Author Topic: Next Gen DRSSTC  (Read 83170 times)

Offline coilerer

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Next Gen DRSSTC
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »
First of all, Thank you, everyone, for your development of the UD3. I'm so excited to get mine integrated into my qcw coil.
On that note. I spoke to TMAX a while ago over email and confirmed that there is no buck ramp qcw mode currently available. Steve Ward mentioned he got "hacky" buck ramps to work on the early UD3. Is there any plan for developing buck ramp output as an alternative to phase shift? It would be great to get the arduino out of my build and just use the UD3.

Another question. Currently, I trigger my coil with an interrupter pin from the arduino. How would I go about telling the UD3 when the arudino is sending a ramp? This may become clearer to me as I mess with it, but I am still waiting on my programmer.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Daniel

Offline Hydron

• Administrator
  • High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2023, 10:19:52 PM »
You could probably do your own "hacky" ramp by fiddling with the PSoC code. Likely would just need tweaking the appropriate logic schematic to output pwm for the ramp instead of a variable phase shift, plus possibly a bit of SW tweaking, but the majority of the code can probably be left as is.

Offline Netzpfuscher

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »
We have no DAC-Channels free. I can give you a PWM output of the ramp, should be no big change.

Offline coilerer

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2023, 01:05:56 PM »
You could probably do your own "hacky" ramp by fiddling with the PSoC code. Likely would just need tweaking the appropriate logic schematic to output pwm for the ramp instead of a variable phase shift, plus possibly a bit of SW tweaking, but the majority of the code can probably be left as is.

That's a bit out of my short-term comfort zone, but maybe I can try in the future :). Thanks!

We have no DAC-Channels free. I can give you a PWM output of the ramp, should be no big change.

That would perfectly replace my Arduino. It would also mean I don't need a wifi connection (to my Arduino) to control my ramps!

Offline Jj

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2024, 11:09:50 AM »

I'll be releasing that version as the UD3.1c once I verified the changes. The next batch of UD3's in my shop will be that version.

Hi Tmax do you have an idea of when your boards may be available again? I’m very keen to get a few to upgrade my old DRSSTCs.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2024, 01:01:36 PM »
I am gathering parts from around the lab and work shop, to get the driver running. When looking for the Ibus current sensor, I did not have a LEM 306-S in my collection, but I did have some Honeywell CSNS300-001 hall effect sensors.

So far so good. Looking at its datasheet, it also takes +/- 12V and delivers 150mA at 300A. Identical to the LEM 306-S. But checking the numbers, 150mA into 50R would give 7.5V, not 5V maximum of the Ibus input.

It is also listed to be a 1000:1 ratio CT (in schematic), but both are 1:2000

So there might be a few errors like wrongly stated turns ratio and shunt resistor should have been 33R instead of 50R?
https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline flyingperson23

• noob :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2024, 06:26:58 AM »
150 mA would indeed give 7.5 volts. My LEM LF 305-S seems to work fine. It's supplied +-5v, so can only output 100mA so is limited to measuring 200A. I put in 2000 as ct2_ratio and it works fine, although it appears to be a few hundred milliamps off. I know the current goes through a RMS filter, could that be causing the error? I need accurate current measurements to control a boost converter with the UD3.1; what would be the best way to get instantaneous/non-filtered readings?

Offline Netzpfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2024, 05:19:18 PM »
@Mads

It's no problem to change the CT2 shunt to something different. It needs no change in the code. Simply solder whatever you like, then change the "ct2_burden" (Ohms) accordingly. It's better not to rely on the internal clamping diodes of the PSOC, so make the shunt
small enough not to fry the MCU input. (There is a 470 Ohms in series, but better safe than sorry). Then change the "ct2_ratio" to 2000 and you're fine.

@flyingperson23
The UD3 software is not designed to output every current sample. It uses DMA to collect 25 samples from the ADC before interrupting the CPU to calculate everything. I implemented this to decrease interrupt load. The current is sampled with 8 kHz the CPU is interrupted at a rate of 320 Hz so that's the rate you're getting 25 sampled at a time. Is that fast enough? Otherwise you need to decrease the
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/892b8c25da2784e880c0c2617d417b14c3421ecd/common/ud3core/config.h#L40

This is the line calculating RMS:
https://github.com/Netzpfuscher/UD3/blob/892b8c25da2784e880c0c2617d417b14c3421ecd/common/ud3core/tasks/tsk_analog.c#L261

Offline Kevindk9

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2024, 02:25:30 AM »
I have a few suggestions to help make this an actual 'universal driver'

-Manual controls
Ability to operate the driver without connecting with a computer. Just a way to use an on/off foot switch and potentiometer to control power. Like it only runs when a button is pushed.

Also, It would be nice to have buttons and hotkeys in Tesla Term also, that way you don't have to go through the drop down menu to do stuff. (the tesla coil messes with my track pad)

-Induction heater mode
Currently im using a slightly modified version of the UD3 code and I run my induction heater in QCW mode. I modified the max on time and minimum repeat time so a new QCW shot happens as soon as the old one ends. The problem is it starts the whole QCW routine each time (hard switching and tracking). I believe this killed my IGBTs once because it hard switches for 10s of cycles at a very high voltage.
Ideally the IH mode would only do the routine a single time and implement a debounce feature to make sure the tank has time to ring down incase you interrupt it.

-Transformer mode
Just a simple mode to run a ferrite transformer. Ability to set a fixed frequency. You could control it using a button press or run it from Tesla Term and use it to modulate the arc and play music.

Offline TMaxElectronics

• High Voltage Engineer
    • View Profile
    • My random (and very empty) electronics blog
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2024, 02:43:08 AM »
Interesting ideas, some of which I have actually at least played around with in the past.
I have a little ferrite core HV source that runs from a UD3 just using pulse width modulation. Pretty much just like you said: you could use the the pw slider in teslaterm to control the output power. I've also used the UD3 as a induction heater on a few occasions (once inadvertandly by having a hammer next to my big coil during testing... that then burned my hand :P).

The problem that I have with implementing that as a permanent feature is that there are some medium to large hardware changes required (especially for ferrite core mode) that aren't easy to do on the fly in the psoc. At least i don't know how :D Just placing different hardware next to the existing one and not enabling it until needed is unfortunately not an option as some types of the psoc hardware are already 100% used. I suppose the induction heater thing might work, but we'd really need to plan a proper mode switch in for that. Not just set the max. dutycycle to 100% :P

The idea of operation without a computer is nice and is actually partially implemented. The autostart option makes the coil behave exactly like a UD2.x or older coil with an interrupter input. But connecting anything to the UD3 directly (as in: without fiberoptic isolation) is not that good of an idea. We've already killed a few PSOCs just with crap coupled in through WS2812 LED strips ::)

But in the end it is an open source project: if somebody has an idea they can get the code and play around with it themselves, and if it works out well contribute back to the main codebase :)

Offline malte0811

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2024, 01:38:21 PM »
Also, It would be nice to have buttons and hotkeys in Tesla Term also, that way you don't have to go through the drop down menu to do stuff. (the tesla coil messes with my track pad)

This is something I have considered previously (mostly for the "kill" button), I just never got around to implementing it. I am currently in the middle of a larger refactor in TT (connecting to multiple coils with a single TT instance), once that is done I can look into hotkeys. Can you open an issue for it at https://github.com/malte0811/Teslaterm so I do not forget about it? In general hotkeys are going to be a "fallback" option though, with a mouse being the intended method of interaction. Have you tried using a "traditional" mouse rather than a touchpad? In my experience this is much more reliable around coils.

Since I'm already posting here: Currently Teslaterm has the option to run as a "headless" server (e.g. on an RPi installed in the coil), which the actual control computer then connects to using a standard browser. Is anyone actively using this mode ("node")? It complicates the code significantly in some places, so I would like to remove it if possible.

Offline Mads Barnkob

• Administrator
  • Executive Board Member
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2024, 07:22:26 PM »
This is the first video in a series of 3, on how to get started with the UD3.1b Tesla coil driver, FiberNet and TeslaTerm.

I love you all for the great work!

https://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk - Tesla coils, high voltage, pulse power, audio and general electronics
https://www.youtube.com/KaizerPowerElectronicsDk60/join - Please consider supporting the forum, websites and youtube channel!

Offline Jj

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2024, 01:39:29 PM »
Excellent video on the UD3!

I ordered some UD3.1C boards from JLCPCB with help from TMAX earlier this year to upgrade a DRSSTC I built way back in 2006. Quite a steep learning curve and very happy with the results so far. 1.6M from the coil to ladder. That seems to be the limit with the 150mm x 600mm toroid. I’m currently changing to a larger one and think it will make 1.8M which is the design target. I don’t seem to have much luck with higher impedance primaries and am currently running with .75uF primary cap (fres 50kHz) with the peak current around 400A. I’ll start a thread for that coil at some point and see if I can’t get some of the excellent wisdom at this forum.

Offline Benjamin Lockhart

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2024, 09:51:08 PM »
400A seems really low for a 0.75uF tank cap! My 60kHz coil with a 0.365uF tank cap gets up to 1000A with over 2m sparks at 130us on time.

Offline Jj

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2024, 12:01:04 AM »
The videos of your coil are very impressive.

Current is intentionally low. The on time for 400A is quite short at 130us. Past their current rises very rapidly if the secondaries energy doesn’t go into a streamer and returns to the primary. The setup is a half bridge of mini blocks and 500V DC. The IXYN 110N120C4H1 used are rated for 220A continuous and 760A 1ms. None have been lost yet, but I am weary of pushing them to far. K is about .17 which seems to really limit the current rise before the notch. I had planned to upgrade to a full bridge, but realised that would really only increase the current and the primary cap would need to be halved!

The secondary is 200mm x 620mm wound with .28mm wire and at least 2000 turns. Way back when it was originally made I was shooting for low fres mainly to be easier on the older IGBTs we had then. My original driver had no phase lead and I suspect the higher current switching was the main cause of IGBT failure. That was with a dual bridge of TO247s and split primary capacitor.

I have some CM600 bricks, but they would be a little wasted so the future upgrade path is looking like SKM300 or 400.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 12:09:38 AM by Jj »

Offline flyingperson23

• noob :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2024, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm running my big and small coils both at their datasheet specified limit - 1200A for CM600 and 300A for BSM150, both for 1ms max on time with pulse skip drivers. The long on times help me get great arcs without pushing IGBTs past their rated limits. Together they've run at least a dozen hours and so far no IGBT failures, so you're probably good to go up to at least 760A assuming you have decent cooling or a thermal shutoff switch. If you're worried about your IGBTs, a thermal shutoff switch might be a good idea. It's saved my (passively cooled) small coil many times.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2024, 07:37:00 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
NyaaX_X
Today at 05:10:40 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 04:24:44 PM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
Today at 04:10:54 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 04:04:11 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
Today at 03:56:57 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 03:46:45 PM
[Beginners]
hal7rr
Today at 02:59:16 PM
Michelle_
Today at 02:51:27 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 02:49:42 PM
ZakW
Today at 08:34:39 AM
[Beginners]
ZakW
Today at 08:30:29 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
Today at 02:35:17 AM
[Beginners]
alan sailer
Today at 02:07:32 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 09:55:59 PM
post Re: Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:16:22 PM
post Help with LabCoatz's Staccato QCW DRSSTC Tesla Coil
[Beginners]
hal7rr
May 11, 2024, 05:24:34 PM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 10:39:24 AM
post Re: Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
May 11, 2024, 07:02:20 AM
post Re: Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 11, 2024, 06:40:50 AM
post Type 77 Metglas Laced Ferrite Core
[General Chat]
paulp1776
May 11, 2024, 06:23:59 AM
post Re: Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 11, 2024, 05:27:22 AM
alan sailer
May 11, 2024, 01:37:37 AM
post Re: designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Twospoons
May 11, 2024, 12:10:44 AM
post designing and building electron gun help!
[General Chat]
Luca c.
May 10, 2024, 09:38:05 PM
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 09:24:21 PM
alan sailer
May 10, 2024, 08:43:11 PM
post Quick question about steve ward mini SST5 resonant frequency
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 08:33:47 PM
post Weird AC/DC mini SSTC build review
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:34:15 AM
post Re: Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 10, 2024, 05:08:38 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 03:02:13 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 10, 2024, 01:39:53 AM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 10, 2024, 12:06:50 AM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 07:10:19 PM
[Beginners]
klugesmith
May 09, 2024, 06:59:22 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:42:49 PM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 03:06:19 PM
[Beginners]
Mads Barnkob
May 09, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 09, 2024, 09:15:24 AM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
Lasr8
May 09, 2024, 04:45:33 AM
[Beginners]
davekni
May 09, 2024, 03:56:52 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:16:30 AM
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 09, 2024, 02:00:28 AM
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 09, 2024, 12:48:57 AM
post Re: Capacitor Blowout
[Sell / Buy / Trade]
radioman
May 08, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
post Question about using mains power and variacs to power this circuit
[Beginners]
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 08:10:41 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
Michelle_
May 08, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
post Re: How do you measure HV current?
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
May 08, 2024, 07:33:31 PM
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 08, 2024, 01:31:28 PM
[Beginners]
Twospoons
May 08, 2024, 06:41:48 AM
post Tesla coil amplitude dies after one corona discharge.
Simranjit
May 08, 2024, 05:42:07 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Michelle_
May 07, 2024, 06:46:16 PM
post What capacitor configuration to explode foil?
[Capacitor Banks]
FPS
May 07, 2024, 03:51:32 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
alan sailer
May 07, 2024, 03:20:23 PM
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 11:00:00 AM
post Aluminum electrolytic capacitor ripple current issue
[Beginners]
NyaaX_X
May 07, 2024, 06:07:48 AM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Michelle_
May 06, 2024, 04:43:19 PM
post Re: 3D printed mini-slayer: world's weakest tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:26:44 PM
post Re: Feedback core for Tesla coil
Mads Barnkob
May 06, 2024, 04:24:57 PM
post Re: CM400 Induction Heater
[Electronic Circuits]
Anders Mikkelsen
May 06, 2024, 04:20:37 PM
post Feedback core for Tesla coil
Simranjit
May 06, 2024, 04:28:59 AM
davekni
May 06, 2024, 02:57:19 AM
alan sailer
May 06, 2024, 02:07:38 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 10:27:01 PM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 10:10:11 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 08:06:11 PM
post Re: Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
alan sailer
May 05, 2024, 04:28:35 PM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 06:31:32 AM
post Re: Big Coil Build Log
flyingperson23
May 05, 2024, 05:48:43 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 04:28:40 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 03:05:44 AM
davekni
May 05, 2024, 02:54:42 AM
post Ferrite material for GDT SSTC/DRSSTC
[General Chat]
thedark
May 05, 2024, 02:21:54 AM
Michelle_
May 05, 2024, 01:46:25 AM
post Re: TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
davekni
May 05, 2024, 12:26:38 AM
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 10:48:10 PM
[General Chat]
klugesmith
May 04, 2024, 10:40:15 PM
post TVS diode vs RCD snubber for protect IGBT peak voltage
[General Chat]
thedark
May 04, 2024, 09:30:32 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 04, 2024, 08:56:27 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:25:00 AM
post Re: Benjamin's DRSSTC 2 in progress
Benjamin Lockhart
May 04, 2024, 04:21:02 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:33:40 AM
flyingperson23
May 04, 2024, 01:02:48 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 11:39:10 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
May 03, 2024, 10:59:34 PM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
May 03, 2024, 09:59:22 AM
post What happened to ArcAttack?
rusirius
May 03, 2024, 02:34:36 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
davekni
May 02, 2024, 05:18:56 AM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:06:40 PM
post Re: Adjustable High Voltage Electrostatic Precipitator Power Supply with 30KV 300W
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:01:33 PM
post Re: Watercooling
Mads Barnkob
May 01, 2024, 07:26:03 PM
Michelle_
May 01, 2024, 05:53:47 PM
alan sailer
May 01, 2024, 04:05:23 PM
post Re: X-ray generation from nixie bulbs?
[General Chat]
alan sailer
May 01, 2024, 03:58:29 PM
klugesmith
May 01, 2024, 12:00:01 PM
post Re: X-ray generation from nixie bulbs?
[General Chat]
klugesmith
May 01, 2024, 11:45:53 AM
dante
May 01, 2024, 10:29:48 AM
[Electronic Circuits]
markus
May 01, 2024, 09:46:43 AM
Hydron
May 01, 2024, 09:09:57 AM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal