achieve success driving Tesla coils.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 06:26:14 AM »
So it is time to find a better driver then. Do you have any recommendations?

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2021, 10:47:08 PM »
I'd start with one of the basic SSTC designs such as Steve Ward's SSTC-5 (Mini-SSTC) or Mads (Kaiser Power Electronics) SSTC-III.  These circuits can be used with secondary current feedback from the bottom of the secondary winding instead of antenna feedback as shown.  Current feedback does require either a current-transformer or a capacitor load to attenuate the secondary current signal enough to match the level of an antenna feedback.  Current feedback would be my personal preference.  However, I have not personally built these SSTC circuits.

For the half-bridge layout, I'd look at my example post for low inductance:
https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=1324.msg9795#msg9795
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
I actually built the Kaizer SSTC III a while back, but never really got it to work, note that i am unfamiliar with GDTs, i never worked with them.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »
That SSTC-III build looks fine.  Your GDT is very well made and wired (presuming it is a ferrite core and not powdered iron).  Make sure unused HC14 inputs are tied to something.  If not already, bridging adjacent pins can work, pin 14-13, 12-11, 10-9, and 5-4.  That avoids any floating input pins.  (This presumes you are using the inverters of pins 1,2,3,4 for the intended circuit.)

At 100uF, the bulk capacitance is on the low side.  That shouldn't keep it from running.  Why not connect this to your latest coil?  Initially feed the antenna input from your signal generator with a ~5Vpp waveform and use a lower bus voltage.  Scope the half-bridge output to verify that GDT outputs are phased correctly.  Scope the gate signals too.  That will show if there is any issue with the GDT core being too low inductance.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
HC14 inputs are grounded, however, i managed to accidentally touch my signal generator's leads to 12V and now it is dead... i made some tests with my internal generator from my oscilloscope, but i can't move the ground. But i do have some questions, you will have test signals from
-555 timer output
-input of the ucc
-one of the GDT's primary terminal
What i don't understand is, it should be on for as long as the 555 is on, right? Here it looks like it is on all the time.
555 timer

Input of ucc

GDT

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »
Sorry to replay, but in edit mode i can't add any attachments. So i added 2 LED modules in antiparalel where the primary should be, just to have a load on the MOSFETs, i scoped the gate of one of the MOSFET, and the result is this. Take note that both grounds are connected together.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
Your first scope capture of UCC input and GDT waveforms shows ~33Hz frequency.  That is way to low for testing the UCC chips and GDT.  It would be good to repeat those scope captures at 100kHz.  (The 555 output should be low frequency as shown, ~7Hz.)

There have been a lot of problems with counterfeit UCC driver chips - cheap Chinese knock-off parts claimed and labeled as real UCC chips.  Most of the problems reported here are with non-functioning enable inputs.  I'd guess that is what you have.  If your budget allows, purchasing parts from standard electronic part distributors is more reliable.  Try searching for part numbers on
      http://www.oemstrade.com/
That will list what distributors carry the part and pricing.

LED modules aren't a good load simulation.  They are designed for constant-current drive and often have considerable capacitance.  For low-power testing, a resistor is fine, or a coil of wire with at least as much inductance as the final primary will have.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
That may have happened because i did not changed the time on oscilloscope, i just wanted to see the waveform, here are the tests with proper time. I ordered them from China because i did not find them on my sites where i usually buy stuff. I did find them now on a big site and they say it's from Texas instruments, so that should be ok. I will wait for them to arrive, probably on Tuesday - Wednesday and rerun all the tests, also ordered 4 irfp460, do you think it will be ok if i make a mains full bridge (i have 230V)? If not, can you recommend some transistors that you think could do the job. Meanwhile, is there any other test i could do with the fake Chinese to prepare for the arrival of proper ones? Also, if this will be a succes i will build a full bridge with indications from your topic on how to build a half bridge with low inductance.
input of the UCC

one of the GDT primary

one of the Gate of the MOSFET

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »
Yes, IRFP460 should be fine for a full bridge on 320Vdc (peak of 220Vac).  IRFP460 Vds rating is 500V, leaving 180V margin for switching spikes.  When driving a full-bridge, C4 (the capacitor in series with GDT primary) will need to be larger.  0.1uF is on the small side for driving two IRFP460 parts.  I'd increase it to 0.47 or 1.0uF to drive a full-bridge.

The GDT input waveform is more rounded than I'd expect.  Can you scope the other GDT input as well?  Can you also scope both GDT inputs with the signal generator set to 50kHz?  That would help in determining what may be causing the rounding, even though your coil will not run at 50kHz.  Increasing the value of C4 might help with the GDT waveform rounding too.

Do you have any information on the core you used for your nicely-constructed GDT?  It looks like ferrite in the image, but pictures aren't definitive in determining core type.  If core inductance is low, that could also explain the GDT input waveform rounding.
David Knierim

Offline bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
I have no idea about the specs of that core, i am sorry. Herer are the tests, however, my closest option is 10kHz, i don't have a 50kHz option output on my cheap scope...sorry that i killed my function generator... When i probe sometimes the whole thing just turns off, so i had to use a 10-1 probe on the scope.

first cap

1uF cap

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »
The GDT appears to handle 10kHz fine, so the core is good.  Waveforms look fine with 1uF.  I suggest leaving 1uF connected.

With 1uF for C4, you could scope low-side-FET gate waveform again and the half-bridge output with some low VBus voltage (10-20V) to verify that gate drive phasing is correct (one FET on while the other is off, not both on together).
David Knierim

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
davekni
Today at 07:28:05 PM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
Bobakman
Today at 06:30:30 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
Michelle_
Today at 06:03:57 PM
Michelle_
Today at 05:26:13 PM
NyaaX_X
Today at 04:03:38 PM
Michelle_
Today at 02:56:40 PM
post Re: DIY induction guns? (warning:long)
[Induction Launchers, Coil Guns and Rails guns]
Benbmw
Today at 06:17:15 AM
Michelle_
Today at 05:46:07 AM
MRMILSTAR
Today at 05:18:31 AM
post Re: IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
davekni
Today at 04:34:52 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
klugesmith
Today at 04:11:53 AM
Michelle_
Today at 04:02:44 AM
post Re: 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
davekni
Today at 03:35:52 AM
MRMILSTAR
April 17, 2024, 11:54:05 PM
post 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
Benjamin Lockhart
April 17, 2024, 11:37:16 PM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 17, 2024, 02:29:30 AM
post Re: Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
klugesmith
April 16, 2024, 11:46:57 PM
Bobakman
April 16, 2024, 10:40:11 PM
post Has anyone tried to build a TMT (extra coil) Tesla coil?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 09:21:39 PM
post Re: Medium Drsstc question
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 08:04:16 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC SKM100
Benjamin Lockhart
April 16, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
post Re: Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:18:40 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:14:53 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 05:44:44 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 16, 2024, 03:12:12 PM
post Re: Drsstc voltage spike question
unrealcrafter2
April 16, 2024, 02:28:01 PM
Saattvik24
April 16, 2024, 01:56:26 PM
Michelle_
April 16, 2024, 06:50:47 AM
Anders Mikkelsen
April 16, 2024, 04:57:47 AM
ethanwu0131
April 16, 2024, 03:40:53 AM
flyingperson23
April 16, 2024, 01:31:17 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:19:52 PM
post 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 11:10:19 PM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 15, 2024, 11:04:19 PM
post Re: Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
Twospoons
April 15, 2024, 11:02:05 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:57:59 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 10:55:46 PM
post Re: Return of Electronics Flea Market in "Silicon Valley"
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 10:37:32 PM
Saattvik24
April 15, 2024, 10:05:00 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 15, 2024, 09:28:50 PM
post Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
klugesmith
April 15, 2024, 09:06:42 PM
Mads Barnkob
April 15, 2024, 08:46:32 PM
[General Chat]
Benbmw
April 15, 2024, 08:38:39 PM
[General Chat]
sky-guided
April 15, 2024, 08:23:40 PM
post How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
Bobakman
April 15, 2024, 06:43:23 PM
flyingperson23
April 15, 2024, 06:29:10 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:21:53 AM
Michelle_
April 15, 2024, 05:15:33 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 04:07:54 AM
davekni
April 15, 2024, 03:49:03 AM
alan sailer
April 14, 2024, 09:46:30 PM
post Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
Michelle_
April 14, 2024, 07:31:00 PM
Saattvik24
April 14, 2024, 02:26:19 PM
post Re: mg75q2ys40 IGBT
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:20:54 AM
Mads Barnkob
April 14, 2024, 07:18:20 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 06:46:40 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 04:18:42 AM
post Re: Upper and Lower Explosive Limits on Confined Flammable Vapors at -79 C.
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:24:20 AM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 13, 2024, 03:20:46 AM
post Game changing tesla coil secondary winding suggestions
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 13, 2024, 03:13:22 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
lbattraw
April 12, 2024, 09:14:58 PM
post mg75q2ys40 IGBT
thedark
April 12, 2024, 08:40:18 PM
post Re: UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:20:30 PM
post Re: Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
davekni
April 12, 2024, 07:12:43 PM
post IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
ethanwu0131
April 12, 2024, 04:47:33 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 12, 2024, 11:43:36 AM
post Mosfet Buffer Stage Questions
[Beginners]
Egg
April 12, 2024, 12:49:02 AM
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:41:16 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
davekni
April 12, 2024, 12:22:41 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 10:45:53 PM
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 07:39:30 PM
flyingperson23
April 11, 2024, 07:24:52 PM
post Re: Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 06:09:30 PM
post UD 2.7 OCD LED stays on, no output during inital test
Admiral Aaron Ravensdale
April 11, 2024, 12:55:16 PM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 03:40:00 AM
sky-guided
April 11, 2024, 03:05:07 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 02:57:33 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 01:44:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 01:31:40 AM
OmGigaTron
April 11, 2024, 01:11:00 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:58:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 11, 2024, 12:31:37 AM
alan sailer
April 11, 2024, 12:30:21 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
April 10, 2024, 11:41:46 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
April 10, 2024, 11:33:32 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 10:41:33 PM
[Beginners]
MRMILSTAR
April 10, 2024, 10:31:31 PM
post Tesla coil safety questions, risk analysis quantified
[Beginners]
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 09:56:35 PM
unrealcrafter2
April 10, 2024, 08:59:26 PM
markus
April 10, 2024, 06:35:30 PM
flyingperson23
April 10, 2024, 05:35:14 PM
post Medium Drsstc question
unrealcrafter2
April 10, 2024, 03:07:02 PM
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 03:42:12 AM
Michelle_
April 10, 2024, 03:41:04 AM
sky-guided
April 10, 2024, 02:50:23 AM
post Re: DRSSTC V1 using BSM1500
Unrealeous
April 10, 2024, 01:32:17 AM
OmGigaTron
April 10, 2024, 01:26:29 AM
OmGigaTron
April 10, 2024, 01:18:35 AM
post Re: Big Coil Big Sparks
Mads Barnkob
April 09, 2024, 07:34:19 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal