Author Topic: what should i use for insulators between igbt's and heatsink?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline yourboi

• High Voltage Enthusiast
    • View Profile
what should i use for insulators between igbt's and heatsink?
« on: December 13, 2023, 08:33:02 PM »
I believe the FGH75T65SHDTLN4 I am using do not have a built in insulator between the collector and metal backing.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
Re: what should i use for insulators between igbt's and heatsink?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 09:11:34 PM »
Best thermal performance is with separate heatsinks for each IGBT.  Heatsinks electrically live (at IGBT collector voltage), so need to be insulated from each other and ground.  This is the way most of my projects are built.

Next best (and occasionally better) is to add a thick copper heat spreader under each IGBT, then a larger thermal pad between spreader and heat sink.  Copper spreader adds thermal mass to handle short heat bursts such as in DRSSTC enable pulses.  Larger thermal pad increases heat transfer to heatsink.

Of course, either of the above requires good high-thermal-conductivity thermal compound under IGBT.
David Knierim

Offline yourboi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 11:03:26 AM »
Best thermal performance is with separate heatsinks for each IGBT.  Heatsinks electrically live (at IGBT collector voltage), so need to be insulated from each other and ground.  This is the way most of my projects are built.

Next best (and occasionally better) is to add a thick copper heat spreader under each IGBT, then a larger thermal pad between spreader and heat sink.  Copper spreader adds thermal mass to handle short heat bursts such as in DRSSTC enable pulses.  Larger thermal pad increases heat transfer to heatsink.

I am planning to make use a bunch of pc heatsinks I have leftover from old computers that have the fans already connected or common fans I can connect. most drsstcs and sstcs I see built use large wide heatsinks rather then the more narrow heatsinks used for pcs. I imagine I could only attach 2 igbts to each heatsink using this method for a half bridge. while one of the heatsinks I own could only use for a single igbt cooling despite its ability to cool a entire smaller sstc. this is probably the reason I don't see others using them for sstc building.

maybe a full bridge could be squeezed on the bigger one while sacrificing performance. I attached photos to make it clear what heatsinks I am working with.

Of course, either of the above requires good high-thermal-conductivity thermal compound under IGBT.

This will be a non issue as I only have high end artic silver left from my last pc build as a thermal compound. The idea of using liquid metal between the igbt and copper pad has crossed my mind.

my concern is picking a suitable thermal pad. I am also unsure how I would apply the pressure to the thermal pad and copper plate.

Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:06:33 AM by yourboi »

Offline NyaaX_X

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 02:40:25 PM »
I think there're some thermal pads made from silicon or mica for single TO-247 or TO-3P transistor.

And in my experience the metal backing of TO-247-3, TO-3P n-channel MOSFET or IGBT are directly connect with Drain or Controller internally.

And if you don't want to drill screw hole to the heat sink to press the transistor . Maybe clamp them.

Offline davekni

• Executive Board Member
  • Physicist, engineer (electronic), and hobbiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 08:55:28 PM »
This will be a non issue as I only have high end artic silver left from my last pc build as a thermal compound.
Yes, arctic silver is good.  That's what I use for most of my projects.  Just be sure to keep it away from IGBT leads since it is electrically conductive.

I think there're some thermal pads made from silicon or mica for single TO-247 or TO-3P transistor.
Mica is terrible for thermal conductivity, though it was used decades ago for lack of better options.

Maybe clamp them.
Yes, some form of clamping that applies pressure over IGBT die is much better than just a screw through the IGBT mounting hole.  This is one good example (not including a heat spreader):
    https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=2191.msg16147#msg16147
I'm terrible at mechanical design, so don't have any good recommendations for how to clamp to the heatsinks you have.

Here is an example of a heat spreader and 3D-printed clamp.  Not sure about long-term creep stability of 3D printed parts, but it appears to work for Lucasww's project:
    https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=2621.msg19424#msg19424

And another example of heat spreaders, but using screws.  Screw holes are not best place to apply force.  Final image in this post:
    https://highvoltageforum.net/index.php?topic=2394.msg18907#msg18907

my concern is picking a suitable thermal pad.
Hope others will answer here.  Since I use electrically-live heat sinks, I have limited experience with thermal pads.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 09:06:57 PM by davekni »
David Knierim

Offline NyaaX_X

• High Voltage Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 04:16:40 AM »
Yes I know mica have good electrical isolate ability, but not good at transfering heat. But I still see there're selling the mica type transistor thermal pads. And the more common one, I think is the silicon type, I guess they are similar to those thermal pads apply on GPU RAM thermal pads.

Offline yourboi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm terrible at mechanical design, so don't have any good recommendations for how to clamp to the heatsinks you have.
I am also comedically bad at mechanical design

yeah, I hope someone passing by gives a suggestion. I'll lurk around and see what others are using while I'm free today. I plan to go the copper heat spreader method like suggested as my goal is to get the igbt to preform more like the 25°C characteristics.

Offline Anders Mikkelsen

• Global Moderator
  • High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 09:08:15 PM »
Sil-pads are easy to use, but the performance is not amazing. For a TO-247 package, they add 2 - 3 k/W thermal resistance for a TO-247 for typical materials, down to around 1.5 k/W for high performance versions. That's 70+ degrees Celcius of additional junction temperature rise at a dissipation of 50W per device. Micas can be around twice as good, at the cost of more drain-heatsink capacitance on account of their lower thickness. Kapton film can perform better, but add even more capacitance for a given thermal resistance, and I've had failures from less than perfect heatsink surface condition and high dV/dt stress. That's 8 kV rated kapton thermal foil that failed after around half an hour at 800 V, 50 V/ns, 75 kHz.

Ceramics are by far the best. Alumina (Al2O3) at 1 mm thickness gives around 0.25 k/w, which can be reduced by going down to 0.63 or 0.50 mm at the cost of some capacitance (which will still be a lot lower than with mica or kapton). Electrical robustness is also extremely good. For even better performance, AlN can be used, which is almost as thermally conductive as aluminium or BeO, at some cost. Note that ceramics are a bit more finicky when it comes to flatness, both of the insulator sheet and the heatsink surface. Some extruded heatsinks are far from flat, others are pretty good, but ones with machined surfaces will always be best.

Spring clip clamping is also superior to using a screw through the package hole, by providing more pressure, more even distribution, and better creepage distances.

Some Aliexpress ceramic insulators, checked or sorted for flatness within say 50 µm, paired with a flat heatsink, a good paste in a not too thick layer, and a good spring clip like the MAX08NG, gives very good performance without being too expensive or difiicult to work with. Beware that some pastes are somewhat conductive, but there are good ones without metallic fillers. Even metallic fillers pastes can be used, as long as it's not smeared near the package pins or across the edge of the insulator.

Edit: as mentioned, direct contact reduces the interface thermal resistance even more, with the same concerns about using a good paste, not applying too much, having a flat heatsink and applying even pressure. Small heatsinks with a lot of air flow can perform better than large heatsinks under any air flow conditions. A bottleneck is how far the heat can spread from the transistor, due to the bulk thermal resistance of the heatsink. Having the fins close to the device and good forced airflow is hard to beat.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 09:12:48 PM by Anders Mikkelsen »

Offline Lucasww

• High Voltage Experimenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 08:20:52 AM »
yeah, I hope someone passing by gives a suggestion. I'll lurk around and see what others are using while I'm free today. I plan to go the copper heat spreader method like suggested as my goal is to get the igbt to preform more like the 25°C characteristics.

I used these pads in my QCWDRSSTC: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/t-global-technology/TG-A9000-30-30-0-5/16602234
They are thermally and electrically very good.
do be careful if you decide to use them however, they are very soft and easy to tear.

Offline VEKTOR

• animated GIFs?! Abomination...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 11:39:38 AM »
Funny, I use the same heatsink in my current project. Old Dell machine, socket 775.
Step and FreeCAD files attached, if of any use...

Made good experience with Tgard K52-1 Kapton material.
It has pre applied phase change thermal compound on both sides and is considerably robuster compared to soft pads.
TO247: https://mou.sr/48sW5Cl

If sufficiently heated, the thermal compound becomes viscous. After cooling down it solidifies again and will not become viscous again.
The package is now stuck/glued to the heatsink. Not extremely, but very noticeably.

High Voltage Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 11:39:38 AM »

* Recent Topics and Posts

post Re: CM300 Half bridge coil build log
[Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla coils (DRSSTC)]
Benjamin Lockhart
Today at 07:48:18 AM
post Re: Watercooling
flyingperson23
Today at 07:39:32 AM
post Re: Next Gen DRSSTC
flyingperson23
Today at 07:37:00 AM
post Re: Watercooling
Benjamin Lockhart
Today at 07:18:27 AM
post Watercooling
flyingperson23
Today at 07:13:48 AM
post High Voltage from LG Microwave Inverter
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
GLaDOS
Today at 04:11:30 AM
Jj
Today at 12:01:04 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 27, 2024, 09:51:08 PM
post Re: What's an alternative to those dubious high voltage generators from Amazon?
[Beginners]
MRMILSTAR
April 27, 2024, 04:20:46 PM
Jj
April 27, 2024, 01:39:29 PM
post What's an alternative to those dubious high voltage generators from Amazon?
[Beginners]
Devil Master
April 27, 2024, 05:32:59 AM
post Re: Tesla coil UV eye protection?
[General Chat]
klugesmith
April 26, 2024, 08:46:40 PM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
[Spark Gap Tesla Coils (SGTC)]
Michelle_
April 25, 2024, 06:30:43 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 25, 2024, 06:14:35 PM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 25, 2024, 05:13:46 PM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
April 25, 2024, 11:40:08 AM
post Re: Small-ish 3D printed SGTC via cheap ZVS flyback build, humbly asking a couple ?s
NyaaX_X
April 25, 2024, 06:01:50 AM
Michelle_
April 25, 2024, 05:55:45 AM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 25, 2024, 05:47:36 AM
MRMILSTAR
April 25, 2024, 05:45:36 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 25, 2024, 05:41:05 AM
[General Chat]
Twospoons
April 25, 2024, 04:33:57 AM
[General Chat]
alan sailer
April 24, 2024, 08:02:47 PM
Michelle_
April 24, 2024, 06:51:17 PM
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 24, 2024, 06:45:00 PM
[General Chat]
Mads Barnkob
April 24, 2024, 05:18:27 PM
NyaaX_X
April 24, 2024, 05:14:27 PM
post Re: Ignitron trigger drive ideas?
[Capacitor Banks]
huntergroundmind
April 24, 2024, 02:51:23 PM
post Re: First DRSSTC SKM100
davekni
April 24, 2024, 05:58:27 AM
post Tesla coil UV eye protection?
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 24, 2024, 05:17:22 AM
post Re: Tenebrescent Potassium Iodide
[Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTC)]
alan sailer
April 24, 2024, 12:39:59 AM
flyingperson23
April 23, 2024, 11:07:41 PM
Saattvik24
April 23, 2024, 10:57:39 PM
post Re: Plasma Torid - Class E Self Resonant Dual/Stereo - Plasma Torid Build
OmGigaTron
April 23, 2024, 09:33:49 PM
haversin
April 23, 2024, 06:00:42 PM
Michelle_
April 23, 2024, 03:50:49 AM
alan sailer
April 23, 2024, 03:13:31 AM
haversin
April 23, 2024, 12:50:40 AM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 11:21:06 PM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 08:11:00 PM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 06:15:30 PM
NyaaX_X
April 22, 2024, 05:52:50 PM
post Tenebrescent Potassium Iodide
alan sailer
April 22, 2024, 05:52:13 PM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 04:31:52 PM
NyaaX_X
April 22, 2024, 04:05:34 PM
markus
April 22, 2024, 01:02:30 PM
post Re: 100kHz CM300 gate resistor choice
Benjamin Lockhart
April 22, 2024, 06:32:35 AM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 06:24:10 AM
post M2000NM1 toroid for gdt tesla coil
[General Chat]
thedark
April 22, 2024, 05:13:15 AM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 02:25:29 AM
alan sailer
April 22, 2024, 02:09:18 AM
Michelle_
April 22, 2024, 12:14:21 AM
Michelle_
April 21, 2024, 09:47:15 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 21, 2024, 08:34:02 PM
Michelle_
April 21, 2024, 06:09:57 PM
davekni
April 21, 2024, 06:21:54 AM
post Re: Insulate the secondary of the Tesla coil with a PET plastic bottle
[General Chat]
Michelle_
April 21, 2024, 06:18:30 AM
[General Chat]
davekni
April 21, 2024, 06:12:31 AM
[General Chat]
MRMILSTAR
April 21, 2024, 05:19:55 AM
Michelle_
April 21, 2024, 02:29:17 AM
alan sailer
April 21, 2024, 01:28:59 AM
post Insulate the secondary of the Tesla coil with a PET plastic bottle
[General Chat]
thedark
April 21, 2024, 01:19:44 AM
flyingperson23
April 21, 2024, 12:55:25 AM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 11:25:32 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 20, 2024, 10:28:26 PM
davekni
April 20, 2024, 10:23:28 PM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 10:06:44 PM
davekni
April 20, 2024, 09:21:55 PM
davekni
April 20, 2024, 09:16:14 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 20, 2024, 08:58:40 PM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 06:18:26 PM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 06:15:26 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 20, 2024, 03:45:43 PM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 20, 2024, 06:33:37 AM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 05:45:04 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 20, 2024, 05:34:16 AM
Michelle_
April 20, 2024, 04:50:57 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 20, 2024, 04:03:55 AM
Benjamin Lockhart
April 20, 2024, 02:35:56 AM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
[Laboratories, Equipment and Tools]
Bobakman
April 19, 2024, 09:37:52 PM
post Re: How to get a GE Yokogawa AB40 Sync Scope to rotate without a powerplant.
klugesmith
April 19, 2024, 09:20:10 PM
Mads Barnkob
April 19, 2024, 07:22:26 PM
Michelle_
April 19, 2024, 04:46:36 PM
alan sailer
April 19, 2024, 03:49:28 PM
Bobakman
April 19, 2024, 01:53:57 PM
MRMILSTAR
April 19, 2024, 05:24:19 AM
post Re: Difference between these transformers
[Transformer (Ferrite Core)]
Tesla Junior
April 19, 2024, 04:24:09 AM
Michelle_
April 19, 2024, 04:20:35 AM
Bobakman
April 19, 2024, 04:05:28 AM
alan sailer
April 19, 2024, 04:03:54 AM
Michelle_
April 19, 2024, 03:19:19 AM
post Re: IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
davekni
April 19, 2024, 03:09:29 AM
post Re: IKY150N65EH7, is it good for DRSSTC
unrealcrafter2
April 19, 2024, 01:47:37 AM
Bobakman
April 19, 2024, 12:19:21 AM
klugesmith
April 18, 2024, 11:33:01 PM
Bobakman
April 18, 2024, 11:15:15 PM
davekni
April 18, 2024, 10:59:36 PM
post Re: What actually kills MOSFETs?
[Beginners]
unrealcrafter2
April 18, 2024, 10:03:48 PM
klugesmith
April 18, 2024, 09:53:25 PM
post Re: Welcome new members, come say hello and tell a little about yourself :)
[General Chat]
unrealcrafter2
April 18, 2024, 09:50:09 PM

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal